netkas.org forum
November 21, 2017, 04:47:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashing the GTX680 2GB  (Read 121166 times)
Rominator

« on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »

Good news for hobbyists and card flashers everywhere !!!

For an unknown reason, EVGA and Nvidia have handed Macs a nice early X-Mas gift !!!

The new Mac GTX680 rom works on many GTX680 2GB cards.

It will NOT work on your card if the EEPROM is not 256K.

It will NOT work on any "oddball" cards that difer from reference.

It will NOT work on 4GB cards.

It can NOT be flashed in OSX, you will need DOS or Windows to flash it.

I can confirm that an EVGA GTX680 2GB card can be flashed to work perfectly, 100% as Mac card, if it fits above criteria.

I will also offer this word to the wise, even more than AMD/ATI cards, these Nvidia cards CAN be made to become invisible if the various portions DON'T mix right. There are now 5 sections to an Nvidia ROM. If all 5 sections don't match up, you have a $500 brick in your hands. The 680 EEPROM is on front face, making the "short pins" fix rather difficult.

Someone else can attach the rom here.

Gentlemen, start your flashing !!!!!

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »

And in case you've got a brick, this might help

http://netkas.org/?p=1182

also, from my expirience with invisible gtx650

steps to flash it after applying hardware trick

nvflash --list

nvflash --index=X --save shit.rom  (X is your card index, look at list output)

nvflash --index original.rom

this way I bypassed error of eeprom chip was knocked out durring flashing
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:21:25 AM by netkas » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »

a few more helpful tips

1. rename "nvflash.exe" to "n.exe" and save yourself a bunch of typing, you can even do this in DOS, I think it is literally "rename nvflash.exe n.exe"

2. after you do so, just type "n" at command prompt and hit "return", get commands spelled out, hit "Q" whenever you get bored

3. Get a cheapo EFI ATI/AMD card like 2600XT and avoid all of the "--index" (short equivalent is "-i") stuff, if there is only 1 Nvidia card, commands much simpler

4. always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS back up your original rom FIRST "n -b my680.rom"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:10:43 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »

a few more helpful tips

1. rename "nvflash.exe" to "n.exe" and save yourself a bunch of typing, you can even do this in DOS, I think it is literally "rename nvflash.exe n.exe"

2. after you do so, just type "n" at command prompt and hit "return", get commands spelled out, hit "Q" whenever you get bored

3. Get a cheapo EFI ATI/AMD card like 2600XT and avoid all of the "--index" (short equivalent is "-i") stuff, if there is only 1 Nvidia card, commands much simpler

4. always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS back up your original rom FIRST "n -b my680.rom"

In my case, sequence - list, read, flash was the key, otherwise nvflash was giving up.
omni

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »

And in case you've got a brick, this might help

http://netkas.org/?p=1182

I read this and was surprised it works because you are grounding a serial input (SI) pin.

The "proper" way of doing this is to ground the CE# (pin 1) during the INIT process. CE# is a generic pin on many ICs and controls whether the chip is enabled or disabled.

Grounding SI would equal to a DoS attack on the chip... Cheesy
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:51:03 AM »

Hehe, that's why it felt so bad after.

Edited original blog post, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:58:31 AM by netkas » Logged
armdn

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »

Here is the rom. How to determine, what kind of rom this is? EFI64 or EBC?

* gtx680mac.rom.zip (173.2 KB - downloaded 1198 times.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:15:33 PM by armdn » Logged
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »

well, its efi64
Rominator

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »

Nvidia has never, EVER made an EBC rom that I know of.

Last EFI32 from them was 8800GT.

Steve45

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »

Is is possible that you will be able to use portions of the GTX680 rom for making new roms in the future?
zmanfx

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »

Hi guys,

I am somewhat new to flashing VBIOS roms but I managed to flash the GTX 680 Mac Edition ROM on a my EVGA card last night. EVGA part number is 02G-P4-2684-KR. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130771)

I haven't done any stress testing but after flashing I now get an Apple logo at boot on my MacPro5,1. I did it late last night and cannot yet confirm its working PCIe 2.0 or just 1.0 (obv. 3.0 wont be supported), as I didn't check yet.

Either way, just letting you know of a succesful flash on that card. I really appreciate whoever dumped that ROM.

P.S. I used NVFlash on a PC to flash the ROM. I had to use arguments -5 -6 to ignore the PCI type and subsystem identifiers. Is that normally nessesary to flash another card's ROM? I guess in this case it worked. Obviously total noob question but I figure if I could get a question answered correctly anyhere it would definately be here.
technome

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »

Is is possible that you will be able to use portions of the GTX680 rom for making new roms in the future?

I'm interested in this question too.

Specifically, do you think it'll be possible to combine the EFI portion of the Mac GTX 680 ROM with one from a PC GTX 670? My 670 is a Gainward Phantom with a 183 KB ROM, so the EEPROM should be correct, right?

I was able to use the method stickied at the top of this forum to customise a ROM for a Radeon HD 5870. Is it likely that a similar method could be developed to cover the GTX 6XX series?

And if so, how would I go about learning the ropes?
reranes

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »

All works great with this Card:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2680-KR

Bootscreen, 2 Displays (DVI & Display Port), Link Speed x16 5.0 GT/s,...

Flashed with USB Stick & nvflash on Windows Computer.

Gaming on 2560x1440 works fantastic, photoshop very nice...

And the best:

the card is very, very silent to the 7950 mac and the 5870 mac... much more power and very silent... on desktop and 3d!
mysticalos

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:45 PM »

that's exact card I have. i just need a dummies guide to flashing it really. gist i get so far is to find nvflash somewhere on internet. run from windows. backup original rom in dos, then put new rom in. hope it's not fucked afterwards.

that's not telling me much about how to avoid the "not fucked" part. do you need to use actual dos, or the emulated dos that's in newer versions of windows. things like that.

Also, is there ANY way to do this from a mac pro? Here is what i've found so far
It's impossible to do it from windows 7 because windows 7 blocks access to bios
It's impossible to do it from dos because a mac pro can't boot dos.

What are my options without access to an actual PC and mac pro being only machine i can do this on?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:25:00 AM by mysticalos » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 04:44:37 AM »

The command prompt in WIndows works juts fine.

Do some research, this isn't like rebuilding a jet engine. You can do it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: