netkas.org forum
August 23, 2019, 03:25:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 81
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro Firmware Upgrade Utility Released!  (Read 2131326 times)
DunePilot

« Reply #975 on: September 16, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »

Having problems updating the firmware
I have a 2009 mac pro
Running mavericks
downloaded the efi update 5.0 and loaded it
ran the firmware tool and when indicated shut down and restarted with finger on the button till it flashed and then emitted a long beep
Then when the updater started to run it (progress bar appeared for half a second) it shut down and restarted without applying the update.

Any suggestions??

thanks in advance!

Steve

PS - Sorted it! needed to update the existing 4.1 to B07 from B04 for it to work - it is now happily updating itself!

Sounds exactly like what I have going on. I will check this first when I get home from work. Anyone else have any pointers?

I only had a few minutes to work on this last night, first thing I did was throw 12 gig of 1333 Gskill in it, threw a clean 10.10.5 install on a pci-e Hyper X Predator SSD, a 4 input USB 3.0 card, and an Asus wireless card. I only had about 30 minutes to attempt the firmware update. Hopefully I have time to tackle it when I get home and hopefully its just a simple firmware update to B07 to fix my issue. I have a clean install of 10.10.5 on both the original HDD and on the pci-e SSD, I have only had a third party mouse and keyboard hooked up, and have been attempting the update using the original HDD rather than the SSD. I also am using the original GT120 GPU.  Hopefully it is as simple as updating my current firmware before the 5.1 firmware update, that slipped my mind last night and I did not even check.  

Update: Bingo! Thanks for the original post "thecadman" that was it. I was still on B04, used https://support.apple.com/kb/DL989?locale=en_US to go from B04 to B07 firmware, after updating to B07 I was able to go to 5.1, add another to the list. Much thanks to the guy(s) that wrote this patch as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:25:54 AM by DunePilot » Logged
fdog

« Reply #976 on: September 30, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »

Just wanted to thank this website, it provided me with the means to upgrade my early 2009 single 2.66GHz 4-core Xeon to 3.46Ghz 6-core Xeon.
Wanted to donate this tidbit to the internet, since I have seen a few unanswered queries pertaining to this particular error.

In addition to updating the firmware to (5,1) level, be sure to update the Apple Hardware Tools correspondingly.  Github website has pertinent information:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Otherwise you may very well end up with the following error:

4VDC/3/40000003 : VideoController

I did until I finally (real early this morning) realized I'd only updated one of three instances of it, and apparently not the one on the disk that was being booted from when I was holding down the D key.  (I still don't know which one for sure, but I suspect it was the spinning disk (the one with Snow Leopard on it).)

So there's a possible fix for those of you getting that error with Apple Hardware Test.  If you've upgraded your firmware, make sure the test software  has been upgraded as well.  Could save you from replacing a perfectly fine board or graphics card to no avail.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:27:12 PM by fdog » Logged
Fxdxtom

« Reply #977 on: October 04, 2015, 07:52:17 PM »

Hi
I'am having trouble upgrading 4,1 to 5,1.Some of what i have changed to try and get it to work. Currently running El Capitan
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB

i have changed boot drive from SSD to a regular Slow HDD in slot 1.
Still does not work. I wait for the light to blink and or hear the chime and everything else in between.
Upon restart grey screen with apple logo comes up. Status bar goes half way and screen turns grey and stays that way for about 30 seconds, then the home screen comes up. I never get a restart.

Model Name:           Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacPro4,1
  Processor Name:   Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:   2.26 GHz
  Number of Processors:   2
  Total Number of Cores:   8
  L2 Cache (per Core):   256 KB
  L3 Cache (per Processor):   8 MB
  Memory:   16 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:   5.86 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:   MP41.0081.B07
  SMC Version (system):   1.39f5
  SMC Version (processor tray):   1.39f5
0711exe

« Reply #978 on: October 05, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »

Hello Fxdxtom
I had the same issue.

I used a empty hdd and installed snow leopard.
then the update worked immediately.

I unplugged the HDD and put in my ssd/hdd fusion drive with el capitan again.

now its a 5.1

the only strange thing is that i had to type in my iCloud password and my mail password again.
Does anyone know why?

Alex
Fxdxtom

« Reply #979 on: October 05, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »

Right now I'm wating for a copy Mountain Lion. I'll put that on my spare HDD.
Should I take out my SSD with ElCaptian and just have one boot disk in the system?
accessvirus

« Reply #980 on: October 05, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »

Diagnostic tools ( apple hardware test) dvd is not working with upgraded firmewire. How can I test hardware with diagnostic tools ?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:32:49 PM by accessvirus » Logged
rxse7en

« Reply #981 on: October 08, 2015, 12:22:20 AM »

Right now I'm wating for a copy Mountain Lion. I'll put that on my spare HDD.
Should I take out my SSD with ElCaptian and just have one boot disk in the system?

Went through the same issues. For sh*ts and giggles, I went ahead and installed 10.10.5 on an additional internal HDD and ran the utility from there. It worked. Seems my issue was trying to use the utility with El Capitan.
Fubard

« Reply #982 on: October 12, 2015, 07:01:33 AM »

Ugh... after spending the last five hours to get this to work I have to ask for help. I feel like I've tried everything.

It goes through the entire process (the reflash is blind which i assume is due to my having PC version Sapphire 7950's) after the noisy, delayed restart I'm still a 4.1

I'm running 10.9.5, have a 4,1 machine with boot rom B08 & have everything unplugged from the box, all HDs out except for the system drive I cloned onto old HDD, clear P-ram each try, apple firewall is off, open the apple firmware update, and I've tried using the original update app as well as the patched one from post #966 and while nothing's broken (thank goodness) nothing's worked either.

Help? Huh

edit: I should also add that it was giving me the gpu error when my one allowed monitor was hooked up to the mini display port. strangely enough, moving to the full size dvi plug got me a bit 'further'. :S

edit 2: I have snow leopard on DVD but it won't work w these darned video cards.... anyone get this to work w these video cards? did you do the Mac flash on them? Sorry for my poor vernacular. I'm pretty far from being a guru.

yet another edit: after noticing some detail and using this amazing new thing you might call 'search' I've found some saying I don't need this, and can just install the chips and ram without this update due to my having B08.      ehhhh.... I really want someone to say if this is true or not before I go out n spend all that $$$
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:54:37 PM by Fubard » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #983 on: October 13, 2015, 11:26:10 PM »

been noted many times, you need an EFI card

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fubard

« Reply #984 on: October 14, 2015, 02:53:13 AM »

Oh... See, I dont know what that is, which is why it must have slipped my mind. I'll figure it out based on that very useful hint though. Thanks for your patience n help w my stupid newbness!!!
uimike

« Reply #985 on: October 16, 2015, 06:01:21 AM »

Here as well. El Cap no deal. Booting from 10.10.5 and running the update from there (with the Apple EFI Update dmg mounted), then booting again from the 10.10.5 disk did the trick.

Now awaiting my new Xeon 3.2 GHz.

mike
jonagold

« Reply #986 on: October 16, 2015, 07:49:35 AM »

Hi everybody,

The problem with El Capitan is the so-called System Integrity Protection (SIP). SIP prevents - among other features - writing to certain system folders, even from root users.

But you may disable SIP temporarily, as described in this tutorial. With SIP disabled, I managed to install the 5,1 firmware on my Early 2009 Mac Pro without problems yesterday evening.

Hope that helps! Smiley
James Lemon 007
Not Newbie

« Reply #987 on: November 27, 2015, 07:43:31 PM »

Edit: I guess it's probably easier to post a patched app.
Pls admin, moderate if against the rules.

Hello pigsyn,
I have the problem that I can't downgrade to the original which was 4.1.
there is always the 5570 Error.
I tried with both firmware files, which didnt work.
Im pretty sure it was not the B08 on it.
So, before I try this, I prefer to confirm, that this patched EFI tool works also for downgrading not only upgrading. he thread is a bit confusing.
Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:45:30 PM by James Lemon 007 » Logged
aarond12

« Reply #988 on: November 30, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »

I was also able to upgrade my Mac Pro 4,1 to a 5,1 in El Capitan by disabling SIP. One word of warning: The "About This Mac..." screen still shows "Mac Pro (Early 2009)". Only when you get into the System Information do you see the 5,1 designation.

Another sign that the firmware upgrade worked is that your optical drive(s) will open during the flashing. If that didn't happen after you held the power button down, you probably need to disable SIP.
HCMarkus

« Reply #989 on: March 03, 2016, 12:27:03 AM »

I guess it's probably easier to post a patched app.

Just wanted to say thanks.  After trying a few different approaches under Tiger ( 10.6.8 ), success was achieved by starting fresh with Mountain Lion ( 10.8.5 ) and your patched updater.  I have done several of these since 2012, but this was the first one that gave me trouble. As hope was waning, my optical drive sprang to life, indicating all would be well when the process was a concluded.  And it was.

Thanks again pigsyn.   Grin
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 81
  Print  

Jump to: