netkas.org forum
May 28, 2022, 11:26:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: 7xxx rom creating test.  (Read 1284337 times)
Rominator

« Reply #405 on: August 01, 2015, 05:16:23 AM »

ugh

thats an uncompressed refi

you just need the real full mac 7950 rom with both halves

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
MacPaul
Not Newbie

« Reply #406 on: August 01, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »

Dear Members,

I'v searched everywhere in this thread for the 7970.efi file.

Around page 17 it says "somewhere in these threads I've placed a 7970.efi file".
I have being going through the 28 pages now three times (apart from numerous
times at previous moments).
Has it perhaps been removed somehow?

Could anyone please point out where this is to be found?

Many thanks
Fl0r!an

« Reply #407 on: August 01, 2015, 11:10:13 AM »

It's the same as the 7950.efi, just with changed device id.
Run the script in post #1 with 7970 devid, it will do what you want automatically.
MacPaul
Not Newbie

« Reply #408 on: August 01, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »

Thanks Florian,

I am aware of and successful with the 7950.efi but find changing the cosmetic aspects
from 7950 to 7970 slightly tricky to do myself. I was therefore hoping one of the
knowledgeable hero members might have already done the work.

Furthermore, it is written somewhere that when applied to a 7970, "one might loose some
speed". I was/am hoping that an EFI-file provided by the wizards here would not come with
that speed issue.

I cannot make use of the "generic" 7970.ROM as posted on page 6 with this particular
MSI card that looks like a reference design but apparently isn't.

But thanks, then I'll know I'll just have to make the changes myself.

Regards,
MacPaul
Fl0r!an

« Reply #409 on: August 01, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »

The speed issue only happens when flashing a full 7950 ROM to a 7970, the EFI part doesn't contain any clock information.

The cosmetic changes are as simple as doing a "search 'HD 7950' replace 'HD 7970'".
MacPaul
Not Newbie

« Reply #410 on: August 01, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »

Aha, so that sounds perfect! Then I don't have to wonder whether
the card is underperforming.

I'll do the search-and-replace thing then.

Thanks again for your quick reply.
Rominator

« Reply #411 on: August 01, 2015, 11:16:14 PM »

Everyone still overthinking this.

If you want working 7970 EFI, find ANY Mac 7970 rom on this thread, and follow the instructions I put on this page.

If I hear one more time that someone can't find 7950 I'll scream, I posted it on first page.

7950/r9 280 =679a

7970/R9 280X = 6798

Simplest Mac roms EVER

FIND A UEFI for your card, find Mac EFI rom for any card with same device Id chop in half and mix THERE IS MOTHING ELSE TO DO

If all you have is PC BIOS, you will have to use fixrom.py

One more time, this can't be made any easier unless we offered to fly to your house and flash it for you

If you can't find those device id numbers, Google Little Endian

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
italux

« Reply #412 on: August 10, 2015, 01:17:29 AM »

Ok, so I feel really stupid for not being able to do this. This is an MSI 7950 TWIN FROZR 3GD5 and did several things to try ans get this working.

First I tried the stock 7950 ROM from the first page, card boots up fine but some games (e.g. Civilization just freeze and becomes unplayable)

Then I dumped my rom, run the script and came up with a new rom file, this one boots and games are fine (apparently so far). Now the issue is that when I go to the PCI screen now it gives me error retrieving PCI information. So completely stumped...any help would be appreciated in making this a working rom. Orginal ROM attached

thanks so much in advance

* MYROM.ROM (128 KB - downloaded 639 times.)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »

Are you sure the card was successfully flashed (shows bootscreen & reports "HD 7950" in "About this Mac..." instead of "HD 7xxx")?
smjones
Not Newbie

« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2015, 01:53:59 AM »

I know better, but in a fit of idiocy I ignored the whole question of ports in the reference design and got a Sapphire 100373L card (2 x DVI, DP, HDMI). Then, I did not first boot into OSX to make sure the card was grokked with the PC ROM... Nope, I popped it in next to the 2600XT in the Mac Pro (1,1 -> 2,1; 10.10.4 via PikerAlpha) and dove right into Windows (Boot Camp, 7-Ult-64), dumped the ROM with GPU-Z, mixed in EFI on another Mac Pro, and flashed the new card.  Shocking news - Mac's not happy. Flashed it back to the stock image - MP still won't boot OSX with the card installed. Much crashes. Well, dividends of impatience...

However I had a Gigabyte R9 280 coming as well (GV-R928WF3OC-3GD) which has the reference DVI, HDMI, 2 x mDP layout. Dumped ROM, etc etc. The 7xxx bundle's fixrom.py puked with array index errors as noted in this post   Hmm...

Read Rominator's post here. Looks like the Gigabyte is packing a UEFI ROM. So, it doesn't really need fixrom.py to patch up the checksum. Hmm...

So I followed Rominator's advice about how easy it is to roll a UEFI ROM manually. Tweaked parameters to dd(1) until I could extract the compressed EFI part of the Sapphire ROM from earlier, and combined it with the first 64K of the Gigabyte UEFI ROM. Worked like a charm - got a boot screen on one mDP port, and works nicely under OSX and Win7. Generated some Luxmark numbers just to be sure.

Went back to the hex editor and grabbed a version of the Sapphire ROM where I had edited the uncompressed EFI to change the identifier from "HD 7950" to "R9 280 " -- plugged that in, and now the Gigabyte is even called the right thing in System Information. Woot.

I'm a Perl guy, but have to switch to Python one of these days. So maybe I'll dig into fixrom.py and try to see where the array index error is coming from - probably searching for a pattern that isn't present in the UEFI ROMs...

Anyway: Thanks (again) Rominator! And all the bright sparks that let me follow the recipes and hints shared here...
Fl0r!an

« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2015, 06:02:13 AM »

Hehe, great! Smiley Just 2 remarks on this:

- I have exactly the same Sapphire card. It's quite fine for flashing, 3 ports will work both in OS X and EFI (1 DVI, DP, HDMI). Not perfect, but 3 ports is all you need on a card that can drive 3 displays...

- I discovered (and fixed) that fixrom.py bug just yesterday: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,10827.msg31508.html#msg31508
smjones
Not Newbie

« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2015, 07:28:14 AM »

- I have exactly the same Sapphire card. It's quite fine for flashing, 3 ports will work both in OS X and EFI (1 DVI, DP, HDMI).
Well that's both encouraging and depressing. Encouraging because it would be really nice if it worked. Cheesy    Depressing because either it was DOA and I was too sloppy to check, or I managed to bork it somehow. Sad   Or maybe, in the immortal words of Jobs, I'm simply holding it wrong...  Wink

I did also dump the ROM with the dual BIOS switch in the "out," or un-lit position, and tried running that through the patching process. (Second 64K was empty in that one.) Alas that didn't work any better for me at the time. I hate that BIOS switch, BTW. Seems like every time I look at the card, it switches position on me...

Well I suppose I'll have to give this a few more tries. FYI this 100373L came with BIOS v. 014.048.000.055.000... When I checked Techpowerup I found only older versions (045 etc, IIRC). Maybe it's something about the 1,1->2,1 flashing I did, or just something about that MP.

- I discovered (and fixed) that fixrom.py bug just yesterday: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,10827.msg31508.html#msg31508
Nice!
Fl0r!an

« Reply #417 on: August 11, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »

Did you overwrite both the legacy BIOS and the UEFI ROM? OSX should boot fine with either of those, just w/o bootscreen...

Are you sure that the Mac doesn't boot at all with the flashed Sapphire? Maybe you're just hooked up to a black port (I think the upper DVI will stay black after flash).
smjones
Not Newbie

« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2015, 11:14:33 AM »

Did you overwrite both the legacy BIOS and the UEFI ROM? OSX should boot fine with either of those, just w/o bootscreen...

Are you sure that the Mac doesn't boot at all with the flashed Sapphire? Maybe you're just hooked up to a black port (I think the upper DVI will stay black after flash).
I'll take another run at it tomorrow night. I'm sure half the problems come from tinkering with this when I should be asleep... But when I referenced crashes, I meant that when trying to boot the machine I got the startup/progress bar for up to 1/4, then display resets, then the grey "your machine has crashed" text screen.

The card should have the stock PC ROM currently, so I'll try it in the 1,1->2,1 and the 4,1->5,1 again and see what happens. Both running current Yosemite.

My desk is a dual DVI + USB KVM setup, using an iogear GCS1644, so I suppose I'll have to try it without a KVM if I want to be sure of anything. But I generally have both DVI connected to the 11230; have both connected to the 2600XT and nothing connected to the 11230; or one DVI connected to a GT 120 and one to a random port of the 11230.

I'll just leave it at that until I can go through the combinations from scratch tomorrow and be sure what's doing what. That'll teach me not to take notes...

Thanks for the questions and suggestions!
Rominator

« Reply #419 on: August 11, 2015, 10:36:10 PM »

I have done 2 @ 280X with a single DP.

One would not be stable in OS X pre or post flash. It occasionally made it to desktop but would always crash soon after. Even with flashed EFI it would never be a good mac card.

The 2nd one I got as a flash job and expected failure. Oddly, it worked fine. I don'y recall model or brand but I no longer take single DP ones as flash jobs and just tell people to avoid.

Same with XFX 280Xs, even with Dual DP. I had one batch work fine, next were junk. Reference PCB cards always best, even with wacky fans.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:42:07 PM by Rominator » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: