netkas.org forum
December 12, 2017, 05:04:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashing the GTX680 2GB  (Read 123972 times)
Macfan

« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2014, 12:09:18 PM »

Recently got my hands on an EVGA GTX 680 2GB SuperClocked (02G-P4-2684-KR) which worked fine out of the box in a MacPro5,1 (OS X 10.8.4) - but without boot screens. Used nvflash and the ROM available on here and was easily able to flash the firmware with UEFI support. So far so good, except I lost those extra few MHz you get with the SC version of the card.

This nice thread had plenty of detail on how to mess with clock rates using the Kepler BIOS Tweaker, so I applied what was done with the 4GB card on there to the 2GB firmware. Flashed the card again and - perfect. Back to 1058MHz base and 1124MHz boost with 3104 x 2 MHz memory.

In case anyone wants them, here are the two ROM images I used. You might be able to put the SC version on a normal card... but it's not my fault if it all goes wrong! Smiley
Did anyone try to flash the super clocked ROM to a normal card?
Drewster

« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2014, 12:13:03 AM »

Try to boot macpro with only gtx680 installed and no outputs connected to the card  Undecided

I recently upgraded my PC so I transferred my Zotac 680 from my PC to my macpro 2,1 (sfott yosemite). Card works Fine in Bootcamp Windows 7, but I get no signal in Yosemite, I'm not talking about bootscreens, monitor says no signal. Its the same whether the card is flashed or not.

Anyone able to suggest anything, I've tried both DVI slots. Monitor doesn't have HDMI so cant test that.
electropura718

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2015, 06:57:54 PM »

-Once flashed it will behave like an EVGA Mac Edition GTX 680, everything the "official" card can do, the flashed card can do.

-It will work in windows\boot camp without issue, just install the latest Windows Drivers from Nvidia.

-To flash the card in windows\bootcamp:
download EVGA Mac Bios:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17132316&postcount=111

rename the file to: gtx68mac.rom, put it in the same directory you unzipped nvflash too (put in nvflash folder)

download the Windows version of nvlflash (works with 32 bit and 64 bit):
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2231/nvflash-5-134-0-1-for-windows/

Open a command prompt within windows (right click on command prompt, run as admin)

change to the directory with nvflash

backup your original Bios: nvflash -b my680.rom

flash the mac bios: nvflash -5 -6 gtx68mac.rom

it'll ask you two questions, hit "y" for both.

reboot!

Make sure the GTX 680 is the only card installed when you do this.

Thanks for the links and commentary.  This worked beautifully.  EVGA GTX-680 2GB.  Much gratitude to Rominator and all who contribute to this site.
Zodi

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »

Does anyone know if this graphic card also works with the EVGA EFI bios?

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 680 (2048 MB) (GV-N680OC-2GD)

Thx Zodi
Babyboi

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2015, 11:35:32 AM »

So i was planning on getting an evga gtx 680 to flash it to the mac-edtion of the card.
I´m completely new to the whole ROM/BIOS/flash things, so it would be cool if someone could answer me some questions before i create a complete mess.

1. Will the card work completely like a factory-original-genuine-authentic mac edition gtx 680 after the flash? (Assuming i did everything right)

2. Will all Adobe Programms be supported (some may need whitelisting, i heard about that) ? Are there known incompatibilities?

3. Will this card work in Bootcamp like a regular gtx 680 (Run all the games, programs etc)

4. Is it possible to flash via Bootcamp on my Mac Pro in Win 7, or do i need an extra computer running Windows?

Since i have never worked with nvflash or anything similar, i have no aidea where to start. If anybody could give me tips on how to get started or even the whole process, your help would be greatly appreciated. (If there is no Place for such discussion in this thread, i would really like to discuss this via P.M.)

All your help is welcome

-Once flashed it will behave like an EVGA Mac Edition GTX 680, everything the "official" card can do, the flashed card can do.

-It will work in windows\boot camp without issue, just install the latest Windows Drivers from Nvidia.

-To flash the card in windows\bootcamp:
download EVGA Mac Bios:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17132316&postcount=111

rename the file to: gtx68mac.rom, put it in the same directory you unzipped nvflash too (put in nvflash folder)

download the Windows version of nvlflash (works with 32 bit and 64 bit):
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2231/nvflash-5-134-0-1-for-windows/

Open a command prompt within windows (right click on command prompt, run as admin)

change to the directory with nvflash

backup your original Bios: nvflash -b my680.rom

flash the mac bios: nvflash -5 -6 gtx68mac.rom

it'll ask you two questions, hit "y" for both.

reboot!

Make sure the GTX 680 is the only card installed when you do this.

[/quote]

Hi all,

I did exactly this using a windows machine. I typed line by line into CMD prompt and all seemed fine. But when I install it on my 2009 Mac Pro and turn it on, the computer does not turn on. no lights or anything. I made sure to flash the card (EVGA GTX 680 2GB) with no other cards installed. When I put the card back in the PC, the PC works. I used power cables to power the card from the Mac - 6 pin PCIe mini to PCIe 6 pin (x2). the 680 is the only card installed in the Mac. Am I missing something?
cpch64

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2015, 05:53:06 PM »

<--Raises Hand

I flashed a Evga 02G-P4-3684 with the instructions provided in this but still do not have the boot screen showing. The entire flashing process in windows worked without a hitch, but its still acting as though its a non flashed PC card.  I also tested PCIe and its running at 1 not 2 speeds.  I would be appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or tell me what to do or look for.

Thanks,

Mac Pro 1,1 Quad 2.66 Yosimite
Rominator

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2015, 11:45:24 PM »

as expectedon 1,1

you only have pcie 1

and it is efi32

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
loki456

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2015, 03:06:32 AM »

I used this thread years back to flash an EVGA 680 2gb to the mac bios successfully. I recently switched my macpro to the trash can and would like to put the 680 in a windows machine. I reached out to evga to get the uefi bios for the card only to find it would not work, my guess is because of the flashed bios. What evga sent is update.exe with the 32 and 64 nvflash files.

I would prefer to run the motherboard in true eufi if I can. What would a good place to start to try and get the card to a uefi
photios

« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2015, 01:48:43 AM »

I just picked up a Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce OC 2GB video card. I'm curious of anyone else has flashed this model. I got it at a very reasonable price, though I could not confirm that it's flashable. Can anyone confirm whether it is or not?

Thanks!
goodfidelity

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »

Did anyone try to modify the ROM to make it identify with another ID in MacOS X?

I want to flash a ASUS card and keep the ASUS name and the clockfrequency of the card, since it is higher clock. Is this doable by editing the mac ROM?

Best regards and thanks for all the good advice!

//GF
Spacedust

« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2016, 11:32:05 PM »

Did anyone try to modify the ROM to make it identify with another ID in MacOS X?

I want to flash a ASUS card and keep the ASUS name and the clockfrequency of the card, since it is higher clock. Is this doable by editing the mac ROM?

Best regards and thanks for all the good advice!

//GF

Editing clock frequency is not a big deal. I've set my eVGA card to it's factory overclocked settings without any issues.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:28:15 PM by Spacedust » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »

Stick to Spacey's idea.

TO change vendor id and rom revision is a big deal.

Take the Mac 680 rom and search for "4238", which is EVGA Vendor ID.

Some instances are for that, some aren't.

Then, to get really tricky, try looking for the BIOS revision.

But you need to know that Nvidia likes to keep everyone on their toes, so instead look for this.

87 04 80 09 00

So, now consider Board ID and Subsystem  ID. Similar shenanigans, and some of these numbers are matched by the EFI, or it doesn't work. So some you can change, and just need to alter checksum. Others you have to decompress EFI, alter, recompress, and fix both checksums, just to test. Many tests give you a nice brick.

Trust me, alter the clockspeeds and call it a day.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
DonVito

« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2016, 10:13:20 PM »

Hi to all!!!

Thanks for ALL the info!!

I was flashed my EVGA GTX680 SC and works fine, but I have some questions:

After flash it, do I need to install drivers in MacOS (El Capitan)?? With GLView tell to me that only support OpenGL 4.1...

Is the GTX680 compatible with Metal?

Mac Video Converter Pro is unable to recode with hardware acceleration...

Thanks in advance!!
Ph0B1uS

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »

I just picked up a Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce OC 2GB video card. I'm curious of anyone else has flashed this model. I got it at a very reasonable price, though I could not confirm that it's flashable. Can anyone confirm whether it is or not?

Thanks!

I also got my hands on one of these for cheap.
Did you get around to actually flash it?
If so, what was the outcome?
Did you get a boot screen and so forth?
goodfidelity

« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »

Thanks!

I also got my hands on one of these for cheap.
Did you get around to actually flash it?
If so, what was the outcome?
Did you get a boot screen and so forth?

And also i did get one dirt cheap, so i will flash it and let you guys know how it goes.

My card has one 8pin and one 6pin port for power.

Probably wont get around to this until August since i am going for a holiday, ill try to remember to keep you posted.

I would be surprised if it didnt work. I tried with lots of different GTX680 cards so far and they all worked, even the 4Gb versions and ASUS TOP overclocked versions. Also i followed instructions on how to alter clockspeed to match original clockspeed of the TOP card and that worked nice to.

Didnt se any problems with any card so far, but i didnt make any extensive testing other then playing games =)

//GF
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: