netkas.org forum
August 24, 2019, 12:03:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing 10.9.3 with GTX 780 Ti?  (Read 12140 times)
OmegaVision
Not Newbie

« on: May 22, 2014, 06:47:20 AM »

Does anyone have an idea of a work around yet for installing the new OS X update with a GTX 780 Ti already installed in the computer?

Currently if one does an OS update with the GTX 780 Ti or Titan Black installed you lose the Nvidia drivers that make the cards work. Unfortunately, you cannot do the new Nvidia driver update without the new OS update done first.

The only workaround that I've been able to conjure up is to purchase a second card which is fully OS X supported without the Nvidia drivers needed, do the OS update, and then install the new Nvidia drivers. Once that's done, reinstall the GTX 780 Ti Kepler B card.

I even went so far as to try my method above by purchasing a PYN GTX 570 1280 GB card off eBay. The bloody card won't work for me though, and every time I try to boot the screens just stay black, even long after when the desktop should have loaded in. I think I must have purchased a broken card.

So now I either need to purchase yet another card, hopefully for around $100, or pray someone here more knowledgable than I has figured out a way of doing OS X updates without removing the Kepler B card instead.

Anyone? Sad

Badmin

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »

How about installing a copy of your OS in an emulator, update it, do the new Nvidia driver update and transfer the new os back to your drive?
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »

Install second 10.9.2 with nvidia web drivers on another partition.

Boot second 10.9.2, download 10.9.3 update from apple, install this update to first 10.9.2 isntallation (the main one), then install new nvidia drivers to it as well.

Might work Cheesy
Asgorath

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:15 PM »

What sort of system do you have?  Is it a cMP or a Hackintosh?  What happened to your original card?

Edit: To be clear, what I've done for my Hackintosh is create a full working install of the OS on an external hard drive.  It's handy to have something like this as a backup, in case things go wrong.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:43:33 PM by Asgorath » Logged
OmegaVision
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »

What sort of system do you have?  Is it a cMP or a Hackintosh?  What happened to your original card?

Edit: To be clear, what I've done for my Hackintosh is create a full working install of the OS on an external hard drive.  It's handy to have something like this as a backup, in case things go wrong.

I've cloned my ssd using SuperDuper. I'm running a cMP 5,1 hex core. I sold the original Mac Card years ago. I jumped the gun a bit with the Ti and rushed out and bought one from the cash I got selling my 680 Classified.
OmegaVision
Not Newbie

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:42:39 PM »

Install second 10.9.2 with nvidia web drivers on another partition.

Boot second 10.9.2, download 10.9.3 update from apple, install this update to first 10.9.2 isntallation (the main one), then install new nvidia drivers to it as well.

Might work Cheesy

I don't think I can do this as Apple now makes OS updates go through their CrApp Store and it automatically chooses the current boot drive to install on. It's a painfully irritating system. So if I boot using my cloned drive, I don't get to choose the original drive for the OS update, it will just update to my clone.

UNLESS...I can use parallels to dual boot. I can run the clone and boot my main drive through parallels and try this. My only concern is I don't know whether parallels depends on graphics drivers.

iamdw
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »

The method i use is super simple if you have another device on the network to connect remotely (headless) via VNC or other remote connection protocol. Just make sure you have "screen sharing" enabled in the Sharing preference pane. Then, simple use one of the many (and free) VNC clients available on any other OS. I personally use PocketCloud for Android on my Galaxy Note 3 to login to my Mac after install, then download the drivers and install. Then reboot again and all is back to normal  Wink
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:39:53 PM by iamdw » Logged

OS X 10.10.1/Win 8.1 Pro
Intel i7 2600k @3.4/4.5GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Motherboard: Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB)
Asgorath

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 06:29:26 PM »

You could also try booting into single-user mode and manually installing the web driver package from the command line?

installer -pkg /path/to/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg -target /

Not sure if installer runs in single-user mode though, might want to test it on 10.9.2 before you update.
OmegaVision
Not Newbie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »

The method i use is super simple if you have another device on the network to connect remotely (headless) via VNC or other remote connection protocol. Just make sure you have "screen sharing" enabled in the Sharing preference pane. Then, simple use one of the many (and free) VNC clients available on any other OS. I personally use PocketCloud for Android on my Galaxy Note 3 to login to my Mac after install, then download the drivers and install. Then reboot again and all is back to normal  Wink

This could work! I use ignition all the time! I'll give it a try. Thanks!
malaxor

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »

Use Pacifist to install the 10.9.3 nvidia drivers on top of your 10.9.2.
Then install 10.9.3 update.
OmegaVision
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »

Use Pacifist to install the 10.9.3 nvidia drivers on top of your 10.9.2.
Then install 10.9.3 update.

Thanks! I'll try this method in the future too.

So for some reason when I went and installed the update to OS X the screens kept working even without the new Nvidia drivers installed! Couldn't believe all this trouble and worry...and it worked. All that happened was it directed me to immediately install the new Nvidia drivers upon reboot. I did, and then CUDA. No problems.

Anyways, this update is over and done with. Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate everyone being some helpful on this.
shilohh

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 01:03:23 AM »

Simply use the boot flag nv_disable=1 to boot until you get the web driver installed and working.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: