netkas.org forum
April 25, 2017, 09:13:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 5xxx displayport monitors and active adapters working with RadeonFramebuffer  (Read 57961 times)
calvintml

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:39 AM »

bb2b,
Thanks for your post.  Looks like eyefinity (3+ monitors) is broken in the new kexts.  I had never tested this until now.  Anyone successfully gotten eyefinity to work on a non-apple card with sandybridge, lion or 10.6.8 kexts?  Anyone gotten eyefinity to work on an apple card in a hackintosh?  Please post!
jrd0

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, the power was ment to go off for 3 hours but instead ended up being over a day. What did people do before electricity  Lips sealed

It was not injecting but I put it in the boot.plist instead and now it does, but I have the same problem that I can only have two monitors working, DVI + DP or DVI + DVI.

Gpzjock

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »

What did ppl do before electricity? Have lots of kids.....
calvintml

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »

bb2b,
Thanks for your post.  Looks like eyefinity (3+ monitors) is broken in the new kexts.  I had never tested this until now.  Anyone successfully gotten eyefinity to work on a non-apple card with sandybridge, lion or 10.6.8 kexts?  Anyone gotten eyefinity to work on an apple card in a hackintosh?  Please post!

correction:

eyefinity does work if I use 1 mini displayport monitor, 1 mini displayport to dvi passive adapter, 1 mini displayport to vga active adapter.

eyefinity doesn't work if I use 1 mini displayport monitor, 1 mini displayport to dvi passive adapter, and 1 mini displayport to hdmi passive adapter.
I get the following error: ERROR: VendorAccelerator::set_display_mode_and_vram() call to fFramebuffers[2].framebuffer->getPixelInformation() result: 0xE00002F0

set_display_mode_and_vram is a function in ATIRadeonX3000

seems like the problem arrises if I have more than one passive connection, which people with standard 5770 and 5870 are forced to have (because there is only one displayport).   on the other hand, those with eyefinity editions of the 5770 or 5870 (5 or 6 mini displayports) can get around this issue by using active adapters to connect their monitors.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:18:15 AM by calvintml » Logged
bb2b

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 07:01:13 AM »

@calvintml: You were right, i just replaced the third screen from a passive DVI to active DVI and it works like a charm, thanks a lot.
So the setup now is: DP(2560x1600) + passive DVI(1920x1080) + active DVI(1920x1080)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:44:05 PM by bb2b » Logged
jrd0

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »

Anyone have any idea how I can get my third monitor going?
calvintml

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 01:20:51 AM »

Does anyone have an apple 5770 or 5870?  Do three monitors work if one is attached by mini displayport, one is attached to dvi and the third is attached by passive mdp to dvi using either the sandybridge, 10.6.8, or lion ati kexts?

eyefinity does work if I use 1 mini displayport monitor, 1 mini displayport to dvi passive adapter, 1 mini displayport to vga active adapter.

eyefinity doesn't work if I use 1 mini displayport monitor, 1 mini displayport to dvi passive adapter, and 1 mini displayport to hdmi passive adapter.
calvintml

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 12:43:26 AM »

Progress, no results yet.

I believe the issue is at the level of the ATI BIOS of non vanilla cards not being properly read by the new drivers.  In 10.6.7, eyefinity is possible with 1 active and 2 passive (hence all the complaints when people upgraded to 10.6.8 ), but I can break the functionality and make it behave like the 10.6.8 kexts if you load the wrong BIOS file for your card.  For example, using the UseAtiROM=Yes bios injection feature of Chameleon, I injected the ROM for the apple 5770 card, and while everything else worked, the eyefinity with 1 active and 2 passive didn't (same thing as 10.6.8 kexts, only 2 of the 3 monitors worked).  So I think eyefinity in that situation is reading something specific from the bios in order to work properly. But in the 10.6.8 kexts, the drivers only read the BIOS properly for the apple cards.

Netkas, I know you're probably busy with the Lion release, but what's a good way to make sense of/decompile ATI Bios files so I can try to search for a fix?

Edit: There's still no report from anyone that this works with apple 5770 cards though.  Again if anyone has an apple 5770 or 5870, please post!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:17:29 AM by calvintml » Logged
demonfox13x

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 05:55:54 PM »

ive got a sapphire 5870 vapor-x dvi + dvi + dvi -> active dp. Both files dont work for me tried injecting Hoolock and Langur. Hoolock with the first file gives me vesa on the display port but one of the dvi's goes dark.

edit: btw running lion GM.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:58:29 PM by demonfox13x » Logged
calvintml

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »

these are 10.6.8 drivers, try editing lion GM ATI5000Controller yourself.  It's easy. 
to make first file: Replace all Langur with Languu in a plain text editor.
to make second file: take above file, and now also rename all Uakari to Langur

what's your baseline function. DVI monitors work but displayport to dvi active doesn't I assume?

this will not get all three monitors working, it will only get displayport working, but still max of 2 monitors.  unless something's different in your case, so report back what happens.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:11:13 PM by calvintml » Logged
demonfox13x

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »

yup I'm trying to get all 3 working as it was in 10.6.7. I tried editing the files and neither of the edits made my dp show in any configuration. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the edits ill attach the file from lion GM if anyone would like to help.

http://www.mediafire.com/?spdksr26tgtd8i6
calvintml

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »

Yeah, so we don't have a fix yet to make 3 monitors with the common 5770 and 5870 cards with the new kexts.  If you rename all Hoolock to Hoolocc and all Langur to Languu then it will inject Hoolock or Langur, but redirect to RadeonFramebuffer.  That way you get Displayport working, but still only two monitors at a time.  If you have an eyefinity version (5 or 6 mini dp) then you can use multiple active adapters to get around this problem (you can only have 1 passive adapter in the setup).

Also important to note, if you are using the redirection to RadeonFramebuffer by misnaming Hoolock or Langur, it is critical that the correct BIOS file is being injected otherwise the wrong ports will be loaded.  That's because RadeonFramebuffer maps the ports by reading the bios file, so it is common sense to use the specific BIOS file for your card.  

As a temporary fix, revert back to the 10.6.7 kexts. If you're using Lion, first try just replacing ATISupport.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, and ATI5000Controller.kext.  If that doesn't work, try replacing all ATI kexts.  Sorry.
pipkato

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »

I’m a complete newbie to all this graphic card hacking.  Since I can’t download Final Cut Pro X because my Mac Pro 3,1 has the non-OpenCL Radeon 2600 card, I’ve ordered a PC XFX ATI Radeon 5770 ZMF3 single slot card in the hope of getting OpenCL compatibility on a budget.

My head is spinning from trying to catch up with all the various threads on compatibility with various OS X versions  - 10.6.7, 10.6.8 (my current one) etc. and with the imminent release Lion I'm even more confused.  I’ve seen all the great work done by Netkas ,Rominator, and Calvintml etc.  I can’t claim to understand much of it, but I can follow instructions, and back in my PC days I have done some ROM flashing.

I know I’m in the company of experts here, but can anyone help by pointing me to the current state of play (or links to same) with regard to my XFX ATI 5770 and what my best course of action is in getting it to play nicely with my Mac Pro?  I've read that 10.6.7 allowed the XFX 5770 to run natively for some.  I'm not sure what I can expect from 10.6.8 - will I get even my two DVI ports to work without flashing?

Thanks.
toleda

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »

calvintml, tried both files and with both framebuffers and didn't get to the desktop in any cases.    Tried all displayport framebuffers from 10.6.8 without a single success.  Also tried the working 10.6.7 ATIFramebuffer values in 10.6.8 ATI5000Controller without success.  In several cases, when AtiConfig was set, ATY,RadeonFrameBuffer would load instead.  In those cases, a red "display" lined out appears in the displayport ATY,---@1 entry in ioreg. The only time I got a displayport desktop in 10.6.8 was in VESA mode by mistake. 

For me the only interesting point is HDMI video (and audio) worked without a HDMI entry.  For example, Zonalis, my HDMI devices shows in Profiler/Graphics under Displays along with 5 "Display Connector: No Display Connected".   No success in 10.6.8 or 10.7 to this point but willing to continue testing potential solutions for displayport on my Sapphire HD 5870.
calvintml

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 01:42:54 PM »

I've read that 10.6.7 allowed the XFX 5770 to run natively for some.
Yes, try injecting vervet, either by using ATY_init or by flashing your card with the hacked efi roms.
I'm not sure what I can expect from 10.6.8 - will I get even my two DVI ports to work without flashing?
Yes, although I would still recommend ATY_init or flashing b/c certain programs crash without doing that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: