netkas.org forum
October 28, 2020, 06:37:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvida Upgrade Question  (Read 6536 times)
sdgros01
Not Newbie

« on: February 10, 2014, 12:35:11 AM »

I'm looking to upgrade to an nvida card now that tiamos boot efi works -----and now have Chameleon as a backup as well

Machine Specs as follows
Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 firmware
2x5355
16gb ram
1x Apple 5770 ----bridged----1xFlashed Raedon 5770
SL (for rosetta support) Lion (to replace boot.efi on future updates), M. Lion (cause I can) and Mavericks (daily driven) and Windows 8.1

I have a epower 450w opti graphics power supply sitting on my desk.
I'm looking to boost gaming performance on windows side of the machine. I'm running into issues with crossfire due to complication with catalyst and the Apple OEM 5770.

I have read numerous posts on nvida cards, especially how 1,1/2,1 can't kepler cards --- Now that its stable on 10.8/10.9 and in theory they should work without fault what are some recommendations for a nvida based card that will boost gaming performance. Ideally I would like to try and keep the OEM 5770 in it for boot screens etc. unless I can flash an nvida then I would contemplate an sli configuration.

Like I said I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to graphics performance and gaming, just trying to get into and broaden my knowledge.
Rominator

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:37:49 AM »

The best combo would've an EFI32 GT120 and a GTX680or GTX780.

This would get you boot screens and a solid gaming performer that can run 6 total displays .

Sadly flashing a GT120 requires a new EEPROM so is something you can't do at home.

This makes the 2nd option more attractive.

An AMD 7950/70 can be easily flashed and gives you boot screens from all 4 ports.

On the minus side, it can't be used in 10.7 and before

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
sdgros01
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, would I be better off to try and stick with AMD since I may keep the 5770 in it to have boot screens. OR would the 5770 play nice if I left it in there with a 6xx or 7xx nvida card. If you dont mind me asking what would be a good performing card (or better than the 5770's i have now) thats a little less in price than the GTX 680/780. Don't quite have 4-5 hundred to drop a card at the moment. Likiewise on the AMD route any mid range cards that are flashable but still performing better than the 5770's.

Thanks for the input again!
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »

amd drivers suck a lot lately and amd windows driver will panic (result in bsod) when you boot windows with both amd and nvidia cards. You will need to uninstall any driver for 5770 (with driver fusion or etc) only then it will work.
sdgros01
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:00:30 PM »

I was contemplating on doing a clean install of Windows anyway. Are you stating that it is possible to leave the 5770 in there and only install the drivers for the nvida card in windows, or Do i need to fully remove the 5770.

My reasoning for keeping the 5770 is if need be, to boot into lion to replace the boot.efi files when they are overwritten by updates, I suppose I could always target disk the mac pro and do it remotely from another mac in the house.

I suppose another plausible idea would be a cheap EVGA 8800GT and flash it for bootscreens (the single slot blue white black one would work correct?)

Or is there a AMD solution similar to this?----

Run a 7xxx series card with bootscreen etc and then crossfire a single width card that is OS X compatible with 10.7 and earlier

I was really trying to switch over to nvida for gaming as everything I've read its ideal compared to AMD alternatives

Sorry for the nonsense questions just trying to figure out the best possible setups for me instead of spending alot and playing the trial and error game.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:46:50 PM by sdgros01 » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:35:42 PM »

I already explained best option.

Single slot GT120 for EFI32 gives you boot screens and doesn't use power cables, like an 8800GT does. Apple was very lazy when they wrote 8800GT rom, it always runs at full speed, soaking up Watts and throwing off heat.

GT120 with a GTX 780 would solve all issues. 670 or 680 cheaper.

Can't crossfire two unrelated AMD cards.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
sdgros01
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »

Alright so I took the plunge and switched over to nvidia cards. I soon will upgrade from a 8800gt that was given to me to the gt120 32bit. I'm running a evga GTX 760 that I picked up for 130 bucks new. The only issue I'm running into is that it's kernel panicking when I try too boot into lion. I know the 760 won't function on 10.7 but since I'm using tiamos method I will need to be able to get back into lion. Is there anway to get Boot short of removing gtx 760 each time I need to boot lion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: