netkas.org forum
October 15, 2019, 01:24:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chameleon Help with Mac Pro 1,1  (Read 6540 times)
plastic9mm
Not Newbie

« on: October 08, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »

I recently purchased an CF to ATA adapter and have installed it into my lower optical drive bay in my Mac Pro 1,1. I have power to the adapter via molex to 4pin connector.

I have installed an 8GB CF Card and followed the guide here http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47.

I'm having trouble getting it to boot though. I know it's at least trying to work, when I have it set to the default partition, it simply boots my Windows HDD.

I used diskutil to identify the installer partition as 4,2 at least when loaded in OS X. if it's set as 0,2 it doesn't even give me the white boot flash before attempting to boot to the installer partition. Changing this to 4,2 gives me the boot flash, but then it boots my Windows HDD.

Can anyone help me get this up and running please?

The optical drive I have jumped as "Slave" and the CF to ATA Adapter is jumpered to "Master".

Any help?
Mr. Zarniwoop

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »

Drive IDs aren't guaranteed, and on a Mac Pro can change depending on how you boot.  So, instead of
Code:
<key>Default Partition</key<string>hd(0,2)</string>

use
Code:
<key>Default Partition</key<string>"Macintosh HD"</string>

(or whatever you have that partition labeled)

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - MSI R9 280X Gaming 3GB (w/Mac EFI firmware) - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
plastic9mm
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »

Thanks, I'll give this a shot when I'm home later today.

Also, can anyone refer me to a good guide for setting up a menu to select which drive to boot from in Chameleon? Does chameleon support a Bluetooth keyboard as well? or a wireless 2.4 GHz Mouse?
plastic9mm
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:09:50 AM »

Drive IDs aren't guaranteed, and on a Mac Pro can change depending on how you boot.  So, instead of
Code:

use
Code:

Unfortunately this didn't work, still gave the boot flash for chameleon but it still booted my Windows HDD.

Any thoughts?

Can I make chameleon boot directly to a menu screen to select a drive?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:25:26 AM by plastic9mm » Logged
chromafile

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »

Drive IDs aren't guaranteed, and on a Mac Pro can change depending on how you boot.  So, instead of
Code:

use
Code:

Unfortunately this didn't work, still gave the boot flash for chameleon but it still booted my Windows HDD.

Any thoughts?

There's no way you can do right now because that's how the legacy boot works for MP1.1. I've been there and done that.

But you have two choices.
You either remove the Windows drive to boot Mountain Lion or put a SATA (Chameleon) drive into any bays from 1 to 4 to boot both Mountain Lion and Windows.
Your call.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:40:44 AM by chromafile » Logged
Mr. Zarniwoop

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »

Code:
<key>Instant Menu</key<string>Yes</string>

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - MSI R9 280X Gaming 3GB (w/Mac EFI firmware) - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: