netkas.org forum
November 19, 2017, 04:02:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 280x flashed with EFI  (Read 158511 times)
goodfidelity

« Reply #210 on: December 12, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »

ROM is EBC, it works on either.

Just sew your BIOS onto that working EFI, will be as good as it gets.

I did download the ROM from my card, another very helpful user put togheter for me a new ROM. I uploaded it to the card and it shows up and identifies properly but no boot screen. I dont know why. I am using the DisplayPort for my screen.

I dont have the tools or skills to do all this myself. And there is one million posts on several boards about this same issue. However there is no place where all the builds of the ROMs are actually collected, listed and made downloadable. It seems people keep on reinventing the wheel over and over again by spending hours to get this ROMs together. Downloading multiple programs in doing so. When all that should be needed is the correct ROM for the card and ATIWINFLASH.

Is there any place where i can just specify my kind of card (version of card), and download a working ROM? Or any post on this board where ROMs are collected?

If not so, is there a reason why this is not possible or is it just due to lack of interest from users to collect the ROMs in one single thread / post and make it really easy for newbies/noobs to just DL and flash? I am pretty sure it would save hours and hours of work, and all the people that actually does know how to do it would have less questions to answer over and over again.

best regards
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:44:47 AM by goodfidelity » Logged
Fl0r!an

« Reply #211 on: December 12, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »

This would a lot of work due to the countless number of different vendors, hardware revisions and BIOS revisions.
It's far easier the way it is, netkas' script will do all the work, no tools or skills needed.

Do you use a DP1.2 screen? I guess your card just doesn't like to give 4K boot screens...
goodfidelity

« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2015, 04:20:51 AM »

This would a lot of work due to the countless number of different vendors, hardware revisions and BIOS revisions.
It's far easier the way it is, netkas' script will do all the work, no tools or skills needed.

Do you use a DP1.2 screen? I guess your card just doesn't like to give 4K boot screens...

You have a pretty good point there about the 4K boot screen, so i did remove the DP1.2 feature and try in HDMI. No success.

I used the BIOS from switchmode 1, that is towards the power cables on the card. I dont know if this was the correct BIOS to use but there was no complaints from the guy who helped me build the EFI ROM.

My card runs fine with all features working, i am connecting VGA, HDMI, DP to the same monitor and running PiP and it is very cool. Only thing missing is that bloody bootscreen. I dont know how to get it.

Is it possible that the boot screen is only showing on DVI (VGA) port? I tried Displayport and HDMI and none are working.

Would be nice if anyone had the same card and could just send a ROM that is verified working.

R9 280X 3072 MB
WindForce OC

This is some info about my card:
113-C3865000-X01 = Board ID
015.038.000.003.003435 = Original BIOS
0xF800 = Image size
0x3C00 = CRC

SN134601080607 = Serial# on the card itself

The card has dual miniDP, DVI and HDMI.
goodfidelity

« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2015, 04:17:47 AM »

Ok!

Now i found one solution, booting from DVI-VGA adapter will give bootscreen!

This solution is good enough, but not perfect. It will help out every time that i need to swap between Windows/OSX.

Really good thing you mentioned this, because i would never have found out otherwise.

Do you think there is any way to make bootscreen from MDP or HDMI also?

best regards
GF
Rominator

« Reply #214 on: December 22, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »

Where were the R17 resistor mods on back? In nice even rows or staggered?

Staggered ones don't have working HDMI without other mods.

BTW, for many purposes HDMI = DVI. The passive adapters from one to the other are just rerouting same wires.

So a DVI to HDMI adapter might give you that.

You will never get a DP 1.2 boot screen from these cards.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
goodfidelity

« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »

Where were the R17 resistor mods on back? In nice even rows or staggered?

Staggered ones don't have working HDMI without other mods.

BTW, for many purposes HDMI = DVI. The passive adapters from one to the other are just rerouting same wires.

So a DVI to HDMI adapter might give you that.

You will never get a DP 1.2 boot screen from these cards.

Actually i didnt check the R17 resistor, because i have MacPRO 1.1 and cant get the high transfer rates anyways. But i tried the DVI-VGA and that works, also i tried the HDMI port and it works, also i tried both mDP ports and they work.

So it seems all my ports are working!

However, i hought a DVI->mDP and that one is not working at all. Seems to be some problems translating from DVI to mDP.

Seems to be a better solution like you say, to use DVI and HDMI adapter to get bootscreen. But i will not need the bootscreen except for special occations, so i can live with having it on the VGA.

Since my monitor is 4K i will never experience bootscreen anyways.

This basically means my card was Ok from the first flash all the time, but because i was running 4K mDP i was thinking it was not working and spent tens of hours looking for the answer.. Anyhow, i am happy now. I can reboot 10 times in a row just to see that bloody bootscreen Wink

Thanks guys!

//GF
Spacedust

« Reply #216 on: December 22, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »

However, i hought a DVI->mDP and that one is not working at all. Seems to be some problems translating from DVI to mDP.

Active or passive ?
goodfidelity

« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2015, 01:12:27 AM »

Active or passive ?

Passive, i gave it back to the shop. It was simply a cable with DVI on one connector, and mDP on the other.

My monitor has DP, mDP, dual HDMI and VGA inputs. Total 5 inputs.

Ideally i would like to be able to run either 4K, or have the possibility to use PiP / 4 screen to view four different inputs at the same time.
As the screen is 4K, and has 40" of real estate (Phillips monster) its actually quite nice to run four desktops from one computer since i can then run four apps in full screen mode at the same time.

Problem with this screen size is that meny is far left top, apps ar bottom, and when new windows pop up that could be anywhere on the 40" screen giving me allot of moving around the cursor. When splliting into 4 different areas i can keep menus and everything on one screen and run apps on the other screens.

I still didnt try to run fullscreen apps in OSX. Before the other screens all turned gray but maybe they fixed it in el capitain.

Can really recommend this monitor for people who need allot of space!

//GF
goodfidelity

« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »

Now i bought all the cables there are..

And the only boot screen i get is DVI-->VGA adapter and VGA cable, and also DVI-->DVI

I now have tried:
 DVI-->HDMI and no boot screen.
mDP-->DP no boot screen
HDMI-HDMI no boot screen
DP->DP no boot screen

DVI->VGA adapter and VGA cable Boot screen
DVI-DVI with no adapter there is ALSO BOOT SCREEN!

Why is the DVI-->HDMI not working??

My 40" monitor does not have DVI input. Only DP, HDMI and VGA.
VGA sucks, so i would like to use DVI. But DVI-->HDMI does not work.

I noticed that my DVI --> DVI cable is missing some pins in the middle (single link)
And the DVI-->HDMI does have all the pins in the DVI connector (dual link).

Will this be the source of the problem? I have now ordered some 5 different cables from ebay to get the bootscreen possibility, but non of them work. Strange enough i am experienceing HDMI port output problems when using the DVI-->HDMI cable.

And another strange thing is that the computer will not boot properly if i remove the DVI cable, it just needs to be plugged..

Anyone have some good ideas about these issues? Would be nice to know =)
Is there any solution to this or do i just have to accept this fact?

//GF

EDIT:

Just got this PM from another user, and i am updating the post with this info:

Did you ever solve your 40” monitor problem with your R9 280X ?

I’m running a flashed R9 270X and tried this and it worked  . .

Display Port Adaptor ( active ) to HDMI .. then HDMI to HDMI =  Boot screen

Hope this helps if you still have a problem.

/ ( SMIKX on Netkas).

Active or passive ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:12:41 AM by goodfidelity » Logged
cme

« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2016, 07:51:47 PM »

Hello I have a sapphire Dual-x I'm about to try to flash. I found another a 280x rom somewhere around here and tried it. It worked. So I'm fairly confident in my ability to flash it, but I've never "modded" a rom before.

Anyway this card has dual BIOSes. I downloaded both. Looked at them. I think I used the "regular" BIOS. Then cut and paste from the 280x ROM I found. So here's what I have. Would someone mind looking at it and making sure I did it correctly before I break something haha. The "LightOff" rom is the unmodded BIOS.And the MyRom is my modded Rom.

Thanks in advance. And if I did this correctly this really is super easy to do. Which means I probably messed something up. Haha.

* Tahiti(LightOff).rom (128 KB - downloaded 195 times.)
* MyRom.ROM (128 KB - downloaded 188 times.)
cme

« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2016, 09:25:49 PM »

So it didn't work.  Undecided

Can someone maybe look at them and see what I missed or did wrong? It works, I didn't brick it or anything. I just don't have a start-up screen. Back to black screen until I get to the desktop.

Thanks

Matt
Spacedust

« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »

I was able to get R9 280X DD from XFX working using Club3D rom.

Bootscreen works, fans are silent, performance is great, but card memory is reported incorrectly and Windows boots with BSOD.

Then checked the MSI rom for these specific Hynix memory modules, edited the clocks to match the XFX and now almost everything works but crashes on 3D apps.

So I made Sapphire ROM which works only with these Hynix modules and it does work well also in 3D Wink
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:20:59 PM by Spacedust » Logged
Shiggitay

« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2016, 04:04:18 PM »

Hey all.... From what I read of this thread it seems like the intent is to use the R9 280x on an actual Mac (Mac Pro), but if was to post my R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 ROM, would some one be able to flash and mod it to work on a Hackintosh?

Thanks in advance,
Shiggitay
Fl0r!an

« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2016, 09:37:26 AM »

There's no need to mod/flash anything on a Hackintosh.
Shiggitay

« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »

Well then why won't my 280x boot up natively/directly on my Hackintosh?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
  Print  

Jump to: