netkas.org forum
October 20, 2019, 01:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: GFXUtil News & Announcements (v0.71b + src)  (Read 451292 times)
frantisheq

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 05:11:21 PM »

what about GUI version of gfxutil that would list dev tree, convert plist to hex, etc. i think it would be much easier for some ppl to work with it. i'm not a programmer so no i won't make it Smiley
tom3q
Not Newbie

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 09:29:23 PM »

what about GUI version of gfxutil that would list dev tree, convert plist to hex, etc. i think it would be much easier for some ppl to work with it. i'm not a programmer so no i won't make it Smiley

I can make that application, but only if mcmatrix would accept that, because GFXutil was originally his idea.
frantisheq

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »

I can make that application, but only if mcmatrix would accept that, because GFXutil was originally his idea.

great
MacPaq
Not Newbie

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2008, 12:19:21 AM »

Hi thanks for this guide and thanks for the gfxutil. I really got into it, I love to dissect stuffs like that now it really make sense to me. This is only for the dev path, how can I get the rest of the efi string? For example, I want to get a card to work, let's say a XYZ vid card or an ABC audio, I still need to get the rest of the data to past to right? How does that work? If I understand correctly, I would still need some kind of Inject.kext, right.

Soory if it's a dumb question, I am new to this efi stuff and I really like to learn more.

Thanks in advance.
time ed

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »

The object of boot strings is to give your system information about your I/O devices at boot time. Using strings relieves the need for injector kexts (added bonus).

To get XYZ video card or ABC audio device to work, yes, you will have to pass the system some properties of the device along with its location. How does that work? By adding device properties to an XML file, using mcmatrixs' tool to convert the XML to hex, then adding the hex string to a boot file for your system to interpret.

Not all devices work. First, your system must already have a driver for the device. Next, you must determine the properties of the device your system requires. For that, you will have to experiment. Audio on my system requires a modified HDA kext along with layout-ID and pin configuration in the string. Some audio devices need only location. Some Nvidia cards require more device information than others. You get the idea.

The best thing to do is scout around the forum for .plists describing devices similar to yours. Edit the plist with the correct path for device and give it a try. If it fails, you will have to research the properties for your device and try again. If it works, please post for others...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:48:02 AM by time ed » Logged
FavleX
Not Newbie

Be Educated

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2008, 08:50:28 AM »

thanks time ed.
good small tutorial on the infamous strings.  Smiley
MacPaq
Not Newbie

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »

Thanks for the reply Time ed.

So the IORegistryExplorer is the main source for property info? I have a hard time to decided what properties are needed when I look at the thing, guess just have to try them all out, right. Is there a minimal set of rule the all vid cards must have or is it all depend on the card.  Also I heard that some pcs can't handle efi, is it truth? Since mine can already boot using pc_efi_v8 in GUID, that shouldn't be an issue, am I correct?

BTW, I am also trying to get the sound working(headphone line-in, mic and digital>) Perhaps even 5:1 sound but that's not important. Right now I am using Azalia. which is ok but just like to have the headphone and line-in as well. Does anyone have the ALC888 ICH7 string? I patched it with someone's patcher using the linux codec code dump, after that, in the sound preferences, I have all the controls but then there's no sound or mic or anything. Is this because some AppleHDA layers are messed up?

Thank you as always Smiley 
pnoytechie
Not Newbie

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »

Hi, I need help.

Could the gfxutil.zip be posted other than rapidshare?

rapidshare doesn't work with my provider (we're like thousand of users in one NAT). megaupload doesn't work either.

could this be upload like in mediafire or 4shared?

thanks in advance.
time ed

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »

So the IORegistryExplorer is the main source for property info?

Is there a minimal set of rule the all vid cards must have or is it all depend on the card?

BTW, I am also trying to get the sound working(headphone line-in, mic and digital>) Perhaps even 5:1 sound but that's not important. Does anyone have the ALC888 ICH7 string?

I don't know if its the main source, but so far for me its been the best source. You will find the address of the device and the values the system sees for working components. One of the devs would know better...

It depends on the card. If you use injector kext, your system.log will give an idea. You need to compare what you find in system.log with what is actually in the device tree. As a rule of thumb, use only the items that match exactly.

My machine is ALC888S/ICH7-DH. My codec is posted here, along with an archive codec that that can be used in a pinch:
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74964

I've had the best luck with Taruga's v1.17 patcher (v1.18-v1.20 do funny things and don't consistently enable all features):
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

Attached is complete .plist with graphic, networking, and audio for reference. Edit; convert to hex; apply.

Audio still requires patched kext with boot string.

* asus-p5lp.plist (1.77 KB - downloaded 491 times.)
MacPaq
Not Newbie

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2008, 07:22:13 PM »

Hi time_ed, thanks for your reply as always. I tried all taruga's patchers with my codec, the one come cloest for me is the v1.20, after applying the patch, all properly inputs and outputs show up in the sound preferences, however, still have no speaker or headphione  and mic. Perhaps I need to mess around with theAppleHDA layers. I will take a look at your plist see what I have done wrong.

cheers
time ed

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 03:46:56 PM »

You could also try some different codec/patcher combinations to see if that changes anything.
MacPaq
Not Newbie

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »

So the IORegistryExplorer is the main source for property info?

Is there a minimal set of rule the all vid cards must have or is it all depend on the card?

BTW, I am also trying to get the sound working(headphone line-in, mic and digital>) Perhaps even 5:1 sound but that's not important. Does anyone have the ALC888 ICH7 string?

I don't know if its the main source, but so far for me its been the best source. You will find the address of the device and the values the system sees for working components. One of the devs would know better...

It depends on the card. If you use injector kext, your system.log will give an idea. You need to compare what you find in system.log with what is actually in the device tree. As a rule of thumb, use only the items that match exactly.

My machine is ALC888S/ICH7-DH. My codec is posted here, along with an archive codec that that can be used in a pinch:
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74964

I've had the best luck with Taruga's v1.17 patcher (v1.18-v1.20 do funny things and don't consistently enable all features):
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

Attached is complete .plist with graphic, networking, and audio for reference. Edit; convert to hex; apply.

Audio still requires patched kext with boot string.

Hi time ed, I tried out your plist, sadly it didn't work for me, I guess your Asus mobo is very different from mine. This ACER is a PITA, still can't get it to run on all 4 cores yet. Sad I was using a PNY Geforce 7300gt. It works fine with NVinject and I adjusted the path for my machine as well.

I am trying to get the ALC888 to work, I used my Linux codec dump and patched it with taruga's 1.20, as I said before, all available controls show up in the sound preference, I also noticed today that the S/PDIP red light in the back panel lite up. I guess something is working! But I still have no spk, headphone and mic.

I also noticed in the ALCinject.kext and AppleHDAController.kext, the plists didn't have my dev and ven id (pci10de,0393)

<string>com_max_ALCinject</string>
         <key>IONameMatch</key>
         <array>
            <string>pci10de,0393</string>
            <string>pci8086,293e</string>
            <string>pci8086,2668</string>
            <string>pci8086,27d8</string>

in the AppleHDAController.kext,
                      <string>0x039310de 0x793a1002 0x437a1002 0x43831002 0x269a8086 0x26688086 0x27d88086 0x284b8086 0x293e8086 0x026c10de 0x037110de......

the wired thing is in the ConfigData, it's all blank, shouldn't there be some data? And what would that be?

<key>HDAConfigDefault</key>
         <array>
            <dict>
               <key>CodecID</key>
               <integer>283904136</integer>
               <key>ConfigData</key>
               <data>
               /* Why is this BLANK? Sad */
               </data>
               <key>FuncGroup</key>
               <integer>1</integer>
               <key>LayoutID</key>
               <integer>12</integer>
            </dict>
         </array>

Am I going about on the right track or am I doing something stupid. I have a good feeling that I am getting closer to success!!

Thanks again.

time ed

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2008, 02:19:28 AM »

I honestly don't know what should be in those kext's. You might want to check with Taruga or one of the devs more familiar with them.....
MacPaq
Not Newbie

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »

Hi time_ed, though u might like to know, on your plist, I seperated the audio part of it, use only the vidoe part, put in my dev path and it works great on my PNY7300gt 256M. Smiley thanks.
dubhead

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 06:27:52 PM »

Can anyone please help me with my dump...please?

P5LD2-V ,D930,XFX 7300GS 256MB,ALC882,88E8053 Marvel Yukon,GUID,EFIv8,10.5.2

..../gfxutil -f display
DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
../gfxutil -f ethernet
DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x2)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

### Fixed it up ..thanks for all here..Graphics,Ethernet, Sound..cleaned up ; )   Grin

* regdump.zip (69.97 KB - downloaded 492 times.)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:09:02 PM by dubhead » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: