netkas.org forum
May 29, 2022, 12:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: 7xxx rom creating test.  (Read 1284413 times)
Ironjer
Not Newbie

« Reply #285 on: August 13, 2014, 06:10:50 AM »

Okay, I have done this and it works great; however I encountered a few issues along the way.

1) Dumping your original VBIOS - I used DarwinDumer to do this under OS X

2) Netkas script - this worked flawlessly and was the easiest part.

And now the problems...

At this point I had a ROM image; how to burn it? I am running on a MacPro...
I tried booting off a MSDOS CD - I was never able to make this work holding C during the boot - always ended up in OS X.

My solution (heavy handed, but useful for other purposes):
I installed bootcamp and Windows7. Of course this led to the following problem:

Shortly after booting windows, the system would crash with a BSOD indicating a CACHE problem. A google search indicated that this is the fault of the Apple driver to read HFS partitions. To fix, you must remove /windows/system32/drivers/AppleHFS.sys - the only problem - the system would crash before I could do this! Further experiments indicated that my software RAID volume was the cause, so I pulled those disks, rebooted, and was able to rename the offending driver. I could then replace the disks and boot normally. Once booting into windows, it is trivial to use ATI winFlash to burn the ROM image.

All is working perfectly now, although I cannot browse my HFS volumes from windows due to the bug in the HFS driver.

I am using the Sapphire 7950 with boost (model 21196). I removed R17 (not marked on these boards, match the pictures in the howto PCIe 2.0 thread) and have the best of all worlds now:

Clocked at 925Mhz, 5GT transfers, and boot screens!

The card is great, although under load the fan is a bit noisy and blows a lot of hot air...

To remove the resistor, I used a jeweler's screwdriver to gently pry it off. It does not take much force at all.

Good luck to all!

Hi, men i have the same card, can you please send me the EFI ROM what you are using on it?
richgoga

« Reply #286 on: August 13, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »

Hi, men i have the same card, can you please send me the EFI ROM what you are using on it?
If your card is this one http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1878&psn=&lid=1&leg=0 then you can use the attached file

* 7950.rom (128 KB - downloaded 725 times.)
Ironjer
Not Newbie

« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2014, 02:45:08 PM »

If your card is this one http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1878&psn=&lid=1&leg=0 then you can use the attached file

Thank you very much bro, Working like a champ.
TUBbrain

« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »

Hi richgoga,

I've tried all procedures found on this excellent forum. All has been done without any trouble, but still no have the apple at the boot. My card is one of these cards with boost and dual fans but some bug with EFi rom...
May I try your rom beacause my card is pretty like the same as yours :
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1841
TUBbrain

« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2014, 04:08:56 PM »

Oups...
I've just tried the richgoga's ROM on my card, and it freeze looping the boot sound of my Mac...
So, I've replace the good one switching roms with button and now it's ok

This rom doesn't work on new model of Sapphire HD7950 with boost and dual fans

To be continued...
Ironjer
Not Newbie

« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:57 PM »

Oups...
I've just tried the richgoga's ROM on my card, and it freeze looping the boot sound of my Mac...

To be continued...

Yes, Different model you card have 1 DisplayPort (normal size) and 1 hdmi. No as reference card you need another efi.
richgoga

« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2014, 11:03:46 PM »

No problem. I'm now trying out overclocking with VBE7. See how far I can push the card without raising voltage.
richgoga

« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »

Oups...

To be continued...

Get another model or use this one unflashed. This exact one is no-go for EFI.

Looks like you're out of luck I'm afraid. This quote from blacksheep saved me from buying this card. Sorry I can't be more help, I just read and copy what the geniuses post.
Ironjer
Not Newbie

« Reply #293 on: August 15, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »

No problem. I'm now trying out overclocking with VBE7. See how far I can push the card without raising voltage.

I have understood that VBE7 going off the EFI part you need mod before the patch it.

i wish mod the fan profile and some clocks.

Example: State 1 - Performance #6 Core 925 and Memo 1250 Volt 1.250v #0 (Boost) Core 1000 and Memo 1350 Volt 1.250v then adjust fan profile

i supposed you need:

1 tweak the original bios with VBE7
2 Save the .ROM
3 Patch with Netkas Script
4 Flash the CARD

right?

the factory value in volts is enough i think so.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:51:56 PM by Ironjer » Logged
richgoga

« Reply #294 on: August 15, 2014, 10:35:20 PM »

I have understood that VBE7 going off the EFI part you need mod before the patch it.

Example: State 1 - Performance #6 Core 925 and Memo 1250 Volt 1.250v #0 (Boost) Core 1000 and Memo 1350 Volt 1.250v then adjust fan profile

i supposed you need:

2 Save the .ROM
4 Flash the CARD

right?

That is my understanding... but after much testing, I've decided not to bother with overclocking. I'm using a Mac Pro 1,1 so stuck at PCIe 1. The small gains from OC above the factory 925/1250 aren't worth the hassle and sometimes the OC has a negative effect on benchmarks.

Using AMD CCC in Windows, I could push the card to 1050/1500 with no instability, with +10% power to prevent throttling. It's just that the FPS gains and increases in Furmark score we're so small.

Post with how you get on. I amy give it another try.
Ironjer
Not Newbie

« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2014, 12:50:23 AM »

i supposed you need:

2 Save the .ROM
4 Flash the CARD

right?

That is my understanding... but after much testing, I've decided not to bother with overclocking. I'm using a Mac Pro 1,1 so stuck at PCIe 1. The small gains from OC above the factory 925/1250 aren't worth the hassle and sometimes the OC has a negative effect on benchmarks.

Using AMD CCC in Windows, I could push the card to 1050/1500 with no instability, with +10% power to prevent throttling. It's just that the FPS gains and increases in Furmark score we're so small.

Post with how you get on. I amy give it another try.

yeah, you right

you know testing the EFI BIOS i having problems with some games, exp. Watch Dogs, Metro Last Night and Arma III when i change something in Video Settings as texture vsync etc and apply the screen goes black then the mac reboot itself.

Note i'm using Crossfire Mode and the Latest Catalyst looking in Windows Event Logs can see some logs Error Eventlog ID 1101 Kernel-Power 41 and 2 Display Stopped Working 4101 maybe the EFI part need some tweak i don't know. The PSU is Ok.

i've tried undervolt underclock etc and nothing.

i´ve tried with Factory bios (bios switch position 2) that games working without hangs in single or crossfire.mode.

PD: with efi bios single mode won't hangs too.

what do you think about that?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:14:46 AM by Ironjer » Logged
Ironjer
Not Newbie

« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »

Never used it. Compare both ROMs in HexEdit and see where exactly changes were made by VBE7.
What settings you want to modify with it? Clocks are easy to change in any hex editor, check this method out. Works for me beautifully. Fix the checksum of the BIOS part after that.

Clocks, voltages and power limit.

975/1350/1175mv/190W

I'll have a look at HexEdit! Thanks.

Edit: I think I might have cracked it.

Offset 235 is changed from 80 to 00, thereby stopping the EFI working.

Changed the offset back to 80, corrected the checksum and we are in buisness!

Thanks for the help.

i found the offset but i dont know how to correct the checksum Smiley
electonic

« Reply #297 on: August 18, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »

Look to find a string Like "IBM" in the bios which you can change easily without breaking anything. Change letters to value of "0" (zero) in the hex, one by one and check if checksum is right, every time you overwrite one letter with 0 (zero). Make note of correct checksum before you do all this, obviously Wink
Rominator

« Reply #298 on: August 18, 2014, 11:35:29 PM »

to move forward, sometimes you need to move backward.

fixrom.py was released in early days of 4870 flashing

not as useful for Nvidia cards with their inforom image but still works on AMD cards with 2 rom pieces

dig and ye shall find

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Ironjer
Not Newbie

« Reply #299 on: August 21, 2014, 12:31:28 AM »

to move forward, sometimes you need to move backward.

fixrom.py was released in early days of 4870 flashing

not as useful for Nvidia cards with their inforom image but still works on AMD cards with 2 rom pieces

dig and ye shall find

Thanks Rominator, i've dug and found. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: