netkas.org forum
August 25, 2019, 05:46:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Netkas, Rominator, I want a ROM and I can pay  (Read 9309 times)
rabidz7
Not Newbie

« on: April 05, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »

Rom creators, if you can build be a fully-functioning ROM for the ATi R9 270, I will pay you $1000-$10,000 or more in cash or paypal. The ROM must be Open Firmware and work in my PowerMac G5 Quad. Can you do this for me?
blacksheep

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »

I can make a non-functional one for free, if you're interested.
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 04:05:12 AM »

I wrote a couple really good PowerPC F-Code roms.

Last one was 8 (yes, EIGHT) years ago.

Every single one of them was for Nvidia.

I had ZERO (0) luck with ATI.

I have smoked a lot of weed and drank a lot of beer since and have forgotten literally almost EVERYTHING I used to know about F-Code.

I have a very busy life with a large writing project coming due very shortly.

I sold off every PPC machine I owned years ago.

I will tell you everything I still know so that you can start where I would.

F-Code had many similarities to PC BIOS.

In fact, if you stared it for hours and hours it had a musical sort of rhythm that was similar.

It is broken by tokenizing strings. They are identical over and over, I seem to recall thewm being 10 or 12 bytes long.

After a few days staring at them you can sort of sing them. You could eventually see the PC BIOS strings broken up by the tokenizing strings with lots of other stuff.

When I did 7800GTX512 I literally stayed up 3 days straight. I was quite insane at end, but the card worked perfectly.

I see roms as rhythms and in ways that nobody who knows what they are doing would ever see them. The last computer class I took was when I was 14 and had ZERO to do wit this stuff, was taught by a bored gym teacher.

If you wish to do this, start with relative to X1900, I would suggest X1900 512. Take the 256 Meg rom and make it read the full 512. That will show you how to change RAM quantity. I seem to recall that there was a GDDR4 version of X1900, make that one work next, will require more RAM strings moved over.

When you get bold, try 2600XT or 2900XT. Keep moving up families until you get to current.

For me to even consider this you would have to send me the $10K and a PPC machine and then leave me alone for at least 6 months.

And even then I would make no guarantees and might never finish.

Aside from which, how would it be tested? It isn't like EFI where the EFI hands off to PC BIOS which loads with drivers. F-Code loaded directly with PPC drivers so you kind of need the drivers first to see if F-Code rom handed off properly. If you look carefully at my 7800GTX512 and AGP 7800GT they used existing device id's  so that they could load with existing drivers. (Nvidia and/or Apple was kind enough to include PCIE/AGP bridge chip in drivers, I never got anyone to understand just how amazing this was. My rom magic would never have happened had they not included these)

In short, it isn't going to happen.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
mysticalos

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »

With that money, just buy something to replace the G5.
etc

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »

With that money, just buy something to replace the G5.
Yeah, it's cheaper way.

4770K/Z97 Deluxe/GTX 1080 FE + GTX 690 Ref.
rabidz7
Not Newbie

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 05:10:18 PM »

If you can guarantee that I will get a working ROM, I will gladly send $5000 and a PowerMac G5 Quad to you. But, can you guarantee that I will get a fully-functional ROM within three months?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:18:11 PM by rabidz7 » Logged
electonic

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

You're joking, right? Take a lot less of this money and just get baseline new Mac Pro.
1000 times better than your G5.
CrisisDog
Not Newbie

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »

Stupid but obvious question - What good is this without a driver?  And even if you had one written up, OS X 10.5 Leopard has less modern graphics ability built into its code than the more current copies of OS X.  Blizzard was all about regurgitating that fact when dropping WoW support for PowerPC.
mountarde

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »

Rominator, this is a very nice piece you've written here. Impatient to read more in your large writing project.
Thank you again for all the time spent already and still taking time to respond. Life is short, is it?. As for smoking weed and drinking lot of beer, it seems to me that guy with a lot of cash to waste must have done quite the same, wondered if he even got his cash from these side businesses.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: