netkas.org forum
November 14, 2018, 05:18:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No surprise here; Mojave is out  (Read 1496 times)
eVasilis

« on: September 24, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »

Only waiting for nvidia's web driver to proceed and hopefully I can do a blind install since my gpu is not flashed.
mysticalos

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:40:54 AM »

GPU Family 1v4 versus GPU Family 2v1

Only new feature added to Family 1 is "Memory Barriers"

In addition to "Memory Barriers", Family 2 exclusive features include:
MSAA depth resolve, sRGB writes, Indirect command buffers, Stencil feedback, Stencil resolve

In addition, under 10.14, Family 1 and Family 2 now support max buffer length > 1 GB

Source:
https://developer.apple.com/metal/Metal-Feature-Set-Tables.pdf

So what is the cutoff for family 1 vs family 2. GOOD QUESTION. Does your GPU (in 10.14) report Family1v4 or Family2v1. Let us know!
Spacedust

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »

Some nice document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898
overshoot
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 03:49:14 AM »

Funny that Apple provide support for unsupported GPUs telling you to disable Filevault... ;-)
Rominator

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 04:24:53 AM »

for all of the time their tech support folks are going to spend explaining this, they'd have been better off to write & distribute a 580 Apple EFI

Having dealt with a few thousand of them, i can tell you that MANY of apple's customers are not the most tech savvy.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Spacedust

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »

Still waiting for the drivers. Flashed GTX780Ti works perfectly and it's the fastest one with native support. GTX780 6 GB is the one with the most RAM so far.
eVasilis

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »

Well there is a security hole in 10.14 (waiting for an update) and a pending 10.14.1 update. I would be surprised if nvidia released any drivers before that.
h9826790

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 11:59:10 PM »

for all of the time their tech support folks are going to spend explaining this, they'd have been better off to write & distribute a 580 Apple EFI

Having dealt with a few thousand of them, i can tell you that MANY of apple's customers are not the most tech savvy.

I think it will be much easier if they make the cMP can utilised UEFI GOP.

So that, a normal cMP firmware update can fix all the issue. No need write EFI for each single GPU, and no need to ask the users to flash any card.

It's been proved that the 3,1 can display with UEFI GOP via Clover / rEFInd. It should be very easy for Apple to make it happen at the firmware level for 5,1.
BrianBotts

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »

Funny that Apple provide support for unsupported GPUs telling you to disable Filevault... ;-)

Any idea technically why this might be?  I get it for the 4,1s since they don't have AES-NI in the X55xx chips, but the 5,1s have all X56xx chips which should support AES-NI.

Lastly, has anyone managed to get a second display working with a cMP on Mojave?  I see the nice 5GT/s now, but both a RX580 and R9 280x will not drive a second display irrespective of whether the display is HDMI or DP.
Fangio
Not Newbie

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 11:05:15 PM »

... has anyone managed to get a second display working with a cMP on Mojave?  I see the nice 5GT/s now, but both a RX580 and R9 280x will not drive a second display irrespective of whether the display is HDMI or DP

Can't confirm that for 280X, see pics. The Samsung TV is connected via HDMI.

Btw this Gigabyte card just shows "Metal: Supported" in System Prefs so far. I've noticed now that OpenGL Extensions Viewer does support Mojave, it also has a lot more to say about the Metal feature sets supported by capable cards

* Mojave Multiple Displays.jpg (149.39 KB, 888x768 - viewed 73 times.)

* OpenGL Viewer 5.1 - Gigabyte 280X v2 - Metal Feature Sets.png (134.56 KB, 875x399 - viewed 69 times.)
overshoot
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »

Any idea technically why this might be?  I get it for the 4,1s since they don't have AES-NI in the X55xx chips, but the 5,1s have all X56xx chips which should support AES-NI.

You didn't understand the reason why they were saying to disable Filevault...

It is simply a workaround on non Mac graphic card where you have no EFI part.
Since your screen is going to remain black until the OS is loaded with the drivers, that means you won't be able to type your Filevault password at boot ;-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: