netkas.org forum
September 22, 2017, 05:27:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to flash a card ?  (Read 43858 times)
puuhispoi

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »

How to extract rom from card if the rom size is 40000 and not 20000, like my first card had. ?
seer

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »

Hi

First off great thanks to Netkas for all the wonderful work!

Second:

Is there a reason why all the guides insist on booting to DOS? Whats wrong with just using WinFlash for ATI cards? Or just using a DOS window whilst booted into Windows?

Just curious - surely every man and his dog has access to a windows box somewhere (or can set up a quick dual boot). Is there some pitfalls to using Winflash or a DOS window within a Windows 7 installation?

Thanks!
Bolle

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 04:12:31 PM »

Seems that in the past not all cards were happy with beeing flashed in windows.
Did not hear of a single report of an unsuccesful flash because someone used windows for the 5000series cards.

But if you want to be 100% sure that everything goes right you use DOS. Especially for ROM dumps as some Windows tools totally fuck this one up (which does not mean they cant do it - you just have to look twice if you really got a correct backup of everything)

For most its just the comfort not to have to bother with DOS (at least this was the reason for me Tongue ) I wouldve done if I bricked my card in windows but as everything went fine no need to go DOS Tongue
seer

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »

OK so a little uncertainty around winflash in windows, but what is wrong with a DOS session in windows?

(yeah I know its not reallllll DOS anymore but lets call it cmd Smiley )
RodneyJorge

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »

Flashing card is very difficult for the new user while configuring it. The main problem occurred with the card is with handling.Suggest some tips for configuring the flash card ?

jeanlain

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »

Some weeks ago I posted a tutorial explaining how to make your own ROM.

The whole thread has been removed. Why?  Huh
Bolle

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 12:08:31 PM »

jeanlain: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=692.0 ? Wink
jeanlain

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »

Thanks. I looked for the topic yesterday and couldn't find it. A link posted by someone else led to a 404 error so I concluded it was removed.  Huh
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:45:00 PM by jeanlain » Logged
davros

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 11:50:29 PM »

Hi, I am having some difficulty flashing my XFX HD 577a ZNFC card.  I have tried in excess of a dozen different bins for the card all to no avail.  The flash process works perfectly- tells me to restart to finalize- when I reboot, the display is blank and the monitor led goes orange- no connection.  I flash back to the original bin file and everything is good.  So I know the flash process is operational.. my card name is Juniper UCODE V.126.  i even tried a few other bins with the same designation- no joy:(

Anyone have any ideas??  Would the Macefi rom for my hackintosh?

thanks very much

this is my bin attached

* old bios.bin (128 KB - downloaded 178 times.)
Rominator

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »

if you have a Hackintosh...then flashing your video card is like washing a submarine.

Pointless.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
davros

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »

I would have to agree if the video card worked in the system; at least I would be in the water rather than dry dock  Cry

No matter what bios I flash to the card it does not respond with anything but the original.  No matter, thought about it twice and have asked only once.
Rominator

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »

Would ALL CAPS help?

I will try again.

Thjere is NOTHING  ZERO  ZILCH  NADA to be gained from flashing your card for a hack.

The original ROM is the BEST rom...everything you do to it from there is making it WORSE

FLASHING IS ONLY AN OPTION FOR MAC PROS

With a Hackintosh, you need to fiddle with other stuff to make stuff work, not the ROM.

A "Mac" ROM has 2 parts. A PC BIOS and an EFI part to init the card at boot. PC BIOS cards need an EFI part added so that Mac Pros have an EFI hook to boot in to.

A Hackintosh uses "Fake" EFI...it has no real EFI so there is no point in adding EFI to a hack card. It isn't seen, isn't used, it is completely 100% invisible.

When you fiddle with an EFI rom for a hackintosh it is a 100% WASTE OF TIME. Typically, this would just be YOUR time and nobody would care. But by making me type this, you have now wasted my time too.

ONLY A MORON FLASHES A VIDEO CARD WITH AN EFI ROM AND EXPECTS ANYTHING TO IMPROVE IN A HACK

Is anything unclear?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:56:28 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
davros

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »

I have the problematic XFX HD 577A ZNFC- which has stirred more than a trifling debate on various fixes; from flashing the bios to installing rolled back kexts.  I have come across more than one site which states that after flashing the rom, the card is fully operational with Lion.  Pasted here is one such statement of this:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=25327&sid=7615486bd5ce14ac01a7dd6004ff5157&start=110

I have had absolutely no luck whilst flashing any of these said bios'.  The video card outputs nothing at all.  If you had read my post rather than the last line, I was merely asking for assistance not a berating.  I do believe you had stated in another post that you have never heard of a card being "unflashable".  Well, as I had already stated, I tried multiple different bios' to no effect.  And to prove that I was able to flash the card properly, I flashed the EFI5770 rom from here.  Flash went like all previously- only difference- the card booted and functioned. 

Obviously, I was more than vague in my initial attempt to garner assistance.  In re-reading, I don't think the student nor the teacher should have resorted to sarcasm- it just wasted a lot of time & energy on nothing.......
tomatomic

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 05:28:57 AM »

on my mac pro it seems my gigabyte 8670 is completely bricked due to flashing with a rom that must have been incompatible. it doesnt show up in system profiler (graphics or PCI cards), or device manager in windows. ive tried placing it in 2 difference PCI slots, same results.

do you think it possible to flash this card using a bootable CD as the instructions on this thread describe? or is it a waste of time?

i cant boot with the card cause the mac acts like its not connected at all. snow leopard, lion, or windows 7.  i dont see how booting off a CD would change this.

any thoughts anyone?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: