netkas.org forum
October 14, 2019, 12:26:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 280x flashed with EFI  (Read 315674 times)
wax2012
Not Newbie

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »

Hello netkas.org !

I've been having trouble creating a rom for my new Gigabyte R9 280X (GV-R928XOC-3GD (rev. 2.0)) with my Mac Pro 5,1. I've been reading many threads here, but this is my first time flashing a graphics card so if I ask some really dumb question or made a stupid mistake don't hesitate to blast me, but I have done other hacks on my macs over the years so I'm not totally lost. I'd be grateful for any help you can give me.

I first installed the card with power and it ran fine in Mac OS 10.9.2 and Windows 7 without boot screens. Ran a few benchmarks and it responded as expected (pretty friggin' fast, great OpenCL performance).

I correctly extracted and backed up the card's original rom (r9280x.rom) via ATIWinFlash 2.6.7 from Bootcamp.

I can see that the EFI part starts at offset 65536 in Hex Fiend, but I don't get how the "padding" (correct word?) works at the end of the ROM file, so I thought it best to stick to Netkas' script.

Before getting the R9 card I had tested the script with ROM files from the web and had errors, so I started from a fresh bundle and the r9280x.rom from my actual card. No errors this time.

This gave me r9280x.rom.efi.rom.

I then tried flashing this file to the R9 card using ATIWinFlash in Bootcamp. It needed to run in admin mode, I did that, it went through it's thing then displayed:

I hit Start menu, restart, then Windows was blocked on the "Shutting Down" screen (waited over 15 minutes).

I hard reset the Mac Pro and the card was outputting only light grey screen, no Apple logo or anything. Mac Pro was accessible through file and screen sharing. Thinking maybe ATIWinFlash screwed up, I created a new ROM with the Netkas script (r9mac.rom), and went the FreeDOS route and a Nvidia GT 610 for video.

First I extracted the bad ROM for reference (r9bad.rom) and flashed the new r9mac.rom to the card:

Rebooted the Mac Pro. The card displays correctly again, but still no boot screens !

What am I screwing up ? Sad

* r9280x.rom (128 KB - downloaded 568 times.)
* r9280x.rom.efi.rom (128 KB - downloaded 649 times.)
* R9BAD.ROM (128 KB - downloaded 535 times.)
* r9mac.rom (128 KB - downloaded 638 times.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:35:47 AM by wax2012 » Logged
3mvideo
Not Newbie

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2014, 10:15:21 PM »

Hi wax2012!
I have the same card (Gigabyte R9 280X (GV-R928XOC-3GD (rev. 2.0))) and Mac Pro 5,1. card has two BIOS. One flashed (unsuccessfully), I use the second (Original bios). all is well, but without the loading screen!((
If you can make a good .ROM, share with me! I will be very grateful! thanks in advance ....)
Satrap
Not Newbie

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2014, 10:49:34 PM »

@ 3mvideo & wax2012

check your PM (messages). I sent you something.
I flashed 4 of those Gigabyte Rev 2.0 cards for myself and my buddies. Everything (bootscreen, miniDP etc) is working fine so far.
wax2012
Not Newbie

« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »

Big thanks to Satrap for helping me out, his ROM works great, boot screen and all. Only tried one DVI and one MDP but both worked fine.

OS 10.9 defaults to 2560x1440 resolution, even in the recovery partition, but setting the system pref to "scaled" then 1920x1080 fixes that.

Ran a few benchmarks and only disappointment was Da Vinci but I was using 4K ProRes 4444 footage at 60fps so that was probably bottle necking my storage. I'll try it again with 2K stuff some other time.

Interestingly I tried booting to OS 10.7.5 and it sort of worked. Only the DVI port worked, and FCP 7 refused to launch saying I had less than 256 MB VRAM installed and no Quartz Extreme, but I had video out.
3mvideo
Not Newbie

« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2014, 02:04:32 PM »

Спасибо Satrap за помощь!!! ром рабочий!))
-----
Satrap Thanks for the help! rum work!))
Rominator

« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

Avoid XFX R9 280X

I can verify that 2 separate cards like this have BIOS which is incompatible with OSX.

Stick with another brand

Probably best to find cards with Dual MDP instead of newer ones with single DP

If you want HDMI working, you need to use Reference 7950/70 and/or try different frame buffers.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fangio
Not Newbie

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »

I flashed 4 of those Gigabyte Rev 2.0 cards for myself and my buddies. Everything (bootscreen, miniDP etc) is working fine so far.

This. Still the best choice by now imho. Swapped my Sapphire HD7970 for a Gigabyte R9 280X. The card is properly recognized, HDMI is working as well.

Mine is the BF4 LE, basically the same as stock Rev. 2.0. Definitely a nice upgrade here in 10.9.3 / 13D65

[attachment deleted by admin]

* OpenCL-Luxmark Sala.png (228.68 KB, 1054x791 - viewed 1278 times.)

* OpenGL-Unigine Valley Extreme HD.png (79.73 KB, 533x499 - viewed 1281 times.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:40:01 AM by Fangio » Logged
karterilla

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2014, 09:48:26 PM »

I've flashed a Sapphire Toxic R9 280X (http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2023&psn=&lid=1&leg=0) on a Mac Pro 4.1 early 2009 running 10.9.3.
The board has 2 DVI ports, 2 MDP and one HDMI.
I was unable to test both MDP working together or both DVI working at the same time, neither the HDMI since I do not have cables or displays to connect to.

I'm not really sure if everything it is working OK: for sure the upper DVI port it is not working at all in any test I've made, while the first MDP (whit a 27" LED Cinema Display connected) and the lower DVI port (with a 24" Cinema HD display connected) are working OK.
At boot I do have only the MDP port working while the DVI comes up after user login: I really do not know if this is bad or if it is OK... i.e. if I've correctly flashed the GPU!
On the original apple board both the 2 displays did come on...

Here some benchmarks. Seems OK besides OpenCL_OceanWave_Bandwidth_V161: is this bad?
On heavy load (Valley and LuxMark) the fans slowly increase the speed but it is still acceptable.

I've attached the modified rom if someone want to to give it a try. But I cannot assure it is really working.
Anyway I'm happy compared to very old original apple board I've used until now: it is like jumping to another universe

Thanks to all the people here for the help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* System Info.png (148.85 KB, 1030x849 - viewed 1646 times.)

* Valley.png (73.91 KB, 628x665 - viewed 1260 times.)

* OpenCL_OceanWave_Bandwidth_V161.jpg (231.21 KB, 828x657 - viewed 1165 times.)
* Sapphire Toxic R9 280X UEFI.rom (128 KB - downloaded 743 times.)
wyre

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2014, 01:04:31 AM »

I can open both Premier and After Effects CS6 versions, I don't have any projects to really put them to the test but they launch fine no errors.
I have a flashed XFX R9 280x double D black addition. I do have other issues with games blacking out and the computer locks up after a few minutes and slow frame rates in heaven / valley. i bought a PSU because I think
think the card with its pre set overclocking may suck too much power when it goes into game mode. If I pre ramp my fan speeds up on the card then the card is stable in 10.9.2 still finky in 10.8.5 but frame rates are still slower than they should be compared to others. It also blacks out in Windows unless fans a pre ramped up to 2000rpm, I tried the Adobe apps out on 10.8.5 have not tried them in 10.9.2

I too have an XFX R9 280x double D however I have no idea how to flash the graphics card. Could you point me in the right direction or send me a copy of your rom that you used to get yours working?
wax2012
Not Newbie

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »

Here some benchmarks. Seems OK besides OpenCL_OceanWave_Bandwidth_V161: is this bad?

That test is locked to your screen's refresh rate unless you unlock it using Quartz Debug from the Apple developer tools.
Xanix
Not Newbie

« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »

Hi Rominator and Blacksheep (and the rest of the gang online here),

Okay – I went back and spent a few hours studying the posts on the forum, and I think I'm ready to go. However, I want to check back with you guys before proceeding.

Requested Info:

Card: MSI R9-280x 3GB GAMING
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9_280X_GAMING_3G.html#overview
Mac: Genuine 2009 MacPro 4,1 with the 5,1 firmware upgrade
BIOS #: 015.042.000.003
OS: OSX v10.9.1 (10.9.2 was loop of death with dual 27” Apple Cinema Displays)
Pins: One 6-6 mini PCIe, One 6-6 mini PCIe with the 6-8 pin adapter; connected directly to motherboard. Runs fine unflashed in 10.9.1.
Displays: Two 27” Apple Cinema Displays, connected to both MDP on card.

1) Today, I set up BootCamp on my Mac on a separate drive, running Windows 8.1.  Downloaded and installed GPU-Z to dump the ROM, which was listed as “Tahiti.rom”.  Apparently, it’s the latest version for MSI, so I’m not updating it before adding the EFI.  Also installed ATI_Winflash, for when I’m ready to go.

2) Back on the Mac-side of things, I made sure to install Java and Python.  The flashing folder is at my root directory, and is ready for the script. Apparently, my device id is 6798. 

3) I have also installed HexEdit.  Which file will I edit to change the parameters for it to have it correctly show up in my system preferences? (R9-280x? 7970?) Do I use HexEdit to edit my original ROM?  If so, there was no 79xx string to change, from what I could see.

3) **** Here’s the kicker:  I spent quite a bit of time on the forum to try and find the correct EFI file for the 7970. I have the “7950mac.efi” file, but couldn’t find it’s 7970 counterpart.  The only thing I could find was “MAC7970.ROM”, which I finally found...but I doubt it’s the correct file; I’m guessing I need “7970mac.efi”. (Maybe there could be a sticky somewhere for people to find the correct files?)

4) After running the script, I will go back to Windows and run ATI_Winflash with the new file and will reboot (keeping my fingers crossed).

5) I’m fully aware about removing R17 for PCI 2.0 on the original 7950 and 7970 cards...Does this also apply for the R9-280x?  Attached is a photo of the backside...I’ve drawn a red rectangle around R17...which runs right through R18. If this correct, I’m assuming that using a low-powered soldering iron and touching the surface-mounted resistor back-and-forth should allow for easy extraction, correct?  Definitely want to double-check on this one as this didn’t seem clear in the forums for the R9-280x.

Again, I hope I’ve been diligent in doing my homework but I figure it can’t hurt to “measure twice and cut once” before proceeding.  Given that I’m using my Mac for daily work stuff, I want to make triple-sure things go smoothly before proceeding.

Many thanks to all you guys for all your help...especially netkas, rominator and blacksheep.  Cheers!

Hello to all. I've a Mac Pro from 2010. After some research in the forum, I've opted for the same card; the MSI 280X.
I've already tried to build the rom and flash the card. I was unable to do it and currently, the card is unusable!
I wanted to ask if some member that have the same card, could share a (.rom) and a (.md5) of it so, I can "reflash" and use the graphic card?
Any help would be really apreciated!

Kind regards,
Xanix

NetkasNoob

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »

Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 running under os X 10.8.4 and my graphic card just died :-/
I need a new graphic card with 2 DVI outputs AND boot screen

I've tested 2 different 7850 and one 7950 and had the same results.
The 3 cards where recognized using the KEXT I found on the forum and both screens running fine.
I flashed the cards successfully, had the boot screen but one of the DVI output wasn't working anymore…

After having read this thread, people are experiencing more success with a 280X.
I'm in for trying to flash this one. Just in order to be clear, I can do it with the same rom made for the radeon 7XXX ?

Thx in advance and of course will keep you posted as far as the flashing goes…
Rominator

« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2014, 08:04:04 AM »

Have a look at Mac 7950, that is the layout that ROM and driver and frame buffer is set up for.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
kennyman
Not Newbie

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »

I have read this forum and have not found the info I am looking for. I am in process of acquiring 2 x cheap HIS 280X 3GB, it would be installed on a 2 separate 2012 Single CPU Mac Pro. I am just curious, as to whether someone is using this card currently. Could you please share your thoughts?

Thx
blacksheep

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »

Kenny, if they're cheap just grab them. Do not count on HDMI, though.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: