netkas.org forum
May 29, 2022, 12:24:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: 7xxx rom creating test.  (Read 1284397 times)
maiams
Not Newbie

« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2015, 01:15:35 AM »

You used someone else's rom

Got to make it with your own

Since you said that, I requested to Sapphire the original firmware for my card.
It took like a week, but they sent and I've done everything again.

Same thing, with same behavior.

I am using the original firmware provided by Sapphire.

This is the command line and output:

Endeavour:bundle maia$ ./makerom.sh --efifile=7950mac.efi --romfile=efiromheader.rom --originalrom=11230legacy.rom --devid=679a
running on 7950mac.efi, efiromheader.rom with devid 679a
Patching files 7950mac.efi, efiromheader.rom for device-id 0x679a
Successfully patched efi file
Successfully patched efi rom file

Orig Size = 125440
Comp Size = 47591
47591+0 records in
47591+0 records out
47591 bytes transferred in 0.073168 secs (650434 bytes/sec)
EFI part is ready at 679a.efipart.rom
orig size - 65536
65536+0 records in
65536+0 records out
65536 bytes transferred in 0.099406 secs (659276 bytes/sec)
Before:
OpRom (size=65536, indicator_offset=0x241, indicator=0x80, checksum=0x0)
OpRom (size=48128, indicator_offset=0x31, indicator=0x80, checksum=0x0)
RawData (size=17408)

After:
OpRom (size=65536, indicator_offset=0x241, indicator=0x0, checksum=0x80)
OpRom (size=48128, indicator_offset=0x31, indicator=0x80, checksum=0x47)
RawData (size=17408)
the rom is ready at 11230legacy.rom.efi.rom
Endeavour:bundle maia$

* 11230legacy.rom (128 KB - downloaded 667 times.)
* 11230legacy.rom.efi.rom (128 KB - downloaded 703 times.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:17:09 AM by maiams » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #451 on: October 06, 2015, 11:11:36 PM »

So, obviously still wrong rom.

Look on back of card and see if it lists firmware revision.

Does it have dual position BIOS switch?

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
maiams
Not Newbie

« Reply #452 on: October 07, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »

So, obviously still wrong rom.

Look on back of card and see if it lists firmware revision.

Does it have dual position BIOS switch?

Hi Rominator.

I am not quite sure if the BIOS is the wrong one. After patching the legacy BIOS with Apple EFI, it works fine on OS X (with the wrong VRAM) and on Windows it just leads to a BSOD.
Using both legacy or UEFI (not the Apple EFI), it works on OS X and Windows. On OS X it still shows a huge amount of VRAM but on Windows, it shows memory correctly.

By the way, I'll give it a try. I'm asking Sapphire's support again for other versions of this BIOS.

And yes, this model have a small button to switch between UEFI and legacy BIOS.

* IMG_0135_opt.jpg (38.2 KB, 400x533 - viewed 1670 times.)

* IMG_0136_opt.jpg (75.26 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1595 times.)
Rominator

« Reply #453 on: October 08, 2015, 02:56:22 AM »

If you have the dual position switch then you already have wheat you need.

Just dump the rom from other position.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
maiams
Not Newbie

« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2015, 04:08:56 AM »

Rominator, this was the first thing that I did. Trust me, I am using the correct BIOS. Windows works like a charm and recognizes everything, including the device name and VRAM.

yzfnyc
Not Newbie

« Reply #455 on: October 10, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »

Okay well I purchased a used ATI Radeon HD 7950 on Ebay because my 5770 died on my Mac Pro 3,1 so decided to upgrade well I think I got screwed.  Huh

I found that I purchased an R&D Model ATI Radeon HD 7950 Monica see Picture below.

I attached the pc rom and modified rom with EFI added.  It works fine all ports work and running great on a 6 pin to dual 6 pin connector.  leaving the two grounds empty.  I was going to remove the R17 resistor but can't find it.  It's not marked like on the Sapphire cards.  Any thoughts?  Kind of an under performer card here.  Anyway to boost up the specs?  Any ideas?

* MacMonica.rom (128 KB - downloaded 690 times.)
* PCMonica.rom (128 KB - downloaded 656 times.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:09:50 PM by yzfnyc » Logged
Yamcha

« Reply #456 on: October 10, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »

I successfully flash the MAC7950.ROM file to my PowerColor 7950 PCS+ but since it was slightly overclocked OOB I did loose some performance. Is there a way to modify the EFI bios for the overclocked speeds? Assuming I could just use ATI Winflash to modify speeds?

The 7950 performs fairly well on the Windows side of things.

Mac OSX Unflashed BIOS - Unigen Heaven Extreme Preset = 509

Mac OSX Unflashed - Unigen Heaven Extreme Preset  = 720 Score (Deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient)

Windows 10 64-Bit Unflashed - Unigen Heaven Extreme Preset = 905 Score

Anyway the boot screen shows up, and 10.10.1 correctly lists it as 7950 vs the 7xxx before. The Windows score seems to be about the average you'd see on a i5 2500K machine.. So not too shabby..
Rominator

« Reply #457 on: October 10, 2015, 08:35:18 AM »

Okay well I purchased a used ATI Radeon HD 7950 on Ebay because my 5770 died on my Mac Pro 3,1 so decided to upgrade well I think I got screwed.  Huh

I found that I purchased an RND Model ATI Radeon HD 7950 Monica see Picture below.

I attached the pc rom and modified rom with EFI added.  It works fine all ports work and running great on a 6 pin to dual 6 pin connector.  leaving the two grounds empty.  I was going to remove the R17 resistor but can't find it.  It's not marked like on the Sapphire cards.  Any thoughts?  Kind of an under performer card here.  Anyway to boost up the specs?  Any ideas?

Hello, Dorothy, welcome to OZ.

Turns out my answer to you at MR was right on the money.

Both roms you posted have Mac EFI, but they are different. That would be the 2nd "Monica" card to have an early Mac EFI on it.

Oddly, there is a truly silly error with device id in the EFI header. But it may not matter.

Anyhow, why is it you thought you got screwed? You got a more real Mac 7950 then most people. It is a pre-production Mac 7950.

Now quit yer bitchin'

yzfnyc
Not Newbie

« Reply #458 on: October 10, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »

Hello, Dorothy, welcome to OZ.

Turns out my answer to you at MR was right on the money.

Both roms you posted have Mac EFI, but they are different. That would be the 2nd "Monica" card to have an early Mac EFI on it.

Oddly, there is a truly silly error with device id in the EFI header. But it may not matter.

Anyhow, why is it you thought you got screwed? You got a more real Mac 7950 then most people. It is a pre-production Mac 7950.

Now quit yer bitchin'

WOW, Rominator himself replied, I'm truly honored. =D

Well the reason I say I got screwed is the Shaders are only 768 Unified.  Shouldn't it be in the 1792 range or something?  Not that I will doing much post production video work but Just Sayin'...

Also?  It had Mac EFI on the original PC Rom?  It wouldn't show the boot screen before the flash.  Could it have been the error?  Just out of curiosity. Doesn't really matter at this point.  Well thanks Rominator for the reply.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:31:31 PM by yzfnyc » Logged
yzfnyc
Not Newbie

« Reply #459 on: October 10, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »

I successfully flash the MAC7950.ROM file to my PowerColor 7950 PCS+ but since it was slightly overclocked OOB I did loose some performance. Is there a way to modify the EFI bios for the overclocked speeds? Assuming I could just use ATI Winflash to modify speeds?

The 7950 performs fairly well on the Windows side of things.

Mac OSX Unflashed BIOS - Unigen Heaven Extreme Preset = 509

Mac OSX Unflashed - Unigen Heaven Extreme Preset  = 720 Score (Deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient)

Windows 10 64-Bit Unflashed - Unigen Heaven Extreme Preset = 905 Score

Anyway the boot screen shows up, and 10.10.1 correctly lists it as 7950 vs the 7xxx before. The Windows score seems to be about the average you'd see on a i5 2500K machine.. So not too shabby..

Did you make a flash with your original PC rom?  If you did, it would not cause any issues if you didn't did you back them up before flashing?  If so upload them and maybe I can help make the proper rom for you.  You can also try to modify the rom in windows using RBE128 from Techpowerups but I wouldn't mess with that unless you actually didn't save your PC rom.
maiams
Not Newbie

« Reply #460 on: October 15, 2015, 04:59:44 AM »

Tried that. Same thing.

I've asked again the Sapphire's support and they told me that the BIOS is the correct one.

As I mentioned, using Windows and Linux (elementary OS) it works fine. I believe that my card is not well supported since it's overclocked from BIOS factory.

I would like to ask others about this specific card, if they succeed or not patching it.
diskettenfett

« Reply #461 on: October 18, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »

Hey,

I found this thread and tried my luck. First, many thanks to everybody who made this hack possible. It might just make my vintage Mac Pro more usable again Smiley
But there's a small problem: I might need some help and hope to get it here. My configuration:

Mac Pro 1,1 with HD7750 1 GB Powercolor 0x683f (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort), Mac OS 10.8 and 10.9 and Win 7.
I am using the DVI output, either with a DVI or a VGA display via adaptor.

So far I have used this card unflashed, works great except for the bootscreen of course. I generated a new ROM using the method described here.
The results:

Using DVI digital display: No video at all, not while booting, not unter Mac OS (but Mac OS boots fine).
Using VGA display connected to DVI: Bootscreen works, Windows works, Mac OS works, but:

The graphics card doesn't seem to recognize the display type connected. It says "VGA display" instead of the name of my display and defaults to 800x600 as the optimal resolution for the display. I guess this also leads to the graphics cards not recognizing a DVI display.
I can manually change the resolution, but can't choose the correct widescreen resolution for my display (1680x1050).

Any ideas what I can do about that? I'd absolutely love to have a bootscreen and I feel like I am so close and only need a minor fix to the ROM.

Here are my ROMs (original and modified):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3103837/hd7750/original.rom
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3103837/hd7750/mod.rom

Sadly, my experience flashing video cards ended somewhere in the G4 era, so I hope somebody in this forum can point me in the right direction what to do.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Smiley

Thanks in advance,
Alex
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:04:39 PM by diskettenfett » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #462 on: October 19, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »

you need to figure out if you have actual acceleration

looks like no

diskettenfett

« Reply #463 on: October 19, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »

Thanks for your reply,

it seems like I got acceleration (QE/CI?) under Mac OS 10.8, since I get the ripples effect when adding a widget to my dashboard. Rotating cube effect when changing users also works. 1080 video playback using Youtube works. Full screen games (set to my displays native resolution of 1680x1050) don't work, my display goes into "Out of range", the Mac then sends a video signal with 90 Hz VSync / 57 KHz HSync which my TFT cannot sync to. As soon as I quit the game blindly, it goes back to the desktop (1400x1050) just fine.

Seems to me like there's only (?) a problem recognizing the connected display, its supported resolutions and which connector it is plugged into. Maybe 10.8 defaults to VGA over DVI while 10.9 might default to something else. However, I only have VGA or DVI, I don't have any HDMI or DP devices, sadly.

This is what System Profiler says, if you need any other information, please let me know:

By the way, I only tested OS 10.8 before. Today, I found out that 10.9 behaves different to 10.8, my VGA display will only go to "No signal" when I boot 10.9. Verbose mode shows that it will go to "No Signal" as soon as the login screen should appear. But 10.9 boots and I can login blindly. Haven't tested 10.9 with DVI display yet.

Thanks for your help! Smiley
Alex
diskettenfett

« Reply #464 on: October 19, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »

A little bit more information about full screen games:

- SuperTuxKart doesn't work, only gives "Signal out of range" (90 Hz / 57 KHz).

- Armagetron Advanced works, definitely has acceleration (~1500 fps!), but the screen is strangely offset down and to the left, so it is cut off on the left and on the bottom. Autosetup of my display doesn't change that at all, so it's the content of the video signal which is offset and not my analog display not locking onto the signal correctly. My display also says that it's correctly running at 1680x1050 under Armagetron.

One more thing: When booting into Mac OS 10.8, as soon as it goes to the login screen, I see scrambled video for maybe a second, sometimes containing bits of my last Windows bootup.

Thanks a lot! Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: