netkas.org forum
September 22, 2017, 10:46:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Conflicted between 2X GTX 590, and 2X GTX 580  (Read 7303 times)
Librarian580

« on: June 05, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »

Heya all
I'm going to try and get a hold of either 2X GTX 580's or 2X GTX 590's for my Mac Pro.
However, i'm conflicted between the two. Here's why;
1. I could go with 2X GTX 580, and attempt the SLI Hacks with uncertainty of success. However, this will likely be very easy to flash to OS X, and if that fails early on I could go for ATY_Init possibly. However, no Quad or Tri SLI possibility at all.

2. I could go with 2X GTX 590, for full Quad SLI performance. I'm not going to go for the ASUS MARS, as that will probably be priced the same as 3X 580's and may be a bit too alien for ATY_Init. However, this probably means it won't be able to be flashed for OS X, and i'd have to rely on ATY_Init to save my butt. I'm not even sure how well it handles Dual GPU Nvidia cards, not to mention two of them + 8800GT.  And then, SLI between the two is still uncertain with the mods.

So, I'm curious what others think I should go for...

-L
DuBzilla.the.Hun

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »

i may be wrong on this, but i don't think anybody's gotten a dual gpu on one pcb working in os x.
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »

The SLi hack works fine on Mac Pro '09/10, I have tried it with Dual GTX480s, no problem.

"This will likely be very easy to flash to OSX" tells me you didn't read my GTX570 story very well.

If you run 2 @ 590s, Greenpeace will likely picket your house for egregious energy consumption.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Librarian580

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:39:59 PM »

Hmm, now that I read your story Rom, that is a bit scary...
I had just assumed it would be relatively easy due to being 1 PCB and 1 GPU. Though for that matter, i'd be fine with sticking to ATY_Init (If only I could find the darned current version, it should be easier to find than it is currently)

If I do endup getting the 580's, I'd gladly use them toward guided experimentation to see if we can find a way to get them to work. Maybe apple will release a GTX 580 Mac Edition that we can snag a rom from? Though theres  a good chance I don't know what i'm getting in to, as all my attempts to splice bits of roms together failed miserably and ended in complete disaster.

Should I try for 580s or 590s?
...Or should I just wait until the GTX 680/690?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: