netkas.org forum
July 18, 2019, 02:30:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brainfarting  (Read 24773 times)
andystubbs

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28:43 PM »

You could try removing the heatsink and fan from the 8800, popping it in the oven and baking the card (no really I'm not kidding!).

Google it you will be amazed at what you find!

Obviously do it at your own risk - I have never tried it, never had to and hopefully never will - nor do I recommend it but hey the cards already dead right? lol
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:30:15 PM by andystubbs » Logged
alienallan

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 03:01:54 AM »

wow, your not kidding! theres a LOAD of posts & even videos on the 8800nvidia Repair Recipe... just when you thought youve seen them all ...

ofc im going to try this...even if just to laugh at how gullable ive been to waiste my time doing it.

ill report back when its cooked.

edits: always editing for mispells
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:04:19 AM by alienallan » Logged

...if EVEN I can do it, probably friggin so can you ... http://bit.ly/x0Ezs4
Rominator

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »

9 minutes at 425 F usually does it

hold your breath when pulling out of oven

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
alienallan

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »

You Sirs...ROCK!

Thankyouthankyou Thank You! Great info you guys passed over.

So; i disassembled the board in 2 parts, heated the oven to 140C´ and put the board in the oven for 10 minutes..Exactly as described. Then reassembled it, actually put it all back in the oven for 60 seconds more fully assembled, pulled it out (didnt breathe Wink ) stuck it in the MP (cooled down ofc) and turned it on (still not breathing by then lol) to see:  the boot screen loading !

IT WORKED!  This cooking recipe has so far allowed me to update this MacPro from 10.6 to current, download the ati drivers & other nvidia drivers (ya never know) and lastly turn on all the screen sharing/ssh options to access it in case of failure before we get the new card in 3 days. Hell im posting on it now also. This leads me to consider paying the 99bux for lion developer & installing that, which from what i understand should give some extra bling with card compatibilities  

again...Thank You .. i feel confident the 6870 she ordered will work unflashed as peeps are stating it does now that 10.6.7 is on it... ofc ill keep posting how that goes (unless you beg me to stop lol).  
In the meantime im very pleased with how my 5870 is running so thanx for that also.

...this rox...this truly rox
ive taken pix of everything if theyre wanted

edit : I Have to ask yet another ! ... On the boot screen theres now a "loading bar" under the logo..the loading time is approximatly 5 minutes...ive restarted a few times and its still the same.  Any clues?

((and dammit..where do we donate?))
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:36:16 PM by alienallan » Logged

andystubbs

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »

Awesome - good job!

I've seen that bar a few times - I think its either checking the disk or rebuilding the caches. Run a disk repair followed by a permissions repair when you next boot and see if it finds anything.
MachineShedFred

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »

The "progress bar" under the grey Apple logo is usually related to an EFI update.  If, during your Software Update marathon it grabbed new firmware for your Mac, it will have dropped it into the ~100MB EFI system partition on your hard disk, and installs on next boot via the EFI pre-OS execution environment.
alienallan

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »

everything you said makes sense, and ill go through the maintenance steps n see what that improves.

in the meantime ive cooked my old burned 8800 and my brothers. (as mentioned, all our cards burned out in the same month..still weird).
1 out of 2 works. The other is now officially "r.i.p" and trashed .
Ive re-pasted the chip & ill be mounting it in slot 2 for kicks. Also just to see how long it lives on, or hell even to see, if its even possible to run a flashed 5870 next to a stock 8800.

Since ive joined this forum, 3 people have gone from: "non-functioning mac pros" to "better-than-apple-upgraded mac pros". All our issues and problems have been resolved, and even better , this is Farking Fun!

Much Respekts ..  l friggin luv this forum..... you wont be getting rid of me very easyly.

alienallan

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »

alright, so after a load of disk repairs, turns out a disk was corrupted. I backed up every file and the entire system. Replaced the bad drive and now we´re off to a clean install. Was about time in anycase, this mp was still running the original install (updated ofc) from 2008.

Anyhow, i know this isnt much a grafics question, but im sitting here pondering installing the OS on disk utilities software raid1+0 on the 4x500gig internal drives available.  (I know, not as fast as a hardware raid, but still more snappy than a single drive im supposing). Then using a nas drive for time machine and a SSD installed in the second dvd bay for windows.

The raid 10 seems really appealing, as istat mostly shows its the drives that are the slowest side of things. Though a solo raid 0, backed-up only by timemachine scares me...hence the attraction to 1+0 ofc.  

Before i do this, i figure ask : Is there anyone that through experience, would advise against/for this drive configuration for any apparent important reason? Maybe being that it creates incompatibilities i´m unaware of? parallels or sumfin.

been googling the topic for a dayofage, but id love to hear quick opinions from you lot.

Edit :  You know, nvm (unless someone has first hand knowledge to state: " dont waiste yer time with a software raid 0 allan, its worthless") ..then; after coffee, i figure the purpose of foruming, is sharing various tests you perform. So what the heck : Im installing osx on a raid 0 and another copy on a single disk. Then windows on the 4th disk. Every disk is the stock apple 500gig. Adding a 8800, 6870 & if wished i could pick up another model within price range.Then Benchmark everything in the various setups....and for a change, be a dude. actually posting some results.

Would any of this be interesting to anyone? ... or maybe its just waisting my time on old news.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:51:23 PM by alienallan » Logged

alienallan

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 12:40:32 AM »

So:   Ive got OSX installed on a raid0 & on a single drive...&  win7x64 in bay 4. (mac pro 2008 2.8Quad 12gig)

i have a 6870(toxic); a "refurbishedly cooked" 8800 & a 5870(vortex) (available on bros mac with the same setup).

im willing to buy another card (ofc not overpriced new-top-end, but good card) if wished.

Ill bench and test whatever and anything of interest.

If i´m of service, feel free to order me to download app/program X and post any kind of benchmarks that could be of interest.

In other words if u can use me, let me know.

(edited for(other than being a foreign english grammar moron):   p.s. no no im running samsung dvi monitors, not apple leds unfortunatly)

al.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:45:04 AM by alienallan » Logged

alienallan

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »

totally off every topic in the world,  ...but   ...considering theres ALOT of hits of newbies like me, wanting a better card for theyre box and end up going for the "flash a card option", but getting lost with 5870´s and other cards (simply because we all think we´re computer pros & deserve a whipping here n there)

...would it be an insensitive an unwise thing; to make a "Newbies Look Here" post , that simply states: " buy a 6870 close to stock"

i mean for some reason...it works.

dunno might save peeps a bank-load of time, since i notice you guys are answering the same questions over n over again.

atleast to me...its seeming That stable ...for now ofc (the famous for now)

im asking, cuz once again , better ask than advise wrong.

Rominator

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

I have a friend who spoke with an ATI engineer for Mac.

He claims the current level of function is an accident, and they are as surprised as anyone.

To encourage people to run oput and buy a card that might very well not work in 10.6.8 or the Golden Master of Lion would be irresponsible.

Look at the 4890 debacle. Look at the 50% or so of 4870s that worked great in 10.6.3 but have been partially buggered ever since.

If the 6870 gets released with an EFI ROM attached, then we can say "Do It'

But if we encourage people to get 6870s and then they get borked with next OS update, we will spend every future OS update trying to help people keep their Macs running.

The cards work TODAY is the best we can say. Tomorrow they may very well stop working.

Historically, the cards that work best in Macs have been the "Reference" designs, they are most similar to the ones that Apple releases. If you look at the 4870 as an example, the reference 512 Meg 4870 cards have never had any flashing trouble. They have worked since 10.5.7 and run DUal displays. They have never needed a patch, hack, or "fix" other than the initial flash. The later 1 Gig 4870s and 4890s have been a different story.

I have steered people away from 4890 from Day 1 for this very reason.

There is likely a 6850 or 6870 in next Mac Pro. When that EFI ROM comes out and card is guaranteed to be in drivers from that point on, then I will encourage people to buy one. Until then it is a crapshoot.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
alienallan

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 08:33:49 PM »

thank you Rominator,

i think thats exactly what alot of people (including myself ofc) needed to get clear-vision on & exactly why at this point, i couldnt resist asking.

respects

doof
Not Newbie

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »

I have a friend who spoke with an ATI engineer for Mac.

He claims the current level of function is an accident, and they are as surprised as anyone.

Hard to believe that it just accidentally works, but I guess thats as good an explanation as any. No reason to intentionally break it though if it just works, on the other hand no reason to maintain this functionality either from apple's POV. Time will tell.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »

need a memory dumper to get memory of this framebuffer to dump proper connection table

lastExile
Global Moderator
Not Newbie

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »

nice Cheesy

Report all spam and i will take care of it
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: