netkas.org forum
November 15, 2018, 01:47:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon R290X Mavericks support test  (Read 88071 times)
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 01:31:41 AM »

I have updated the file, should fix the qe/ci
novakane
Not Newbie

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 06:26:05 AM »

Just an update on my testing... on a clean Mavericks install, the driver is working excellent with my r9 290x (the previously mentioned PowerColor card)... As long as the nVidia is not present, so I presume that was the root cause of my tearing issues, I'm still fiddling with that on a staging setup but it's not really relevant to the drivers themselves per se.

The one thing that is not working however is Chameleon booting... This seems to be the same issue as with the 7xxx cards, a quick hack is to enable the motherboard iGPU as first device. Essentially Chameleon bails after boot0 and fills the screen with random characters.

I attempted the EFI hack documented here with mixed results: http://www.tonymacx86.com/318-amd-radeon-hd-7xxx-graphics-support-os-x-10-8-3/comments3.html#comments

On the plus side, Chameleon will boot on the AMD without crashing with the random characters when when the internal video (iGPU) is disabled, after applying the hack.
The downside is that instead of loading the desktop the screen flashes then goes black. The hard disk light continues to flash so I suspect the system continues to load but without video.

With the internal video enabled, everything boots fine after the EFI hack but even with no monitor connected to it I get an extra screen in the Displays control panel and the system has to boot blindly (no loading screen or diagnostic messages with -v ... not ideal especially when troubleshooting other aspects of the system).

(edited with more details)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:01:58 AM by novakane » Logged
jasonsansone
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »

Just an update on my testing... on a clean Mavericks install, the driver is working excellent with my r9 290x (the previously mentioned PowerColor card)... As long as the nVidia is not present, so I presume that was the root cause of my tearing issues, I'm still fiddling with that on a staging setup but it's not really relevant to the drivers themselves per se.

The one thing that is not working however is Chameleon booting... This seems to be the same issue as with the 7xxx cards, a quick hack is to enable the motherboard iGPU as first device. Essentially Chameleon bails after boot0 and fills the screen with random characters.

I attempted the EFI hack documented here with mixed results: http://www.tonymacx86.com/318-amd-radeon-hd-7xxx-graphics-support-os-x-10-8-3/comments3.html#comments

On the plus side, Chameleon will boot on the AMD without crashing with the random characters when when the internal video (iGPU) is disabled, after applying the hack.
The downside is that instead of loading the desktop the screen flashes then goes black. The hard disk light continues to flash so I suspect the system continues to load but without video.

With the internal video enabled, everything boots fine after the EFI hack but even with no monitor connected to it I get an extra screen in the Displays control panel and the system has to boot blindly (no loading screen or diagnostic messages with -v ... not ideal especially when troubleshooting other aspects of the system).

Have you tried the boot0md option in chameleon wizard?  I didn't want to use the EFI partition because it makes it nearly impossible to use the nvram trick for iMessage. My 280X's for great when I used boot0md. I have IGP disabled as well.
novakane
Not Newbie

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »

Have you tried the boot0md option in chameleon wizard?  I didn't want to use the EFI partition because it makes it nearly impossible to use the nvram trick for iMessage. My 280X's for great when I used boot0md. I have IGP disabled as well.

I did try that with no effect. I'll give another shot today and see what happens.

edit: I have tried the boot0md option on a new clean install of 10.9... This did fix the chameleon loading issue but I end up with the dreaded white-screen-with-a-mouse-cursor issue when it tries to launch the desktop. So far no luck getting around that particular problem, the system is only working in safe mode.

edit: after fiddling with several setups and combinations I was able to determine one of the key issues is having dual screens connected to the ATI card. It works in safe mode but will crash the system using these drivers.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:31:31 PM by novakane » Logged
novakane
Not Newbie

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 10:11:51 PM »

I can confirm that this patch works with the mobile Saturn XT cards (Bonaire, not Hawaii).  I have a FirePro M6100, and this enables it in Mavericks, at least to a framebuffer extent.  I haven't been able to test 3d, because I've mainly been trying to get it working in DP1 of 10.10.

I do notice though that dual screens cause my system to crash.  Could anyone using this try plugging in two monitors and let me know what happens?

Thanks!

I have been testing things out, and I also have it crashing with two monitors plugged in. Took me a bunch of tries doing other things until I realized that was actually the issue I was having... It seems to work quite well with a single display.

Thanks also to Netkas for doing this... Hopefully the dual display issue is something that can be resolved, but perhaps we need Apple to finish the drivers? Not sure if there is anything that you can do?

edit: Note that I am using a Hawaii chipset and not Bonaire so it seems clear that this is a driver issue and not chipset dependant.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:44:17 PM by novakane » Logged
novakane
Not Newbie

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »

Ok, I've done about as much testing as I have the patience for at this time. (Reinstalled Mac OS well over a dozen times)
My last test had it running well on 10.9, but the 10.9.3 update seemed to break the working setup, even if I reinstalled the Hawaii pkg which seemed odd since I did have it mostly working on 10.9.3 at first.
It was very unstable after the update - black screen for a while, eventually it did display some video but it was distorted and unusable. Very strange.
My test rig was quite stable previously so the general hardware is good for the OS in general - Sabertooth Z77 with i7 3770k.

Will wait for feedback from Netkas or another update before trying much else.

edit: Sorry if I'm posting too much about this... just trying to share my experience with the driver. I did one more final re-install test and excluded any attempts at dual displays altogether on this one. Did 10.9 > 10.9.3 update and all seems well, so I guess it was something else on my system causing trouble last try.
My general diagnosis is that with a single display, this is working quite well - a second display wrecks the whole thing, regardless of if it's on the same card or a different card. I tried having the 2nd display on the same card and it basically crashed the system. I tried a 2nd display on the iGPU (Intel HD 4000) and it made it unstable. I tried the 2nd display on a variety of nVidia cards with various combinations of primary/secondary and it made the system unstable and introduced performance and/or graphic issues on either or (usually) both displays and/or outright crashed the system. I unfortunately do not have a 2nd ATI card to test with, but I wouldn't have high hopes.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:03:36 AM by novakane » Logged
Nameless One
Not Newbie

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »

With the updated files modified to include the device id of the R9 290 they will drive my 30" monitor on its own plugged in via DP.
 If I boot with my other two monitors also plugged (1 via DVI the other via the HDMI port with HDMI-DVI cable) in I am stuck with a grey screen on the 30", black on the others.
 If I boot with just the 30" and subsequently plug one of the others in then the 30" goes almost completely black, I can just make out the desktop, and after 20-30 seconds or so the desktop image breaks up.
 If I swap the cables of the DVI and DP then it will boot up with those two monitors working but will stall at a grey background on those two monitors. I can't remember what the situation was with the 30" on DP but with the two monitors working it is aware of the third, the mouse pointer can move into the space where the monitors display would be.

Edit: with these drivers my card is now listed as an HD8xxx with 4GB of VRAM
duraaraa

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »

Ok, I've done about as much testing as I have the patience for at this time. (Reinstalled Mac OS well over a dozen times)
My last test had it running well on 10.9, but the 10.9.3 update seemed to break the working setup, even if I reinstalled the Hawaii pkg which seemed odd since I did have it mostly working on 10.9.3 at first.
It was very unstable after the update - black screen for a while, eventually it did display some video but it was distorted and unusable. Very strange.
My test rig was quite stable previously so the general hardware is good for the OS in general - Sabertooth Z77 with i7 3770k.

Will wait for feedback from Netkas or another update before trying much else.

edit: Sorry if I'm posting too much about this... just trying to share my experience with the driver. I did one more final re-install test and excluded any attempts at dual displays altogether on this one. Did 10.9 > 10.9.3 update and all seems well, so I guess it was something else on my system causing trouble last try.
My general diagnosis is that with a single display, this is working quite well - a second display wrecks the whole thing, regardless of if it's on the same card or a different card. I tried having the 2nd display on the same card and it basically crashed the system. I tried a 2nd display on the iGPU (Intel HD 4000) and it made it unstable. I tried the 2nd display on a variety of nVidia cards with various combinations of primary/secondary and it made the system unstable and introduced performance and/or graphic issues on either or (usually) both displays and/or outright crashed the system. I unfortunately do not have a 2nd ATI card to test with, but I wouldn't have high hopes.

Same results with me on Bonaire.  I can get dual screens working if the internal screen is the igpu and the external is the AMD, but stability and performance are both issues.

I'm hoping we get either a new FB other than Baladi to try, or a new version of the driver in the near future.  Obviously, they will need to put out a working driver at some point Tongue

Could you please confirm whether or not sleep is working?  For me, it doesn't, and I want to make sure the reason is the video card. Thanks.
liunice

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »

I have updated the file, should fix the qe/ci

Hi, I've tested your latest driver for my R9 295X2 in 10.9.3 but it didn't work. Then I added dev-id 0x67B91002 to AMD8000Controller.kext like I did in 10.10 DP1. After reboot, I got full resolution 3840X2160 but no QE/CI. All the windows respond very slowly. So what should I do next? Is it possible to make this driver work for R9 295X2 which contains two R9 290x?
Lorphos

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »

I ordered a Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 290 Windforce OC today, will try it with 10.9.3 and your files as soon as it arrives.
gully666uk

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »

Will this work with my R9 290?
I have no idea how to edit it to make it work either if i'm honest.I have been waiting for a breakthrough with this for a long time.
Lorphos

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »

So, 10.9.4 was released today (build 13E28) and I installed it on a MacBook Air.

Does the fact that there is no /System/Library/Extensions/AMD8000Controller.kext on that machine mean that the Hawaii drivers are NOT included in 10.9.4?
mysticalos

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 06:59:13 AM »

Pretty safe bet apple won't really be updating drivers with those in 10.9.x unless they release new hardware before 10.10 is ready. I mean hell they still ship nvidia r310, same drivers we've been using since 10.8.
cybert
Not Newbie

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »

I can confirm that it works with the Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB DDR5 version.
The card is now recognized as a 7xxx series, the performance is a bit slow, but it works Smiley
blppt

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 02:02:59 AM »

Tried the updated package, works great with my Sapphire 290x through HDMI driving 1 monitor on 10.9.3. Only thing is that toleda's HDMI audio patch does not appear to work. Is this to be expected?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: