netkas.org forum
July 22, 2018, 12:09:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: displayport working with 5xxx cards and sandybridge (and Lion too?) ATI drivers  (Read 70134 times)
tdecumont
Not Newbie

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »

My other card is the original one from the mac pro : ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT...
I'll try tomorow, now I go to sleep !! Jetlag.... Roll Eyes

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

calvintml

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 09:53:47 PM »

My other card is the original one from the mac pro : ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT...
I'll try tomorow, now I go to sleep !! Jetlag.... Roll Eyes

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

I just tried it myself. It kinda worked. I needed to also replace atiradeonx3000.kext but I only got things to work in safe mode. So probably not worth your time.
pipkato
Not Newbie

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »

Can I just clarify what I need to do to get my XFX HD 5770 XMF3 working in Lion with my Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008)?

I've seen posts from Calvintml and Redratto about this, and Redratto seems to  have the same card as I have working in Lion.  I'm just  not clear how it's done or what compromises are involved.  At the moment the DisplayPort is not that important to me, since I don't have any displays that use it.

1.  Can the XFX HD 5770 XMF3 work as well as the Apple version in Lion without any drawbacks such as broken DVD read/write?

2.  Do I need to modify the drivers, and, if so, is there a beginner's guide somewhere?
electonic

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 10:48:20 PM »

Add me to the list of confused noobs ...
Well, I'm really not that much of a noob, but these threads are always so hard to read.

I have a MacPro and a Radeon 5870 PCS with modded bios — made it myself.
It has two DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI. I want a 27" Cinema Display REALLY bad.
But my DisplayPort doesn't seem to work. I'm on Lion.
Could somebody help me and tell me what I've got to do to get the Cinema 27" to run on my card in Lion?
Even if you got to tell me that it won't work, that would at least be an answer.

Thanks in advance!
calvintml

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »

Add me to the list of confused noobs ...
Well, I'm really not that much of a noob, but these threads are always so hard to read.

I have a MacPro and a Radeon 5870 PCS with modded bios — made it myself.
It has two DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI. I want a 27" Cinema Display REALLY bad.
But my DisplayPort doesn't seem to work. I'm on Lion.
Could somebody help me and tell me what I've got to do to get the Cinema 27" to run on my card in Lion?
Even if you got to tell me that it won't work, that would at least be an answer.

Thanks in advance!
displayport will work with a variety of fixes.  this is probably the easiest:
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1069.0.html
this will NOT allow 3 monitors in lion.  it will just will allow displayport monitors to work as well as one other dvi/hdmi monitor

There is an added complication that sometimes apple cinema displays don't work with displayport to mini displayport adapters, so be careful.  This is not a problem with the kexts, but a problem with some of the earlier 5xxx cards.  The monitor won't even work in windows.

good luck
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:57:20 PM by calvintml » Logged
calvintml

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »

Can I just clarify what I need to do to get my XFX HD 5770 XMF3 working in Lion with my Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008)?

I've seen posts from Calvintml and Redratto about this, and Redratto seems to  have the same card as I have working in Lion.  I'm just  not clear how it's done or what compromises are involved.  At the moment the DisplayPort is not that important to me, since I don't have any displays that use it.

1.  Can the XFX HD 5770 XMF3 work as well as the Apple version in Lion without any drawbacks such as broken DVD read/write?

2.  Do I need to modify the drivers, and, if so, is there a beginner's guide somewhere?
your card should work without doing anything, but geekbench steam will crash.

if you want to fix that, then use aty_init.kext (recently posted on netkas.org with fix for 57xx cards).  replace all instances of Uakari with Vervet in the Info.plist. repair permissions, clear caches, and now your card should work without geekbench/steam crashes

if you want displayport to work, edit the info.plist of ati5000controller as described here http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1069.0.html

if you want eyefinity 3 monitors to work, that problem has not been solved with the lion kexts.  see here for more info: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1070.0.html

good luck
electonic

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »

Thank you both for your reply. You helped me a lot. Much appreciated. I'll post my findings, when I'm done to help others.
Dankeschön!
pipkato
Not Newbie

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »

Thanks a lot Calvintml.

I don't know much about Geekbench or Steam.  I believe the former is a benchmark utility.  Is it likely to be important to have  Geekbench working?  I think Steam is just for games, so that doesn't really worry me.  I presume I'll still be without any Apple boot screen until the 'Login' appears?

But when I first tried my XFX 5770 with 10.6.8 my DVD Player wouldn't work - it would close immediately after opening.  Are you saying that with my XFX 5770 in Lion DVD player will work normally for read/write of data and movies playback? If so, that would be great. 

If I do attempt the aty_init.kext fix is there a newbie's guide anywhere?  Are Uakari and Vervet explained somewhere?  Is it just a matter of swapping one name for another in a text editor? (I did say I was a beginner in all this stuff :-))

If I'm successful in all the above, I might as well go for it and fix the DisplayPort while I'm at it.

Wish me luck, and thanks again for being so helpful.

if you want to fix that, then use aty_init.kext (recently posted on netkas.org with fix for 57xx cards).  replace all instances of Uakari with Vervet in the Info.plist. repair permissions, clear caches, and now your card should work without geekbench/steam crashes

if you want displayport to work, edit the info.plist of ati5000controller as described here http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1069.0.html

if you want eyefinity 3 monitors to work, that problem has not been solved with the lion kexts.  see here for more info: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1070.0.html

good luck
MachineShedFred

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »

I don't know much about Geekbench or Steam.  I believe the former is a benchmark utility.  Is it likely to be important to have  Geekbench working?  I think Steam is just for games, so that doesn't really worry me.  I presume I'll still be without any Apple boot screen until the 'Login' appears?

It's important to understand that a problem with Geekbench or Steam may not be restricted to being just a problem with Geekbench or Steam.  They may be symptoms of an issue that may affect other applications as well.  Caveat Emptor, buddy.   Wink
pipkato
Not Newbie

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »

Thanks MachineShedFred.

I suspect you're right on this.

I've since discovered that Geekbench and Steam are just part of the incompatibilities that includes DVD player too.

Regards.
jsl2000
Not Newbie

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »

some says use original drivers (don't know what they're talking about??)
Try replacing ATISupport.kext, ATI5000Controller.kext, and ATIFramebuffer.kext with those from 10.6.7 (the original ones, not the sandybridge kexts).  Not sure if it will work, so please report back.
I found the best way to regain what I had worked 3 EyeFinity ports (DP, HDMI, & DVI) in Lion GM for my MSI Hawk 5770 is replaced 3 kexts in /S/L/E only with previous version (1.6.26) of ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, and ATISupport.kext. Now I can use active convertor for DP->HDMI as well as HDMI audio and DVI again. Perfectly as before in SL 10.6.6/10.6.7.
And this method is also working for SL 10.6.8 too !
jsl2000
Not Newbie

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2011, 06:15:39 AM »

After upgrade to Lion 10.7.2 just set AtiConfig=Uakari and GraphicsEnabler=Y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist I can get working 3 ports of DP, HDMI (mirror with 2nd DVI), and 1st DVI with HDMI audio in Asus EAH 5850 card now without any modification of ATIFramebuffer or ATI5000Controller. If set GraphicsEnabler=N, both EAH 5850 and MSI Hawk 5770 cards can get working DP, HDMI, & DVI ports at the same time.
However, DVD player and Geekbench will crash immediately.
The only way to correct it is re-apply patching of ATI5000Controller as before.
But also need rollback to previous AppleHDA.kext (1.9.9f12) for my ALC-888 in Asus P5Q PRO and Asus P6T SE respectively.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:32:09 PM by jsl2000 » Logged
pipkato
Not Newbie

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »

Hello Calvintml.

You were helpful with a query I posted a few weeks ago (see below) regarding a PC version XFX ATI 5770 card under 10.7.1 Lion in a Mac Pro 3,1 so I hope you can help me now with a crisis.

I think I followed your instructions correctly, but I've ended up with two black DVI screens and now I can't even see my Mac Pro on my network.  I've tried a couple of reboots but without luck, I'm afraid.  I'm not even sure if my Mac Pro is rebooting - I hear the chime, but after that everything is very quiet.

My 5700 card was working fine, but I couldn't use my DVD player, which I know is normal.  I downloaded the latest 'ATY_init.kext' (22 July, 2011) and modified the info.plist file, changing all instances of 'Uakari' to 'Vervet' as you advised.  I saved the changed file and installed the kext using 'Kext Wizard', which automatically does the permissions and cache clearing after installation.

Have you any suggestions for how I might reverse out of this problem?  Should I have changed 'Uakari' to 'Vervet' before or after I installed the kext?

Thanks,

Roy

Re: displayport working with 5xxx cards and sandybridge (and Lion too?) ATI drivers
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »
Quote from: pipkato on July 31, 2011, 02:08:51 PM
I've seen posts from Calvintml and Redratto about this, and Redratto seems to  have the same card as I have working in Lion.  I'm just  not clear how it's done or what compromises are involved.  At the moment the DisplayPort is not that important to me, since I don't have any displays that use it.
1.  Can the XFX HD 5770 XMF3 work as well as the Apple version in Lion without any drawbacks such as broken DVD read/write?
2.  Do I need to modify the drivers, and, if so, is there a beginner's guide somewhere?

if you want to fix that, then use aty_init.kext (recently posted on netkas.org with fix for 57xx cards).  replace all instances of Uakari with Vervet in the Info.plist. repair permissions, clear caches, and now your card should work without geekbench/steam crashes
if you want displayport to work, edit the info.plist of ati5000controller as described here http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1069.0.htmlif you want eyefinity 3 monitors to work, that problem has not been solved with the lion kexts.  see here for more info:http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1070.0.htmlgood luck

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:53:28 PM by pipkato » Logged
pipkato
Not Newbie

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »

Hi Calvintml.

Just to update my last post about the problem with the 'ATY_Init.kext' install.

I managed to get access to my Mac Pro again by starting in 'Safe' mode.

I tried to unload the kext using 'kextunload' but got the message that it was not found.  And, checking the /System/Library/Extensions folder I can't find it either.

Just in case the 'Kext Wizard' had failed, I also tried to apply the permission repairs and cache clearance you advised here in a post on July 30th last:

after you installed the kexts you should have repaired permissions and cleared caches otherwise it won't work:
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*
chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*
rm -rv /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*
touch /System/Library/Extensions

The 'chmod' command failed on all the 'ATI*' files with various  messages - 'Unable to change file', 'Operation not permitted', 'Unable to change file mode' etc.  I didn't continue, in case I did some harm.

Any idea where that .kext file might have gone?  I tried a search but that didn't find it either.  Does it integrate itself within some of the 'ATI*' and 'ATIRadeon*' kexts in that folder? If I hadn't had my blank screens, I'd presume the 'Kext Wizard' install had failed.

BTW I used 'Kext Wizard' rather than 'Kext Helper' because I was worried about doing the various permissions and cache clearances in Terminal incorrectly.  But I just had a look at 'Kext Helper b7' and it appears to have similar capability to 'Kext Wizard' (if I understand the buttons correctly). Under 'Advanced' it has a 'Kext permissions' button' and a 'Tag Cache Rebuild' option and they create a script similar to what you provided above.

Anyway, I'm still stuck - can't find the kext file, and don't know where to go from here.  All advice welcome.

Thanks.
peterb81

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2012, 08:01:45 AM »

some says use original drivers (don't know what they're talking about??)
Try replacing ATISupport.kext, ATI5000Controller.kext, and ATIFramebuffer.kext with those from 10.6.7 (the original ones, not the sandybridge kexts).  Not sure if it will work, so please report back.
I found the best way to regain what I had worked 3 EyeFinity ports (DP, HDMI, & DVI) in Lion GM for my MSI Hawk 5770 is replaced 3 kexts in /S/L/E only with previous version (1.6.26) of ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, and ATISupport.kext. Now I can use active convertor for DP->HDMI as well as HDMI audio and DVI again. Perfectly as before in SL 10.6.6/10.6.7.
And this method is also working for SL 10.6.8 too !

I used those 3 kexts from an older version of osx - installed with kext helper and repaired permissions. Now have 3 displays back in 10.7.3 on 5770.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: