netkas.org forum
October 20, 2020, 06:03:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 82
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro Firmware Upgrade Utility Released!  (Read 2503405 times)
gooberboy

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »

Hello, I have an octo (2x2.2.6) 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro. If I purchase two Westmere processors, will I have to remove the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) and/or do the other things outlined in the Anandtech article a ways back about octo-core upgrades? If I have to risk all that and go through all the trouble, I probably won't bother.

Here's the Nehalem octo upgrade article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800/10

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:30:08 PM by gooberboy » Logged
beto2k7
Not Newbie

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »

Hello, I have an octo (2x2.2.6) 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro. If I purchase two Westmere processors, will I have to remove the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) and/or do the other things outlined in the Anandtech article a ways back about octo-core upgrades? If I have to risk all that and go through all the trouble, I probably won't bother.

Thanks.

No but you will need to modify the heatsink fan connector to seat properly. It wont connect as needed due to the IHS added height.
sammyman
Not Newbie

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »

What happens when Apple releases updated firmware for the MacPro5,1?  I know software will be fine.  Would that mess up our hacked 2009 systems?
gooberboy

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »

Thanks.

No but you will need to modify the heatsink fan connector to seat properly. It wont connect as needed due to the IHS added height.

Thanks, is there a tutorial somewhere on modifying the fan connector?
fairbanx
Not Newbie

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »

take a look at this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=781908&page=10, post #246

Mac Pro 4,1 - 10.8.x
gooberboy

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »

take a look at this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=781908&page=10, post #246

Okay, looks like washers and pads are the way to go. Any sourcing ideas on the washers? I can't seem to find one in that thread. Thanks again for your help!

MacEFIRom
Not Newbie

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »

The difference in height between the non-IHS CPUs and the normal CPUs with IHS attached is 2.24 mm (0.088 inch). I found some M4 x 9 washers that I sorted thru and found groups of 3 that were that height, +/- 0.03 mm (about 0.001 inch).
brosenz

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »

I just found out: My original OS X Install DVDs don't work anymore now after the upgrade.

Oh what the hell... Lion is gonna be here soon anyway...

I called the Apple Store today to buy a Retail Snow Leopard DVD and they said it's only an upgrade so it will not work for a clean install, please can somebody confirm this ?, I've read multiple forums stating that even though is an upgrade it will allow you to do a full clean install.

Is there a way to buy a replacement original Mac OS X Install DVD for Mac Pro (2010) 5.1 ?, I haven't tried with the 2009 Install DVD disk that I have, but based on the forum it will not work, thanks
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »

Installed fresh version in vmware many times. no probs.
brosenz

« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2011, 09:48:40 PM »

How do you install Mac OS X on VMWare ?, thanks
beto2k7
Not Newbie

« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »

I just found out: My original OS X Install DVDs don't work anymore now after the upgrade.

Oh what the hell... Lion is gonna be here soon anyway...

I called the Apple Store today to buy a Retail Snow Leopard DVD and they said it's only an upgrade so it will not work for a clean install, please can somebody confirm this ?, I've read multiple forums stating that even though is an upgrade it will allow you to do a full clean install.

Is there a way to buy a replacement original Mac OS X Install DVD for Mac Pro (2010) 5.1 ?, I haven't tried with the 2009 Install DVD disk that I have, but based on the forum it will not work, thanks

2009 install disc work for me as well as 2010 install disc. 2010 AHT and ASD won't though. SL retail disc will do fresh installs. And you need valid serial to request 2010 install disc to apple
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:49:28 PM by beto2k7 » Logged
Wildcat_1

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2011, 11:02:33 PM »

SO I have a question please. I installed the FW update using your utility which was awesome. If I want to upgrade from my current Dual CPU setup (dual 2.26 Quad Cores), what specifically do I need to look for in the Westmere processors and anything I need to do or remove ?

I have included a link to current Westmere's from Newegg as a source. Just wondered what on their list I could use in my machine in a dual CPU config ?

Thanks again so much

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=westmere%20xeon%20qpi&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:21 PM »

How do you install Mac OS X on VMWare ?, thanks

vmware fusion, and its offtopic.
pjdgilmour
Not Newbie

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2011, 02:13:36 AM »

Hello, is it possible to make a patch for the Mac Pro 1.1 to 3.1? Or else the 1.1 to 2.1?

Mac Pro 2.1 (2x E5335)  - 2.1 now, firmware tool! :-)
8 GB RAM
Radeon 5870 Apple
HP LP2475W
Alesis IO 26 Firewire
M-Audio BX5
Librarian580

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2011, 02:47:53 AM »

So in overall summary, to try and get most information one may need in to one convenient response/post... Maybe with this someone can put together a guide or something. I know the answers to some, but I'd prefer if someone clarify these questions, and that way it'll maybe be a bit more organized.

1. Do we just go to the store and pick out any of the applicable Xeon CPU's that will fit in the Mac Pro socket? Any particular stepping? What about B0 stepping that I've seen a few of? ES? D0?

2. Is there any software modification beside the firmware update that we need to do? Will we need to Flash the CPU or something? (I assume some others *might* have that question, as I didn't find out the answer until recently)

3. Will we need to modify the CPU itself in any way, such as removing the Integrated Heat Spreader? Will we need to modify the Board or Fans in any way?

4. How do we get around the Integrated heat spreader size issue? What change or modification should we make or look out for to avoid damaging the CPU/Board pins?

5. What should we do if we end up screwing up somehow, and ending up with say, broken pins, or damage to the CPU, short circuit, or other hazards mentioned in the anandtech and other articles? Is CPU damage covered by Intel warranty? Is there a simple process to get those RMA'd?

6. Should we wait until the next Intel generation of Xeon's come out? (5700's) for price drops? Is it possible that the next generation will be naturally compatible with the 2010 Mac Pro? or would that be for the 2011/2012 mac pro?

7. Can a single Xeon (such as a single X5690 or W3690) Be used in a Dual-Xeon mac pro on its own?

8. Will an i7 processor work in a Mac Pro?

9. Which Xeon's overall will work?

10. After doing the firmware upgrade, will the mac pro still be able to use the original 2009 Processors without issue?

11. Is it possible that this process will be put to use for when the 2011 Mac Pro becomes available?

I hope Apple realizes that with this, one of PC fanboys arguments that you can't upgrade a Mac is now somewhat null. If anything Apple should take this under their wing and support it, for the sake of preventing a lot of Ex-mac users who get tired of having to purchase full new mac pros. Maybe if they like, started offering an upgrade kit.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 82
  Print  

Jump to: