netkas.org forum
October 20, 2019, 11:24:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you convert IOreg dumps into an efi string  (Read 10580 times)
BladeRunner
Not Newbie

« on: December 30, 2007, 04:46:40 AM »

Update:Changed the subject from a statement to a question Sad

I have a 3D Fusion GFX 5500 graphics card that works quite well by just adding NVinject.kext to my system. 

I would like to experiment with adding the efi string to com.apple.Boot.plist.   However, I don't want to keep bugging Thrawnhex or others about generating the string for me to use. My system is installed on a GPT partitioned disk and I have pc_efi_v8 installed. 

The system was installed from a retail OS X Leopard image I restored to an external USB drive. I run the Darwin 9.1.0 kernal and the following patched kexts - dsmos.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext, AppleUSBAudio.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, NVinject.kext. The remainder of the system is stock.

If someone could point me to some instructions on how the IOreg tree dump is converted into the hex string I would like to try making a functioning string for this GeForce 5500 PCI card. If I can get it to work I will contribute the string and what I did to make it work.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:31:49 PM by BladeRunner » Logged

Hacintosh:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz [SSE3/PAE/HTT]
Codename: Prescott Package: Socket 478 mPGA
RAM: 2.0GB Disk: 307.36GB/1.13TB
Display: GeForce FX 5500 [256 MB/QE/Stock] 1600x1200@60Hz
Build: i386 Build Date: Tue Feb 26 21:21:24 SCT 2008
AlainTox
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 06:51:53 PM »

from Thrawnhex

Type the following:

sudo ioreg -l -w0 -p IODeviceTree | grep device-prop > ~/Desktop/gfx.txt

This will dump your card details on your desktop in a file called "gfx.txt"

if your dump only contains this and it will certainly did:

| |  "device-properties" = {"acpi-path"="IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0","acpi-device"="IOACPIPlatformDevice is not serializable"}

you will have to look around to find a gfx string that match your card, otherwise if you can get a mac with the same graphic card and repeat ioreg dump, this time you will get a gfx string and will  only have to copy/past this string in com.apple.Boot.plist.

read around in forum there is some tools and the way to modify a gfx string is well explained.

hope this help.

BladeRunner
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:10:19 PM »

I am not sure I asked the question correctly - or, I didn't understand your answer Sad

I understand how to take and save the ioreg device tree dump. I have the latest copy of the gfxutil program and have used it to convert hex to xml and back. I followed the instructions about how to insert the device-properties string into com.apple.Boot.plist. I did this with a string that Thrawnhex created for me, but it didn't work.

What I was looking for is information that identifies the correct parts of the device tree and how to use them to create my own hex string. On my system there is no section of the device tree that contains "device-prop" either with or without the NVinject.kext.

Hacintosh:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz [SSE3/PAE/HTT]
Codename: Prescott Package: Socket 478 mPGA
RAM: 2.0GB Disk: 307.36GB/1.13TB
Display: GeForce FX 5500 [256 MB/QE/Stock] 1600x1200@60Hz
Build: i386 Build Date: Tue Feb 26 21:21:24 SCT 2008
ardf69

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:14:49 AM »

I think this could be a good start point: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,9.msg721.html#msg721
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: