netkas.org forum
September 26, 2021, 02:09:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Native Wireless 802 ac Wifi in a Mac Pro via original Mini PCIE slot WORKING !!!  (Read 70312 times)
tobesuper2014

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »

i think i can help you do this wifi and bluetooth4.0 card adapter.
raever
Not Newbie

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »

Keen to see the solution!  Shocked
madmarc
Not Newbie

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »

I ordered a kit for my Mac Pro 4.1 from OSXwifi.com.

In this kit, antenna extension for bluetooth is missing and you should connect an external USB cable for the missing bluetooth USB connection.

Not a very nice solution.

So I modified the kit. Bought an external antenna cable for BT. I only got female female connector, so I bought 2 male connectors for soldering and put the together to get a male male adapter.

Also I modified the stock cable for USB connection. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1748061 here you can read how to modify the connector for USB connection.

Everything worked fine. Bluethooth 4.0 and Wifi.

I also looked for the connector at the motherboard, you can buy this alone if you don't want to cut the old connector.
2000one
Not Newbie

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »

Hi,

I just installed a BCM94360CD card in my MacPro1,1-->MacPro2,1

Bluetooth is working, WiFi is not.

There is no WiFi adapter shown in 10.9.5 System Profiler.
Win8 over Bootcamp is also not recognising any WiFi Devices, only the Bluetooth.

I tried to reseat the module in the adapter card and the adpter in the Mini-PCIe Slot on the logicboard, unfortunately no changes.

The bluetooth connection is working, feels a bit flaky from time to time. I have got a MacPro1,1 with mislabeled antennas, antenna #1 has been working great with the original BT Module 820-1696-A, so I connected that same antenna to J3/A3 on the new card.
Old WiFi card BCM94321MC / 0205335-A

After reading a lot in advance, I believe the card I bought should be working OOB without any USB/antenna modifications in the MacPro1,1.

But...on the BT side of the module following information is shown:

Chipset: 20702B0
Vendor ID: 0x05AC
Product ID: 0x828D

Handoff Supported: No  Huh

The card is labeled as

Model: BCM94360CD
Part: Z653-0014 (is the Z a problem here  Huh )

So... am I missing some incompatibility thing here or do I have a misunderstanding about the functionality with MacPro1,1?
Is maybe the WiFi part on the card faulty?
Could the adapter be the problem?
Or did I just buy the wrong model?
Why is Handoff not supported?

Thanks very much for help and comments!

* 0.jpg (127.05 KB, 327x382 - viewed 1461 times.)

* 1.jpg (165.88 KB, 1231x2094 - viewed 1479 times.)

* 2.jpg (222.75 KB, 1335x2204 - viewed 1528 times.)

* 3.jpg (218.87 KB, 1463x2326 - viewed 1789 times.)

* 4.jpg (188.07 KB, 1423x2393 - viewed 1661 times.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:01:48 PM by 2000one » Logged
mysticalos

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 11:54:16 PM »

I got a part that had that problem and the problem was it wasn't an APPLE OEM, it was actually a Dell of same part number.

That exact card was used in some dells and some sellers sold it not knowing difference.

The way to tell is to go to bluetooth transport under USB devices and make sure vendor is APPLE. if vendor is broadcom, it's not an Apple oem card. It's probably form a dell

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID:   0x828d
  Vendor ID:   0x05ac  (Apple Inc.)<-----
  Version:   1.12
  Speed:   Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:   Apple Inc.
  Location ID:   0x14e30000 / 8
  Current Available (mA):   1000
  Current Required (mA):   0
  Extra Operating Current (mA):   0
  Built-In:   Yes

EDIT, actually yours is an apple too based on vendor id from that other screen shot. Strange.

This is mine

Apple Bluetooth Software Version:   4.4.0f4 16320
  Hardware, Features, and Settings:
  Name:   Omega-4
  Address:   C8-E0-EB-43-1B-C8
  Bluetooth Low Energy Supported:   Yes
  Handoff Supported:   Yes
  Instant Hot Spot Supported:   Yes
  Manufacturer:   Broadcom
  Transport:   USB
  Chipset:   20702B0
  Firmware Version:   v112 c9036
  Bluetooth Power:   On
  Discoverable:   Off
  Connectable:   Yes
  Auto Seek Pointing:   Off
  Remote wake:   On
  Vendor ID:   0x05AC
  Product ID:   0x828D
  HCI Version:   0x6
  HCI Revision:   0x234C
  LMP Version:   0x6
  LMP Subversion:   0x4170
  Device Type (Major):   Computer
  Device Type (Complete):   Mac Desktop
  Composite Class Of Device:   0x380104
  Device Class (Major):   0x01
  Device Class (Minor):   0x01
  Service Class:   0x1C0
  Auto Seek Keyboard:   Off
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:55:51 PM by mysticalos » Logged
2000one
Not Newbie

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »

Thanks for your info!
Yes, my card also seems just right to me in the first place.

I will need to order another one plus adapter to crosscheck if one of these is just broken... will take another month or so due to shipping times from china and my absence from home in the coming weeks...

Will report back.
Rominator

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 11:24:38 PM »

Hey, I have some info that may help. I think we all know that Apple doesn't sell these things in China so that they can be imported to US.

More then likely they are getting smuggled out of factories in people's socks, etc to supplement their $2/day pay.

I once got a box of 60 of these from which only 3 cards were fully functional. The rest had one or the other part that had pre-release versions of the chips. So, similar chip, but device id not in the drivers. More then likely a kext hack adding the device id would have fixed them but the whole reason to buy these cards is to take advantage of their being 100% supported.

If and when these cards get tested, they are likely tested in Windows where one device id is just like another. So it is difficult for seller to test accuaratelly know about OS X function. (especially if they have sock lint on them)

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
2000one
Not Newbie

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »

As promised my update on my WiFi/Bluetooth situation with adapter part# Z653-0014.

After leaving the MacPro1,1 for a while like it was, still with my Bluetooth-only card mounted loosely, I flashed another graphics card in the computer.

After switching the GPUs suddenly I had WiFi and everything was in working order like it should be.

I then needed to swap BT labeled antenna and 1 labeled antenna, because my antennas in the MacPro1,1 are mislabeled. The Bluetooth antenna (antenna labeled 1 in my case) should connect to J3, the second connector from the left when you have the connectors facing you on top of the card. You can test with a BT mouse stepping away from the Mac while moving the cursor. If the connection is stuttering while moving to the other corner of the room it is likely that the wrong antenna connects to J3. The module and antenna should provide smooth mouse tracking even 3 or 4 meters away from the Mac. Maybe even more...

After a few successful reboots with my optimized antenna configuration I wanted to screw everything in place.
I fiddled adapter, card and antennas in place for final mounting and tightened the screws.

Of course I had NO WiFi again after rebooting the tidied up case after the final fitting of the adapter.

Now I knew that the correct connection of the card has been the problem all the time and I came to the conclusion that the connection and seating in the adapter is the weak spot here. I must have touched the assembly while switching graphics cards. And must have changed the position of it during my optimizations. Even if the module feels tight and correctly seated it may not provide a fully working card. Even a minimal change in position, or just the tightening of a mounting screw gave me varying WiFi functionality.  I also noted that the contacts on my card got some damage from the adapter from all the seating and reseating. Cheap crap!

So better double and triple check with adapters like mine and don't give up... I could only get this working by trial and error. There is no indication of a proper card seating in my adapter. Maybe this is a problem only with my adapter being defective, but after quick research it seems that a correct positioning or reseating of those cards and adapters can solve issues very often.
2000one
Not Newbie

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2016, 08:53:01 AM »

Hi there,

Does anyone know if I could solder a cable for bluetooth connection in MacPro4,1 or MacPro5,1 to this adapter here:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8385.0;attach=3759;image
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8385.0;attach=3761;image

Which one would be D+ and D-?

And since I do not want to modify the connector cable (922-8962 Apple Bluetooth Cable (to-Backplane Board) For Mac pro) is anyone there who knows what kind of connection this is on Backplane side or which connector I could get to adapt to the cable on Bluetooth card side?
or is this thing an Apple exclusive connection?

Thanks for input!
2000one
Not Newbie

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2016, 11:49:56 PM »

Ok, looks like I needed another adapter. The R1 solder points did not seem to be of any use for bluetooth.

The connector
922-8962 Apple Bluetooth Cable (to-Backplane Board) For Mac pro

has most likely a
JST SH CONNECTOR Model No. SHR-04V-S-B (http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eSH.pdf)

on the Backplane Board side.

If you search eBay for
jst sh 4 pin

you will find pre-crimped connectors with cables.

I didn't order one yet, since the 2 pin cables that came with my chinese adapter card have SH connectors as well and they fit into the 4 pin socket on the Backplane Board of the Mac.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: