netkas.org forum
July 23, 2019, 05:28:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTAL NEWB wanting to flash XFX 5870 or exchange for 6870  (Read 13299 times)
afterworks

« on: May 05, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »

Guys,

I'm going to apologise in advance for going over what looks like you've advised many people how to do!!

Basically I've just got an XFX 5870      HD-587X-ZNFC

I've tried going through all the guides etc to get my head round all this but to be honest, it's abit out of my depth! Plus some of the guides are out of date, with some things not needing to be done etc so I'm royally confused!!!

I've got Zeus, downloaded 587XF18 rom, do I just need to plug in my new card, click on the flash tab in Zeus, find the rom then click Flash ATI?

Bit confused with the EFI part etc?

Have also now read that newer ATI 6870 cards work without being flashed etc...am starting to think maybe I should just send my card back and exchange it for the 6870?

I basically just want to play games on Windows 7, and be able to run multiple screens on OS X.

I could just keep my stock ATI 2600 in aswell for OS X and use the 6870 for Windows though yeah?

Any thoughts, whether I should swap the card or if someone wouldn't mind guiding me through this would be immense.

Thanks

afterworks

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »

Oh and I have a Mac Pro 2.8 Quad, ver 3.1 running SL 10.6.6

thanks
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »

RESEARCH

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
alienallan

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »

im a newb...  total newb.. Huh..all the info you need is already written in threads all over this forum.
Think(!), your in a place where other people, have actually already done ALL the work for you  Wink and spent countless days/weeks/months doing so.....EVEN I managed to flash more than 4 x 5870´s for work friends following the guides in here. If you´ve gotten as far as finding these forums, then youll find these guides....hell, i´ll even link you to them:

for card flashing heres the starter pages      http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,322.0.html   and surprisingly its ACTUALLY the Start page of the forums....wow.

and if you wanna go the "easy" route gofor the 6870 (hell im running 2 for the sole purpose of being a snob at work, because i could get 2 for less than apples 5870...and i farking love crysis2 in windoz) (bearing in mind that apple could go and "make it Not so" for some stoopid reason in the future, in which case you might find yourself having to flash the card anyhow then.) .....then....heres a nice link for that:¨

......actually No! .....you can well find that one for yourself ....

Good advice, quoted from a cool dude in this forum somewhere:  " top right corner  search "

To conclude, my advice to you, would be get a 6870, download the drivers (unless yer running lion) & enjoy & if you come back whining that the boot screen doesnt work & steam wont load in osx.... like ive done, thatll only prove you Still havent done any research.

Regards....from the other newb  Smiley

(edited the usual trillion times, within 3 minutes, for the usual ignorant sentence structure)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:02:52 PM by alienallan » Logged

...if EVEN I can do it, probably friggin so can you ... http://bit.ly/x0Ezs4
afterworks

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »

Ok ok!!!

Look I'm not being a total muppet, I have searched plenty of times to do with flashing etc, it's just theres an absolute minefield of older info so it's just a bit hard to know which route to take. I'm also very weary of doing something that'll fry the graphics card. As I don't really understand the processes that need to be done, as in I've never messed around with BIOS, ROM etc etc.

I cant seem to figure out whether the Zeus tool does everything thats needed to do or not.

I appreciate a lot of the info is out there but I'm struggling to get a grip of it all, and asking questions doesnt seem to be getting me anywhere either!

Look, all I want to do is play Crysis 2 with a bigger resolution than 1024 * 768 !!

I think I'll either just use the 5870 in Windows and leave my 2600 in, or get the 6870.

That is unless I can find anyone close to Manchester in the UK that can do it for me!!

alienallan

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »

nononono dont get me wrong...i was trying to tell you im a newb too & its all in here if u read read read.

Flashing for guys like u n me, that start from total complete "what the hell does flashing even mean?" status, can only manage to grasp the works, by doing exactly the above....Research= reading reading reading.

So, another thing i was trying to say was : " in conclusion , from a newbie to another newbie, i strongly advise the 6870 (as close to reference as possible) because its fairly close to plug&play (well as close as it gets for non apple cards i dare rekon).

Then(!), after getting aquainted with that, and if you have to flash in the future, youll be more informed and comfortable doing so, since by then you will have read read read.

You asked ...as i do ALOT....so with all due fairness; my answer to your question:

Have also now read that newer ATI 6870 cards work without being flashed etc...am starting to think maybe I should just send my card back and exchange it for the 6870?

is : Yes .....(edit:  ... for now)

imho
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:35:58 PM by alienallan » Logged

alienallan

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »

WOAH WAIT !  re-reading i noticed you wrote 10.6.6  

the 6870 didnt work for me until 10.6.7.+drivers

--->(edit (because i cant live without edits) : hoping not to offend anyone linking this, heres some info :  http://www.groths.org/?p=297
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:56:22 PM by alienallan » Logged

Rominator

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »

Oskar didn't mention where he got his info...but I'm willing to bet $20 it came from these very pages. I doubt very much that he has a 6870. In fact, I seem to recall that he sold his Mac Pro when he went to school last fall and is posting from a MacBook of some sort.

What does Excell call it when a formula has one cell pointing to another cell that points to the first one? A circular somethingorother I think. In any case, there is no information there that isn't here. He just posted a pretty picture.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
alienallan

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »

aHa! seeee ... the truth always comes out. 
im not surprised though, most pages i stumble upon about better&non apple gpus used in osx, point back to here at some point anyhow.

i think my brother "planter" even made a donation for that post...prolly something insignificantly small in anycase... but it should have been made here.

oh well, "china" isnt a new concept to anyone anymore.

jeanlain

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »

To be honest, info about flashing is dispatched in many threads/forums. The stickies here aren't so helpful, as for instance, creating "USB DOS stick" (as suggest in "how to flash a card" on the ROM things section) doesn't work on Macs.
Then the linked macrumors guide uses a PC to flash a card, and doesn't explain how this can be done on a Mac Pro. It also doesn't explain how to make a custom ROM, which should be the preferred method. 
I'd be happy to modify my tutorial about ROM editing, so as to make it a complete guide for flashing (just need to add a couple of DOS and ATIFlash command), but it hasn't been made a stickies, despite the requests…  Undecided
Rominator

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »

Flashing a 5xxx series card may be dispersed on many threads. And many of those may not acknowledge where the info actually came from.

But the info came from here.

If Netkas hadn't figured out how to "fix" the EFI we would all still be Starcrafting on 4870s. He doesn't have a real Mac Pro so I did all of the original testing. Once we got it working, the roms were posted here for all to use.

To imply that any of the other forums might have useful info is a bit like hoping that you might understand Obama better by having some schmoe off the street explain his thoughts to you. A middleman who has no additional knowledge can add nothing you couldn't figure out yourself with the same facts in front of you.

The facts are here. The ROMs came from here, and all of the original success stories are here. Other folks seem to love to try to rub that scent of discovery on themselves but the fact of the matter is that ALL 5xxx series progress came from this site. If you like having your dinner regurgitated into your mouth, then reading the Netkas.org info reposted on another site will be perfect for you.

No, this isn't the place for pretty color pictures and lead-you-by-the-hand Step-by-step how-tos. But in all honesty, someone who can't tell DOS from OSX and can't be bothered to help us help them by simply typing the correct names of things into their posts SHOULDN'T BE FLASHING CARDS TO BEGIN WITH.

At some point you have to realize that dumbing things down any more doesn't really help. That is why there isn't a "Brain Surgery for Pre-Schoolers" book over at a (soon to be closing) Barnes & Noble.

Some things really should be left for the grown ups.

I have tried these ROMs on many different cards.

The BULK of them run fine with SAPUKARI for 5870 and m57702 for 5770. ( Some cards DON'T HAVE SPACE for Mac EFI, like the XFX ZNF9 5870, how I found that SAPUKARI was best for it in first place)

People should dump their ROM, for sure.

The new MBP and iMac extensions make this as easy as running IOReg and copy and pasting into Hexedit. Or use DOS, has been explained 20 times.

Then they should try one of the 2 roms I just listed. If they aren't happy with that, then they should try writing a custom one.

Cindori did a great thing when he got Zeus to sew 4870 ROMs. Sadly, it only works for certain lengths. (nothing over 80 IIRC) If someone wants to be truly helpful, team up with Cindori and add 5770 and 5870 sewing to Zeus. And fix the length problems he has with it on 4870s. Jeanlain would be ideal candidate for this, as he knows what needs to be done. Then, instead of 20 step tutorials that get screwed up regularly, you would have an app that works every time. Everyone could have the best possible ROM for their card. And you could devote your time to writing a tutorial on DOS flashing.

afterworks

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:24:44 AM »

Well looks like I cant exchange my card for a 6780.

So gonna have to flash the 5870!! Luckily I have found a step by step guide which has made everything sync in my head a bit better!!

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/978894-pc-ati-57705870-cards-flashed-to-work-with-mac-pro/

Gonna give this a go at some point soon.

Right now I'm just enjoying Crysis 2, maxed out. Awesome.
Rominator

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:52:58 AM »

Now THOSE are some pretty color pics !!!

Seems pretty well explained.

OK, done.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: