netkas.org forum
August 19, 2019, 10:33:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro Firmware Upgrade Utility Released!  (Read 2125898 times)
Pfurbl

« Reply #945 on: June 21, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »

Some users reported after cpu-swapping problems with unrecognized cpus/cores or ram-speed. So give it a try.

Perhaps your ram might be a problem with the new cpu?

RAM is original 32 GB bought from Apple. Don’t know whether this is good or bad :-)
Pfurbl

« Reply #946 on: June 21, 2015, 08:23:49 PM »

Some users reported after cpu-swapping problems with unrecognized cpus/cores or ram-speed. So give it a try. Firmware is updated to 5.1, seen in your screenshots. SMC-firmware can't be updated, but that is no problem, because smc doesn't contain cpu-microcode and bootrom.

I read in the Apple KB how to reset the SMC for the sMP:

To reset the SMC on Intel-based Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac mini computers, as well as Xserve:
Shut down the computer.
Unplug the power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

So, basically, the SMC is reset every time I unplug the power cord for more than 15s. Which is definitely what I did when I installed the new CPUs (unplugged for about 20mins). This leads me to the conclusion that another SMC will not help … or is there something else?
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #947 on: June 21, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »

PRAM-Reset.  Wink

Few month ago i read about cpu-swap in Dual-models....i'm not sure, but someone wrote that he fired the machine with only CPU-A and empty cpu-b-socket: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/2009MacPro12CoreCPUupgrade.html
JNieves

« Reply #948 on: June 22, 2015, 12:13:12 AM »

PRAM-Reset.  Wink

Few month ago i read about cpu-swap in Dual-models....i'm not sure, but someone wrote that he fired the machine with only CPU-A and empty cpu-b-socket: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/2009MacPro12CoreCPUupgrade.html

Finished my upgrade yesterday (using the pindelski.org instructions noted earlier), I can confirm that the machine boots perfectly with CPU B socket empty. Fans go crazy after a bit but otherwise it does work.
S.M.T.
Not Newbie

« Reply #949 on: June 27, 2015, 02:21:30 AM »

So I am getting ready to attempt this on my single CPU 4,1 Mac Pro...  Wondering what things I need to avoid, be careful of, not do (or do)...

I have read through the thread and found some suggestions but want to make sure I am not missing anything... Don't want to end up with a failed Mac Pro that won't boot...

• Ensure the current firmware is fully up to date...  Currently running MP41.0081.B07
  • Download the Mac Pro 1.5 firmware package from Apple and mount it
  • Remove all other hard drives and peripherals
  • Use only one display, attached to the GT120
  • Boot off a drive that is not SSD
  • Reset PRAM before starting

One thing I don't believe I have seen that I am wondering if it wouldn't be a safe idea... That is to boot off a hard drive that has a clean OS install?  I have a spare 3.5" hard drive that I could easily do this with...

Anything I missed?
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #950 on: June 27, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »

No. Because the firmware-update is loaded from a ram-disk, which is loaded with running OS. You can perform the update with any operating system, regardless of which drive is installed.
S.M.T.
Not Newbie

« Reply #951 on: June 27, 2015, 01:16:32 PM »

I have read that the 5,1 firmware enables audio out the HDMI/DP connections. Is this true?

I have been using this method to get audio out my DP connection:
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/guide-hdmi-audio.1499797/
S.M.T.
Not Newbie

« Reply #952 on: June 27, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »

Add another 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 to the list... Thanks to those who made this tool and this upgrade possible... Now just waiting on my X5690 to arrive!  Cheesy
dsf

« Reply #953 on: July 08, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »

Hi there! this is my first post so hello all...
I tried to search for this but there are so many pages i couldn't find a precise answer. I tried to flash my 2009 MP with the app to start an upgrade, but it says "the program has encountered an error: 5570"
I guess it refers to the GPU??

Fangio
Not Newbie

« Reply #954 on: July 08, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »

"error: 5570"
I guess it refers to the GPU??

No. Download this, mount it and try again.

<-- #817 and here is more info.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:42:08 PM by Fangio » Logged
stegdump

« Reply #955 on: July 11, 2015, 09:46:16 PM »

Hi all,
Quick question.  I have a daughter board from a 2009 dual core 4,1 that I would like to swap into a single core 5,1 machine (simply swapping the daughterboards).  When I do this the fans run full blast.  I am assuming I need to update the SMC in the 5,1 to recognize the dual core daughter board.  Does anyone know if this is possible?
Thanks.
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #956 on: July 11, 2015, 11:57:39 PM »

Not possible, because Apple never released SMC-updates for MP4.1/5.1.

You can sell the cpu-board......
stegdump

« Reply #957 on: July 12, 2015, 02:20:12 AM »

Not possible?  Can you not flash the SMC on the 5,1 to the proper, dual processor firmware?
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #958 on: July 12, 2015, 09:51:43 AM »

This machine has two SMCs, on the mainboard and a second on the cpu-tray. The version of both SMCs must match, otherwise the fans run on full speed. The MP4.1 and 5.1 are the only machines with two smc-units; Apple never released updates for smc, but there exist a few different versions.

The bootrom (firmware) isn't the same as smc and bootrom-updates won't update the smc and vice versa.

Probably only way for an inofficial update would be desoldering the controllers (from older and a new MP!), reading the programcode and flash it to the older smc. They use special controllers, i guess most are from Renesas, perhaps only accessible with Renesas-tools.....

tomric

« Reply #959 on: July 30, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »

For the records: Another early Mac Pro 2009 (W3520, Quad 2.66 GHz) upgraded, thanks to your great utilty.

Of course I read the documentation before and was prepared to tweak around with the connector, thermal pads and counting numbers of turns for the screws when I found out, that my Mac Pro already came with a CPU that has a heatspreader - so the whole thing turned to be very easy.

I just had to remove the heatsink and the original CPU, replace it with the new X5670 (6-Core 2,93 GHz, best bang for the buck), apply some thermal paste and reattach the heatsink...
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81
  Print  

Jump to: