netkas.org forum
September 26, 2018, 12:46:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change DMI/SMBIOS information  (Read 7659 times)
maestro

« on: January 01, 2008, 11:22:31 AM »

There are some kexts which only load depending on the model name found in the second line of ioreg (e.g., ADP2,1 or MacBook1,1).

Prior to PC_EFI, the model name was hardcoded to the value "ADP2,1" or "ACPI".

PC_EFI now reads the actual model name from the DMI/SMBIOS area of the motherboard.
Problem is that some manufacturers put crap there, (special characters, including whitespaces), which makes it impossible for some kexts (e.g., IOPCCardFamily) to match and leads to all sorts of strange behavior on the affected machines.

netkas please make an option to override the DMI/SMBIOS strings that are coming from the motherboard (e.g., similar to what you did for the GFX strings).

(Btw, AppleSMBIOS.kext does NOT affect ioreg's output, so it is not sufficient to edit the kext, it needs to be done in the bootloader.)
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:06:09 AM »

use dos and dmicfg.exe

if u set all right u can use stock smbios without problems then.
maestro

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »

Yes this would theoretically work. But I have a machine here which I cannot BIOS-modify in any way because it's my school's (likely the admin would hunt me down the same day). So it would be great if we could do this software-wise. Maybe it would even help to hardcode a common string (e.g., "Generic1,1") for everyone so that kexts can be more easily shared without custom editing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: