netkas.org forum
October 21, 2017, 05:51:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro Firmware Upgrade Utility Released!  (Read 1027327 times)
h9826790

« Reply #1185 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »

^^^^I certainly disagree with that statement.  I have been creating and then installing my OS with a USB installer since MacOS 10.08.  Prior to that I made CDs.  When running from the internet you run the risk of a power or internet failure.  And with a USB installer, you always have the installer for use in case something goes wrong later.  IMHO, there is absolutely no good reason not to make. run, and keep a USB installer disk.

Lou

It may be right in the past, but not applicable to HS (with firmware upgrade). It's much better to run the installer from an internal HDD for firmware upgrade. There are few reports about firmware upgrade fail because running the installer from USB drive. Apple never ever release a USB drive tool for cMP to upgrade firmware, only via HDD (or optical drive, for firmware restoration).

Anyway, I said run from HDD, not from the internet. There is no risk about internet failure. In fact, there is no risk about accidentally bump into the USB drive (or unplug it, etc) as well. There are plenty of HDD bay in cMP. I really can't see why not boot from an internal backup boot drive to run the installer (if want a clean OS installation), but from a USB drive that only has USB 2.0 connection.
CliveB

« Reply #1186 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »

I have a 2009 Mac Pro which I changed from 4,1 to 5,1 using the software mentioned in this thread. I am now running 10.12.6.

I downloaded and created a USB installer for 10.13. As I understand it before I upgrade to 10.13 the firmware will be upgraded. Is that firmware part of the installer or will the installer pull it down over the Internet?

I used the USB installer to upgrade to 10.13. It first upgraded the firmware and after rebooting upgraded to 10.13. After going through and resetting a few things things all is good.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80]
  Print  

Jump to: