netkas.org forum
December 16, 2018, 07:34:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 81
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro Firmware Upgrade Utility Released!  (Read 1715539 times)
ada21
Not Newbie

« Reply #1050 on: October 19, 2016, 04:48:54 PM »

Flashed a few 4.1to 5.1 but now I am getting the error from the Firmware tool:
This program requires Internet access. Please connect your Mac to the internet and try again.
Please help.
CliveB
Not Newbie

« Reply #1051 on: October 20, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »

Did you remember to mount the MacProEFIUpdate dmg (for 5.1) before using the tool?
jchance

« Reply #1052 on: October 22, 2016, 05:16:56 AM »

After several attempts, I finally got my Early 2009 DP Quad core 2.66 Xeon MacPro to update to 5.1.  Now I can upgrade to Sierra and breathe some life into it.  However, I have several questions. 

1--It currently has 32GB of 1066 RAM.  Obviously it would run best with 1333, true?

2--According to Geekbench4, my numbers went down from Single-Core/Multi-Core scores of 2339/12644 to 2222/11586 post flash.  Is this really normal?  Will faster RAM help much or does it really need faster processors before seeing significant rises?

3--I am doing this to try to delay purchasing a new machine, especially considering the poor form factor of the "Trashcan".  I have no issue replacing the chips, just don't want a lot of hassle or refitting/modifications to have to be done.  I am trying to wade through the different options for processors.  Which one or ones will produce the most bang for the money?

Thanks all!
BrokerDon

« Reply #1053 on: October 22, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »

Thanks to the fabulous EFI updater patch I was able to EASILY upgrade our MacPro 4,1 to 5,1 firmware AND install Sierra last night!

All the notes and suggestions everybody put here were absolutely priceless!

QUESTIONS:

1. What improvement could I expect adding 2 more matching 4GB memory sticks?

2. What would give the better "Bang for the Buck": upgrading the CPUs or installing a PCI M.2 boot drive?

3. What CPU upgrades would you recommend?

4. Do I need "matching" upgrade CPUs?  If so how do I assure they're "matching"?

5. Can I just buy CPUs that are already mounted to eliminate the risk of frying a CPU module and motherboard?

6. What PCI card / M.2 boot drive would you recommend?

Thanks for you help!

Don

Apple computer user since 1981 (Apple ][+ 48k RAM floppy DD)   Grin

Here's our Mac Pro's AFTER "System Information"

Mac Pro (Early 2009)

2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

24 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 (6 x 4GB in Slots 1-3 & 5-7)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:   Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacPro5,1
  Processor Name:   Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:   2.93 GHz
  Number of Processors:   2
  Total Number of Cores:   8
  L2 Cache (per Core):   256 KB
  L3 Cache (per Processor):   8 MB
  Memory:   24 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:   6.4 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:   MP51.007F.B03
  SMC Version (system):   1.39f5
  SMC Version (processor tray):   1.39f5

Wi-Fi:
 Card Type:   AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x8E)
  Firmware Version:   Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.24)

Bluetooth:
Apple Bluetooth Software Version:   5.0.0f18
  Hardware, Features, and Settings:
  Name:   MacPro-002500EF2255
  Address:   00-25-bc-62-53-ce
  Bluetooth Low Energy Supported:   No
  Handoff Supported:   No
  Instant Hot Spot Supported:   No
  Manufacturer:   Broadcom
  Transport:   USB
  Chipset:   2046
  Firmware Version:   v208 c518
  Bluetooth Power:   On
  Discoverable:   On
  Connectable:   Yes
  Auto Seek Pointing:   On
  Remote wake:   On
  Vendor ID:   0x05AC
  Product ID:   0x8215
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:11:22 PM by BrokerDon » Logged
CliveB
Not Newbie

« Reply #1054 on: October 23, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »

After watching this thread for a few weeks I convinced my paranoid mind that I wasn't going to brick my Pro Mac. So I went through the process and am now 5,1. I have added a couple things that I ran into that caused me issues until I figured it out [see below].

1. Boot into recovery mode and disable SIP since I'm running El Capitan
2. Reboot [Turn off any outbound firewall like LittleSnitch since the script needs Internet access]
3. Mount the MacProEFIUpdate dmg (for 5.1)
4. Run MacEFIRom's utility.
5. Shutdown and power back up by holding the power button until light flashes and tone sounds [and screen appears with fat progress bar]
6. Verify Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03
7. Boot into recovery mode and enable SIP
8. Reboot

As I found out DO NOT RELEASE POWER BUTTON after tone until screen appears with fat progress bar.

Still will likely not install Sierra unless I find a compelling reason.

Cheers all, this is a great forum.

EDIT: Just found a compelling reason, curiosity.  Wink I have three boot drives where two are clones of my "main" drive. Installed Sierra on one of them since Apple now thinks I have a 2010 Pro Mac. All went fine and am running from that drive with Seirra (10.12).  Smiley

EDIT: EDIT: After pounding on Sierra for 24 hours all is good. Found out that Apple removed the srm UNIX command for secure delete. Actually not a big deal since I now have all SSD's in my Pro Mac and secure delete is a bad thing to do with SSD's. I installed Trim Enabler which takes care of the secure delete issue fairly well for SSD's. I also got my Apache server up and running. Also as far as I can tell all my AppleScripts are working.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:25:49 PM by CliveB » Logged
MindBender
Not Newbie

« Reply #1055 on: October 27, 2016, 04:03:15 PM »

1--It currently has 32GB of 1066 RAM.  Obviously it would run best with 1333, true?
Yes, that will make a big difference. Populating only DIMM slot 1, 2, 3 and 5, 6, 7 makes a difference too, since these CPUs have triple memory buses.

2--According to Geekbench4, my numbers went down from Single-Core/Multi-Core scores of 2339/12644 to 2222/11586 post flash.  Is this really normal?
In my experience, GeekBench4 results aren't very repeatable. I have seen variations on ~2000 on the multi-core results in a controlled setting.

Will faster RAM help much or does it really need faster processors before seeing significant rises?
In my experience, faster RAM does more than a faster CPU. I don't recall the gain I got from switching from 1066MHz to 1333MHz RAM, but I do remember that I was nog disappointed.

However, two weeks ago I upgraded my dual X5660 (2.8GHz) to dual X5690 (3.46GHz), and I barely noticed any difference. In my experience, GeekBench4 results aren't very repeatable and the newer CPUs didn't even stick out from the variations on GeekBench4 results. See also my post one page back.

With the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't go for the X5690 anymore. They are still expensive on the used marked, because it is the fasted CPUs for this socket, but it also has a TDP of 130 Watt, while the maximum allowed is 95 Watt. The fastest 95 Watt CPU for this socket is the X5675.

3--I am doing this to try to delay purchasing a new machine, especially considering the poor form factor of the "Trashcan".  I have no issue replacing the chips, just don't want a lot of hassle or refitting/modifications to have to be done.
Same here; I don't even consider that thing to be a professional machine; A professional workstation has user upgradable RAM, mass storage, video card and with a bit of luck: CPUs.

I am trying to wade through the different options for processors.  Which one or ones will produce the most bang for the money?
I only know that used X5690s are overpriced. See if you can get yourself X5675s for a reasonable price.

Or you can make me an offer on my set of two X5660s with 32GB of 1333MHz RAM (8 DIMMs). I bough everything new at that time, and I have proper ESD protection in place.
screendor

« Reply #1056 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »

Thanks you!!  This is fantastic.  However, I get an error code 5570--which I guess is to due to my ATI 5570 card?  Is there a workaround?

Thanks again.
BrokerDon

« Reply #1057 on: October 31, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »

Isn't the only way to get the benefit from faster DDR3 ECC 1333MHz PC3-10600 RAM upgrading to 12-core CPUs on our 8-core 2.93 GHz 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 (firmware updated to MacPro 5,1) as shown in OWC's memory selector https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory ?
verveguy

« Reply #1058 on: November 05, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »

I could not get the firmware updater tool to work. Error 5570 then Error 5530.

So I hacked the scripts within the tool and ran them directly. I now have a MacPro 2009 which reports Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Root problem: you need to have BOTH the 2010 and 2009 EFI upgrader disk images available so this tool can prepare both the upgrade and downgrade paths. And the tool no longer seems to be capable of downloading them (or at least not for me and anyone else getting the 5530 error). Digging into the compiled .scpt file inside the tool, it's pretty clear what is wrong. But the script is run-only compiled and I can't fix it directly.

So I manually downloaded them and then had to hack the subsidiary shell scripts embedded in the Firmware Tool app and run them directly by hand.

Here's what I did:

0/ Reboot in recovery mode and disable SIP (Recovery mode, Terminal,  csrutil disable ). Reboot again.

1/ Download *both* EFI updater packages from Apple
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL989?locale=en_US
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1321?locale=en_US

2/ Use DiskUtility to convert each disk image to a new read/write image

3/ Mount the first image for the 2009 firmware. Rename the mounted disk to Mac Pro EFI Update 2009

4/ Mount the second image for the 2010 firmware. Rename the mounted disk to Mac Pro EFI Update 2010

5/ Run the netkas forum Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.app
(it will fail, but it will create the RamDisk)

6/ Hack the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh script buried in my ~/Downloads/Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.app/Contents/Resources/ directory with this new version:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

pushd /Volumes/RamDisk

# we mounted the EFI update disk image manually
# hdiutil attach -nobrowse EFI2010.dmg
pkgutil --expand '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update 2010/MacProEFIUpdate.pkg' Expanded
cp Expanded/MacProEFIUpdate.pkg/Payload Payload
tar -xf Payload
mkdir MacProEFI2010-2009
mkdir MacProEFI2009-2010
cp 'System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/MacProEFIUpdate15/EFIUpdaterApp2.efi' MacProEFI2010-2009
cp 'System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/MacProEFIUpdate15/MP51_007F_03B_LOCKED.fd' MacProEFI2009-2010/MP41_0081_07B_LOCKED.fd
rm -R Applications
rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm Payload
hdiutil detach '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update/'

# we mounted the EFI update disk image manually
# hdiutil attach -nobrowse EFI2009.dmg
pkgutil --expand '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update 2009/MacProEFIUpdate.pkg' Expanded
cp Expanded/MacProEFIUpdate.pkg/Payload Payload
tar -xf Payload
cp 'Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi' MacProEFI2009-2010
cp 'Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/MP41_0081_07B_LOCKED.fd' MacProEFI2010-2009/MP51_007F_03B_LOCKED.fd
rm -R Applications
rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm Payload
hdiutil detach '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update/'

popd

patch /Volumes/RamDisk/MacProEFI2009-2010/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi EfiUpdater2009.patch
patch /Volumes/RamDisk/MacProEFI2010-2009/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi EfiUpdater2010.patch

7/ Then run the script directly. Using terminal:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads/Mac\ Pro\ 2009-2010\ Firmware\ Tool.app/Contents/Resources/
./ExtractAndPatchEFIFile.sh
sudo UpgradeEFI2009-2010.sh

8/ Shutdown then power on and hold down the power button. Don't let it go. You'll hear the beep indicating EFI update, then it will reboot again. Keep the button down. In my case, the CD drive popped out. I waited a while, then pushed the CD drive back in. Eventually, I got bored and let the power button go. A little while later it rebooted again. Maybe even one more time.

9/ Login, check all is well with System Info.

10/ Reboot into Recovery mode again, enable SIP (Terminal, csrutil enable). Reboot

I'm pretty sure I captured all of that correctly. Hope this helps others.

(If anyone knows how to contact the original author of the update tool or can get the source, I'd happily fix it)
InfaSyn

« Reply #1059 on: November 05, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »

Hi all, Finally got round to doing this to my 2009 pro and ever since I've had issues with iCloud and iMessage. The reason is that I have a 5,1 identifying mac with a 4,1 serial number which I think has confused iCloud. I phoned apple about this issue and being a 4,1 mac (with a "vintage" status), Apple weren't willing to help. Other than some how spoofing a 5,1 serial number, are there any of you that have experienced this and anyone know of a fix?

Thanks in advance
CliveB
Not Newbie

« Reply #1060 on: November 07, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »

Have not experienced any iCloud or iMessage errors.
CliveB
Not Newbie

« Reply #1061 on: November 08, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »

@InfaSyn, your premise with regard to serial numbers is not correct re iCloud.

I have three devices on iCloud, my Mac Pro, my MacBook Pro and iPhone. I recently changed my Mac Pro from 4,1 to 5,1.

If I check in System Preferences iCloud in the account details it shows four devices; note it shows two Mac Pros even though I only have one.

Both Mac Pros shown have the same Serial Number but different OS's. My old 4,1 lists 10.11.6 and the new 5,1 lists 10.12.1. I have no problem with iCloud and my various items that are specified in System Preferences iCloud are synced with my Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and my iPhone.

NOTE: for the 4,1 listing there is a button to "Remove From Account". iCloud appears to "know" that the 4,1 Mac Pro no longer "exists".

rp_77_mac

« Reply #1062 on: November 13, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »

Questions for those who have done the firmware upgrade.

I have a 12 core 2.93Ghz 2010 Mac Pro (2 x 6 core 2.93Ghz). This machine currently has issue which is either the Power Supply or logic board (will be looked at tomorrow by Mac service (not Apple) to determine exact issue).

If the problem turns out to be logic board then replacing will be expensive (and Power Supply also may be expensive). It may be cheaper for me to buy a 2009 (Mac 4,1) single processor from eBay to replace.

What I would want to do:-

1) Buy 2009 Mac Pro (Mac 4,1) single processor
2) Perform Firmware upgrade "hack" to "upgrade" to Mac 5,1
3) Take dual processor tray out of 2010 Mac Pro (dead machine) and replace single processor tray in 2009 Mac Pro.

Is the above possible?
Is there anything special I would need to do to have this work OK? (i.e. swap trays 1st, swap trays after FW upgrade etc.).

I have read that the Firmware on logic board and CPU board/tray need to be the same:-

1) How does that happen (i.e. does upgrading FW upgrade on both logic board and CPU board)?
2) How to ensure (if possible) that the FW on the 2010 Dual CPU tray matches the "updated" FW on the 2009 Mac Pro?

Anything else I would need to look our for/do/be aware of?

Appreciate any help that anyone can provide.
UKenGB
Not Newbie

« Reply #1063 on: November 15, 2016, 11:14:18 PM »

Questions for those who have done the firmware upgrade.

I have a 12 core 2.93Ghz 2010 Mac Pro (2 x 6 core 2.93Ghz). This machine currently has issue which is either the Power Supply or logic board (will be looked at tomorrow by Mac service (not Apple) to determine exact issue).

If the problem turns out to be logic board then replacing will be expensive (and Power Supply also may be expensive). It may be cheaper for me to buy a 2009 (Mac 4,1) single processor from eBay to replace.

What I would want to do:-

1) Buy 2009 Mac Pro (Mac 4,1) single processor
2) Perform Firmware upgrade "hack" to "upgrade" to Mac 5,1
3) Take dual processor tray out of 2010 Mac Pro (dead machine) and replace single processor tray in 2009 Mac Pro.

Is the above possible?
Is there anything special I would need to do to have this work OK? (i.e. swap trays 1st, swap trays after FW upgrade etc.).

I have read that the Firmware on logic board and CPU board/tray need to be the same:-

1) How does that happen (i.e. does upgrading FW upgrade on both logic board and CPU board)?
2) How to ensure (if possible) that the FW on the 2010 Dual CPU tray matches the "updated" FW on the 2009 Mac Pro?

Anything else I would need to look our for/do/be aware of?

Appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Well I've only just joined after reading the entire thread (ok, I did skip some :-) and that took a looonnng time. But in the absence of any other reply, I think I can say that what you are suggesting will not work as both the main/logic board and the CPU/processor board/tray need to be on the same SMC version. The 4,1 and 5,1 have a different SMC and I suspect it just ain't gonna even boot. But I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

The question of whether the SMC can be changed to make it match has been asked on here previously, but not answered. However, if anyone does have the answer it would be good to know.
UKenGB
Not Newbie

« Reply #1064 on: November 15, 2016, 11:25:08 PM »

Has anyone updated their firmware from 4,1 to 5,1 while already running Sierra?

I've used the installer patch to allow installation of Sierra on my 4,1 and it's been running fine for weeks. Would I be right in thinking that running the firmware updater will require disabling SIP etc the same as for El Capitan? But it should then work?

I know I can just try it and I will, but it's always nice to know someone else has already done it.

So one way or another, we know Sierra runs fine on the 4,1 hardware. But for me, it gets no software updates. There's another patch that I cannot fathom and I'm not sure if every update then needs to be patched. However, can anyone who has installed Sierra just after updating the firmware to 5,1 confirm whether or not software updates work. I think there've been a couple released. Does a 4,1->5,1 upgraded Mac Pro, with Sierra installed also automatically receive any Sierra updates?
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 81
  Print  

Jump to: