netkas.org forum
October 20, 2019, 11:21:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFG GTX 285 OC & OC2 Editions - Flash ROM  (Read 4180 times)
menacingm

« on: September 26, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »

I recently came into possession of a Mac Pro 3,1 dual core with plenty of RAM. I plan on running VMWare ESXi on this box to run servers and also my Media Center with VT-D/VMDirectPath I/O video card passthrough.  I have the nVidia Geforce 8800 GT that shipped with it and I was planning on using it alongside one of the BFG GTX 285s I already own.

My assumption is that since ESXi will be running in EFI mode, I will also need an EFI compatible video card. As I am in possession of these 2 BFG GTX 285s (OC and OC2 versions), I figured I could flash one of them to run in the Pro for that purpose.

My question is, does anyone have experience flashing these? Does anyone know if the EEProm on this one is large enough without having to replace the chip? Hard to find documentation since BFG went under.

Also, since the VM I'm wanting to pass the video card through to is running Windows (but they hypervisor is running in EFI mode), is this necessary?

Thanks all.
blacksheep

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »

EEPROM isn't big enough. 2Mbit one needs to be soldered in place of 1Mbit one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: