netkas.org forum
December 10, 2018, 01:56:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Mini Downgrade from OS 10.6 to 10.4  (Read 3672 times)
Bennie555

« on: November 16, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »

I have a 2006 Mac Mini (1,1) core duo 1.66 that was running fine with OS 10.4. Someone "did me a favor" by upgrading the machine to 10.6 (Snow Leopard). And indeed, it works beautifully. However I did not ask or want the upgrade because I need to run a couple of propriety programs that were written for OS 9, which means I need to run Classic. I erased the disk and reinstalled 10.4, however the mini won't boot - I get a folder icon with a big question mark when I try. I suspect maybe this "friend" might also have changed the firmware or something else unrelated to the disc.

So my question is: How can I get back to the original state of the machine - running 10.4 (with Classic installed)? I know that Apple is not fond of downgrades, but if I can't get it back to the way it was I'm left with a useless machine!

Thanks for any help.
lowrider

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »

There were two Mac Mini's identified as 1,1.  The first in late 2005 and the second in early 2006.  Both will not run on 10.4.  The 2005 model needs at least 10.4.2 to run.  The second needs at least 10.4.7.  However, the 2005 model won't run 10.6, so you must have the 2006 model that will run software up through 10.6.8.

So, the quick answer is, you can not install 10.4.  You need to find a way to install 10.4.7. 

Lou
Badmin

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:48:22 AM »

I have a 2006 Mac Mini (1,1) core duo 1.66 that was running fine with OS 10.4. Someone "did me a favor" by upgrading the machine to 10.6 (Snow Leopard). And indeed, it works beautifully. However I did not ask or want the upgrade because I need to run a couple of propriety programs that were written for OS 9, which means I need to run Classic. I erased the disk and reinstalled 10.4, however the mini won't boot - I get a folder icon with a big question mark when I try. I suspect maybe this "friend" might also have changed the firmware or something else unrelated to the disc.

So my question is: How can I get back to the original state of the machine - running 10.4 (with Classic installed)? I know that Apple is not fond of downgrades, but if I can't get it back to the way it was I'm left with a useless machine!

Thanks for any help.
You could also reinstall OS X 10.6 and use an OS 9 emulator for your proprietaries: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: