netkas.org forum
December 13, 2017, 05:46:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Mini Firmware Upgrade Utility Needed (help request).  (Read 399392 times)
SteveSimon

« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2011, 06:00:02 AM »

Hey folks, this was looking great for 7 pages but seems to have died suddenly.

Any chance someone has the "11to21.zip" file and are willing to post a working download link?  

Thanks in advance & much appreciated!

Steve.

Well, looks like I may have found something... Answering my own cry for help here :-)

I stumbled onto this French forum and there was a link there on this page:
http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=346602

Here are the instructions for anyone else like me left wishing for a 1,1 to 2,1 upgrade after they read this post:

----------
You download the file Archive.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfangrn69rxln3q

You put the two files in / System / Library / CoreServices / Firmware Updates
You check the permissions.

In Terminal, you copy / paste:
Code
sudo bless-mount /-firmware / System / Library / CoreServices / Firmware \ Updates / EFIUpdaterApp.efi-payload / System / Library / CoreServices / Firmware \ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd-options "-x-apple-efi payload0-data" - verbose

Me, I did a sudo su to run it as root, but it may not be necessary.
You turn off the computer.
You press the power button until it flashes.
After the flash, you will have the odd screen described above. Do not worry, you turn it off by pressing the Power button, then you do a PRAM reset.
--------------

NOTE:  While you gain 3GB total usable RAM ( use 2 x 2GB DIMMS ), Lion still does NOT install natively from the AppStore. You will have to use one of the available workarounds.  But hey, at least you gained 1GB RAM :-)

ENJOY!!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:19:56 AM by SteveSimon » Logged
HidariMigi

« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2011, 02:42:21 AM »

sudo bless-mount /-firmware / System / Library / CoreServices / Firmware \ Updates / EFIUpdaterApp.efi-payload / System / Library / CoreServices / Firmware \ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd-options "-x-apple-efi payload0-data" - verbose

Thanks, Steve for pointing us in the right direction.

As a clarification, the above quoted code is broken, due to having been run through Google translation. Here is the correct code:
Code:
sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose

I can confirm that it does work, and that 2x2GB of DDR2-667 memory are recognized as 4GB by the OS-- although, it is actually limited to accessing around 3GB, due to the 32-bit kernel. The two sticks are supposedly treated as dual-channel, and get a slight performance boost. I have noticed a slight increase in temperatures over 2x1GB sticks, however.

The original 2GB memory limit kept my MacMini from booting after I over-eagerly upgraded the machine with a 2.16GB C2D and added 4GB of RAM -- then spent hours and hours disassembling and re-assembling the MacMini, trying to figure out what I had done wrong. Thankfully, I came across this thread, and it's running awesomely now, identified as a Macmini2,1

As a side-note, I came across a post that you can force a boot into the 64-bit kernel (which should give access to all 4GB of RAM), although it's a possibly dangerous hack because the EFI is 32-bit. Has anyone attempted this?
doctorevil30564

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:24 AM »

This is what I used to update my mini.
One file has to be edited though.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-3975797/11to21.zip.html

awesome thanks
rojovelasco

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »

Hi,

First, sorry for my poor English (blame the spanish education system Tongue).

I just found this post through a search related with an issue with mac mini 1,1 and apple wired keyboard (FYI No USB 2.0 support until the OS is loaded with Mac Mini 1,1 firmware). Since this issue is solved with the tools provided in this thread, the system still wont boot on 64 bit mode, with the subsequent loose of performance and the imposibility to address the 4GiB of ram that some of you installed.

Regarding to this, found an old hack for SL to modify EFI in order to change the hardcode that prevents to boot on K64 mode (I think it works in the same way for Lion).

At the moment I only have 2GiB of ram in my recently updated Mac Mini so I cant test it but...

What do you think about this? Could this work fine with upgraded macmini 1,1-2,1?

Thanks in advance.
SteveSimon

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »

Thanks, Steve for pointing us in the right direction.

As a clarification, the above quoted code is broken, due to having been run through Google translation. Here is the correct code:
Code:
sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose

I can confirm that it does work, and that 2x2GB of DDR2-667 memory are recognized as 4GB by the OS-- although, it is actually limited to accessing around 3GB, due to the 32-bit kernel. The two sticks are supposedly treated as dual-channel, and get a slight performance boost. I have noticed a slight increase in temperatures over 2x1GB sticks, however.

The original 2GB memory limit kept my MacMini from booting after I over-eagerly upgraded the machine with a 2.16GB C2D and added 4GB of RAM -- then spent hours and hours disassembling and re-assembling the MacMini, trying to figure out what I had done wrong. Thankfully, I came across this thread, and it's running awesomely now, identified as a Macmini2,1

As a side-note, I came across a post that you can force a boot into the 64-bit kernel (which should give access to all 4GB of RAM), although it's a possibly dangerous hack because the EFI is 32-bit. Has anyone attempted this?

You're most welcome HidariMigi and thanks for cleaning up the code of the command.  I guess I was too excited it actually worked to notice.

If anyone is interested I did a Bootcamp setup with SL and Windows7.  In SL it shows 4GB of RAM and in Win7 it shows 4GB but says only 2.7GB usable as I installed the 32Bit version of Win7.

I wonder if anyone did the EFI hack for the K64 kernel that rojovelasco mentioned, following this 1,1 -> 2,1 upgrade, as I want to install Lion in place of SL but it seems not to want to...
lolof

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »

The 3GB seems to be a real chipset limitation not efi 32bit one.
SteveSimon

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »

The 3GB seems to be a real chipset limitation not efi 32bit one.

That sounds right, but given that Lion refuses to install even though the Mac Mini presents itself as 2,1 must mean that it must also be checking for something else, maybe the 64bit EFI.... 

Has anyone tried the EFI hack mentioned above and gotten Lion to install on an "upgraded" 1,1 -> 2,1 Mac Mini?
lolof

« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »

The original mamini 2,1 has a 32bits efi (it is the one we used to update our mm1,1!) and is supported by Apple for Lion. Knowing this, and all we tried on this thread, limitation is definitively not in efi but in MB number check. This number is somewhere but not in efi.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:35:19 PM by lolof » Logged
SteveSimon

« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »

I hear ya lolof

I can only hope that someone finds a solution/fix for our newly minted mac mini 2,1 before they are so old and obsolete that running Lion on it will not make any sense...
A3man

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2012, 06:06:28 AM »

Code:

Hi Guys,

can i use this command to reflash my smc?

I found in the SMC Updater app these lines:
Code:
StartService ()
{
bless -mount / -firmware "" -payload "" -options "-wv -LoadApp efi-apple-payload0-data -restart" -reset
rm -rdf
}

i have an SmcFlasher.efi and the SMC File m40.smc

Now i used your commandline and edit with my options, but its not working.
Can you help me with this?

This is my line:
Code:
sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/SmcFlasher.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/m40.smc -options "-wv -LoadApp efi-apple-payload0-data" -verbose

Terminal returned this:

EFI found at IODeviceTree:/efi
GPT detected
No auxiliary booter partition required
System partition found
Returning booter information dictionary:
<CFBasicHash 0x10010f830 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{type = mutable dict, count = 3,
entries =>
   0 : <CFString 0x100019a60 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "System Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x10010f9d0 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{type = immutable, count = 1, values = (
   0 : <CFString 0x10010fa10 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "disk0s1"}
)}
   1 : <CFString 0x10001a2a0 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "Data Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x10010fc70 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{type = immutable, count = 1, values = (
   0 : <CFString 0x7fff7073f9b0 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "disk0s2"}
)}
   2 : <CFString 0x100019a20 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "Auxiliary Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x1001054d0 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{type = immutable, count = 0, values = ()}
}

Substituting ESP disk0s1
Mounting at /Volumes/bless.bnaY
Executing "/sbin/mount"
Returned 0
Creating /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE if needed
Deleting previous contents of /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE
Deleting /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE/SmcFlasher.efi (27136 bytes)
Deleting /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE/m40.smc (188906 bytes)
Opened dest at /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//SmcFlasher.efi for writing
preallocation not supported on this filesystem for /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//SmcFlasher.efi

Type/creator set to     /     for /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//SmcFlasher.efi
/Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//SmcFlasher.efi created successfully
Relative path of /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//SmcFlasher.efi is \EFI\APPLE\FIRMWARE\SmcFlasher.efi
IOMedia disk0s1 has UUID BAF244F1-09BC-40D7-B47E-D2946AB0C95A
Opened dest at /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//m40.smc for writing
preallocation not supported on this filesystem for /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//m40.smc

Type/creator set to     /     for /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//m40.smc
/Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//m40.smc created successfully
Relative path of /Volumes/bless.bnaY//EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE//m40.smc is \EFI\APPLE\FIRMWARE\m40.smc
IOMedia disk0s1 has UUID BAF244F1-09BC-40D7-B47E-D2946AB0C95A
Setting EFI NVRAM:
<CFBasicHash 0x100201110 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{type = mutable dict, count = 2,
entries =>
   1 : <CFString 0x100019a80 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "efi-boot-next"} = <CFString 0x100200960 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "<array><dict><key>IOMatch</key><dict><key>IOProviderClass</key><string>IOMedia</string><key>IOPropertyMatch</key><dict><key>UUID</key><string>BAF244F1-09BC-40D7-B47E-D2946AB0C95A</string></dict></dict><key>BLLastBSDName</key><string>disk0s1</string></dict><dict><key>IOEFIDevicePathType</key><string>MediaFilePath</string><key>Path</key><string>\EFI\APPLE\FIRMWARE\SmcFlasher.efi</string></dict><dict><key>IOEFIBootOption</key><string>-wv -LoadApp efi-apple-payload0-data</string></dict></array>"}
   2 : <CFString 0x100200bd0 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "efi-apple-payload0"} = <CFString 0x10010fd70 [0x7fff7075aee0]>{contents = "<array><dict><key>IOMatch</key><dict><key>IOProviderClass</key><string>IOMedia</string><key>IOPropertyMatch</key><dict><key>UUID</key><string>BAF244F1-09BC-40D7-B47E-D2946AB0C95A</string></dict></dict><key>BLLastBSDName</key><string>disk0s1</string></dict><dict><key>IOEFIDevicePathType</key><string>MediaFilePath</string><key>Path</key><string>\EFI\APPLE\FIRMWARE\m40.smc</string></dict></array>"}
}

Executing "/sbin/umount"
Returned 0

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:15:18 AM by A3man » Logged
Embio

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »

How much of what you guys know about the Mac Mini do you think could be applied to a Core Duo Macbook? I'm hoping to get mine upgraded with a T7400 (I've found an engineering shop that can do the soldering!)

I'd love to see my Macbook running 10.7.3 or even 10.8 - 3GB of RAM would be a nice bonus.

As far as I know the chipset is the same as the Mini... is it possible that there is extra hardware present in the Macbook 2,1? I know they changed something with the battery and a reed switch but I'm not sure if this is handled by firmware...

thanks and keep up the good work!
markopolo

« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »

I'm hoping someone can help with the script on this!  I've got everything else ready to go, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.  For starters, I've never dealt with scripting on a Mac before, so it's new to me.  However, all I did was copy paste the script from this thread into "Script Editor" and when I try to compile or save it, I get an error that says "Syntax Error - Expected end of line, etc. but found “"”.  It's highlighted right after rm -r when it does it.  Any help please!!

#!/bin/bash

updatesdir1="/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates"
updatesdir2="/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/MacMiniEFIUpdate"
firmwaredir="/"
firmware="EfiUpdaterApp.efi"
firmware2="LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd"

rm -r "${updatesdir1}"
mkdir "${updatesdir1}"
mkdir "${updatesdir2}"

cp "${firmwaredir}/${firmware}" "${updatesdir2}"
cp "${firmwaredir}/${firmware2}" "${updatesdir2}"

/usr/sbin/bless -mount / -firmware "${updatesdir2}/${firmware}" -payload "${updatesdir2}/${firmware2}" -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose

exit 0
AStuff

« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2012, 01:30:28 AM »

I tried running an upgraded 1,1 with the 2,1 AHT from genuine Apple discs.  The mini just shuts down after trying to start the AHT.  Has anyone else tried this?  I am wondering what other surprises there might be.
lolof

« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »

Here is what I've done :

First, upgrade the CPU,
Second, upgrade macmini firmware to 2,1,
Third, put the new ram 2X2GB in the mini.
Yes, the macmini 1,1 will not boot with 4GB. So, put the ram at last.
Good luck...
RoyQ

« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »

When you update to 10.7.4, Apple, in their infinite wisdom, will restore platformsupport.plist, so you will have to modify it again through Installation Disc terminal or through target mode. I did Install Disc because my computers don't have firewire on them.
Actually, the platformsupport.plist has been restored before OS X Lion asks the user to restart it in order to finish the update process, so one can again modify platformsupport.plist or simply delete it at that time as how she or he did that. No need to use Installation Disc or to switch to Target Mode.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 04:33:37 PM by RoyQ » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: