netkas.org forum
December 11, 2017, 04:24:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro Firmware Upgrade Utility Released!  (Read 1104152 times)
h9826790

« Reply #1185 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »

^^^^I certainly disagree with that statement.  I have been creating and then installing my OS with a USB installer since MacOS 10.08.  Prior to that I made CDs.  When running from the internet you run the risk of a power or internet failure.  And with a USB installer, you always have the installer for use in case something goes wrong later.  IMHO, there is absolutely no good reason not to make. run, and keep a USB installer disk.

Lou

It may be right in the past, but not applicable to HS (with firmware upgrade). It's much better to run the installer from an internal HDD for firmware upgrade. There are few reports about firmware upgrade fail because running the installer from USB drive. Apple never ever release a USB drive tool for cMP to upgrade firmware, only via HDD (or optical drive, for firmware restoration).

Anyway, I said run from HDD, not from the internet. There is no risk about internet failure. In fact, there is no risk about accidentally bump into the USB drive (or unplug it, etc) as well. There are plenty of HDD bay in cMP. I really can't see why not boot from an internal backup boot drive to run the installer (if want a clean OS installation), but from a USB drive that only has USB 2.0 connection.
CliveB

« Reply #1186 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »

I have a 2009 Mac Pro which I changed from 4,1 to 5,1 using the software mentioned in this thread. I am now running 10.12.6.

I downloaded and created a USB installer for 10.13. As I understand it before I upgrade to 10.13 the firmware will be upgraded. Is that firmware part of the installer or will the installer pull it down over the Internet?

I used the USB installer to upgrade to 10.13. It first upgraded the firmware and after rebooting upgraded to 10.13. After going through and resetting a few things things all is good.
donjames

« Reply #1187 on: October 23, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »

Hi,

The fan is running very fast and is very noisy on my Macpro4,1 that I upgraded to a Macpro5,1.

Here's what happened:

I ran the firmware upgrade software to upgrade the Macpro4,1 to a Macpro5,1.  Shut down the machine and installed the new tray with a 6-core processor.  At the time, I didn't realize that the tray was from a Macpro5,1 and it has a different SMC version from the system board.  When I turned the machine on, the fan speed was at maximum and was very noisy. 

I acquired a 6-core processor and installed it into the original tray.  Booted the machine with a new install of Yosemite on a different hard drive.  Everything worked fine --  fan running at normal speed.  Then, I took the hard drive out and inserted the original hard drive, booted the machine and the fan ran at max speed.  The fan runs at normal speed during POST and as soon as the OS is loaded, the fan speeds up.

The question is this:  How do I set the fan to normal speed?
Spacedust

« Reply #1188 on: October 23, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »

Use Macs Fan Control.
donjames

« Reply #1189 on: October 23, 2017, 09:49:28 PM »

Use Macs Fan Control.

Where is the fan control?

lowrider

« Reply #1190 on: October 23, 2017, 09:52:26 PM »

^^^^Here:

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Lou
Rominator

« Reply #1191 on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »

Use Macs Fan Control.

Where is the fan control?

Or jam a pencil in it.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
h9826790

« Reply #1192 on: November 18, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »

Hi,

The fan is running very fast and is very noisy on my Macpro4,1 that I upgraded to a Macpro5,1.

Here's what happened:

I ran the firmware upgrade software to upgrade the Macpro4,1 to a Macpro5,1.  Shut down the machine and installed the new tray with a 6-core processor.  At the time, I didn't realize that the tray was from a Macpro5,1 and it has a different SMC version from the system board.  When I turned the machine on, the fan speed was at maximum and was very noisy.  

I acquired a 6-core processor and installed it into the original tray.  Booted the machine with a new install of Yosemite on a different hard drive.  Everything worked fine --  fan running at normal speed.  Then, I took the hard drive out and inserted the original hard drive, booted the machine and the fan ran at max speed.  The fan runs at normal speed during POST and as soon as the OS is loaded, the fan speeds up.

The question is this:  How do I set the fan to normal speed?

SMC reset
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:55:29 PM by h9826790 » Logged
SMIKX

« Reply #1193 on: November 21, 2017, 06:54:05 AM »

I think that you'll have to use the 4,1 tray and do a completely new, clean Yosemite install + PRAM reset and then if you want to . . go up to High Sierra.

You could also look around for a 5,1 with a damaged tray and put your existing 5,1 tray and the new processor into that. Essentially a moot point seeing that you flashed the 4,1 to 5,1  . . .now . .  the flashed 4,1 is identical to a real 5,1.  Moot point indeed.

I'd stick with the 4,1+ new CPU and sell the 5,1 tray.

Incidentally, how much did you pay for the 5,1 tray ?

Mac Pro 4,1 upped to 5,1 Dual Quad Core 2.93ghz 17Gb 480Gb SSD TRIM enabled.
HIS HD 7950 3Gb 5.0 GT/s EFI on mDP to DVI + DVI to DVI.
10.9.5 - 10.12.6  - 10.6.8 - Win 7 not Bootcamp. 
AREA 2 port USB 3.1 & Inateck USB 3.0 4 port in OS X 10.9.5.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80]
  Print  

Jump to: