netkas.org forum
May 28, 2022, 11:24:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: 7xxx rom creating test.  (Read 1284119 times)
jimj
Not Newbie

« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »

Success!

I think there was a space at the beginning of the script, all good now though. Removed the R17 resistor and now have 5GT/s!

Thanks again JimJ

Just my way of paying it forward... Enjoy!

I think this is an awesome setup!

-JimJ
bgbhgb
Not Newbie

« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »

Hi,

thanks for your research and work. I have a 7970 Ref. Card (ID 6798). I remove the R17 resistor with a tiny screwdriver and build the EFI-ROM with the Netkas script, everything works fine (Bootscreen + 5GT/s) BUT there is a minor problem, the card will show as 7950 and not as 7970 in Hardware > PCI Cards  Huh

What is the solution?
Thanks!
J-MI
Not Newbie

« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »

Hi,

thanks for your research and work. I have a 7970 Ref. Card (ID 6798). I remove the R17 resistor with a tiny screwdriver and build the EFI-ROM with the Netkas script, everything works fine (Bootscreen + 5GT/s) BUT there is a minor problem, the card will show as 7950 and not as 7970 in Hardware > PCI Cards  Huh

What is the solution?
Thanks!

Change 7950 by 7970 in the efiromheader.rom file text before build the EFI-ROM
nsrexler
Not Newbie

« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »

So is there any update on this ROM creation tool, or is it still in "testing" state?
jimj
Not Newbie

« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »

So is there any update on this ROM creation tool, or is it still in "testing" state?

I think there is more than enough evidence to say the following:

"The tool works but is not turnkey and novice users may run into difficulties, and there will always be some level of risk involved."

That is not a criticism - if a person requires support and is unwilling to learn they are probably better off buying a card that is supported from the manufacturer, or a board that has been modified by a reputable vendor. Paying for service and support is best for some users.

The tool does NOT support volume/path names that contain spaces.

The tool requires manual edits for 7970 boards, and possibly others.

That said, the tool itself is the easiest part of the process - novice users are more likely to run into problems flashing the ROM or, if desired, modifying the board for full speed PCIe operation.

This thread documents the process VERY well, including step by step procedures, examples, diagnostic interchanges, and links to required tools...

If after reading this thread a person is not comfortable flashing their ROM, they probably never will be regardless of improvements to the tool itself.

-JimJ
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:07:20 PM by jimj » Logged
bgbhgb
Not Newbie

« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »

Hi,

What is the solution?
Thanks!

Works for me  Smiley Thanks!
hrfat1

« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »

Hello!

My video Card HD 7870 XT

How to install video?

I did everything about it.

How to install rom?

After that, I do not know.
MacRave1.1

« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:19 AM »

Hello people !

First of all thx for all the work that was already put into this project !!

Now I read this thread over and over since I'm sitting here with a HD 7950 by Gigabyte and am trying to get it to work in my Mac Pro 1.1 .... unfortunately before I bought it i did not read the whole thread....

Anways.. now the card is sitting in PCI 0 and my old Geforce 8800 in bay 2 (i know not optimal but I can boot into OSX 10.7.5...)connected to the Monitor..

HD 7950 is flashed with Rominator ROM... when connected to the monitor gives me boot screen but then...kernel Panic ... (as described earlier)

But when I boot OSX with the GeForce 8800 the Systemprofiler shows the HD 7950. (Sreenshot) But its strange because it actually shows two hd 7950 cards one says Drivers installed, the other does not have any...

Anyone there that can help me with that ? OSX recognizes the card so it show be possible to get it to work...

Thx in advance for hints !

* Profiler.png (91.19 KB, 776x582 - viewed 1728 times.)
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »

Hello people !

First of all thx for all the work that was already put into this project !!

Now I read this thread over and over since I'm sitting here with a HD 7950 by Gigabyte and am trying to get it to work in my Mac Pro 1.1 .... unfortunately before I bought it i did not read the whole thread....

Anways.. now the card is sitting in PCI 0 and my old Geforce 8800 in bay 2 (i know not optimal but I can boot into OSX 10.7.5...)connected to the Monitor..

HD 7950 is flashed with Rominator ROM... when connected to the monitor gives me boot screen but then...kernel Panic ... (as described earlier)

But when I boot OSX with the GeForce 8800 the Systemprofiler shows the HD 7950. (Sreenshot) But its strange because it actually shows two hd 7950 cards one says Drivers installed, the other does not have any...

Anyone there that can help me with that ? OSX recognizes the card so it show be possible to get it to work...

Thx in advance for hints !

Is it OSX 10.9 ? if so, flash original mac's 7950 rom, not any self-made rom, to prevent the panic.

Two devices is fine, one is just being hdmi audio device, happens on macs as well
MacRave1.1

« Reply #174 on: September 06, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »

Hi Rominator,
Thx for your reply!
I'm running 10.7.5.. I could only manage to replicate your previous discoveries:
Without Ati Drivers -> bootscreen -> OS X startup but no acceleration
With Ati Drivers -> bootscreen followed by Kp

I did not yet perform the workaround to get 10.8.x running on MP 1.1 because it seems that even with ML on MP1.1 the same problems occur. Correct ?

Until now I don't see a way to get a hd 7950 running on MP1.1 unfortunately !

Did you get it running on MP1.1 and 10.8.x or 10.9 ?
nightlion

« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2013, 04:09:31 AM »

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help answer a relatively simple question. This isn't really my area of expertise, so I've tried to read through the entire thread before posting this question. I would like to purchase this card for my Mac Pro: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 11196-16-20G. This is the PC version and about $150 cheaper than the mac version. If i get this card, will the script/flash work to have the card run pretty decently? I saw some conversation about only receiving 2.5 GT/s instead of 5 GT/s. Is this for all 7950 cards? Someone else mentioned that in order to get past that speed, I would need to buy the Sapphire card. Would that apply to the Sapphire for PC version or just the Mac version?
Also, last question, would there be a better card to get? $350 is a lot of cash and if I can buy something better, i might as well. Smiley

jimj
Not Newbie

« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help answer a relatively simple question. This isn't really my area of expertise, so I've tried to read through the entire thread before posting this question. I would like to purchase this card for my Mac Pro: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 11196-16-20G. This is the PC version and about $150 cheaper than the mac version. If i get this card, will the script/flash work to have the card run pretty decently? I saw some conversation about only receiving 2.5 GT/s instead of 5 GT/s. Is this for all 7950 cards? Someone else mentioned that in order to get past that speed, I would need to buy the Sapphire card. Would that apply to the Sapphire for PC version or just the Mac version?
Also, last question, would there be a better card to get? $350 is a lot of cash and if I can buy something better, i might as well. Smiley

The closest card to the Mac edition is the:
SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 WITH BOOST (21196-00), though the version you posted should work too; I've never tried that one though. Unless there is a specific reason for the model you listed I would recommend the other as a "safer" choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-Graphics-21196-00-20G/dp/B00BXVFM3K/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379350754&sr=1-2&keywords=sapphire+7950+boost

The 2.5 GT vs 5.0 GT is all of the non-Mac cards as far as I know, but the change to enable 5.0 GT is very easy.

The 7950 is a decent card; I like it a lot. That said, if you require CUDA support this card won't help. It seems like decent bang for the buck for OpenCL support.
Your intended use will dictate whether this card is a good choice or not...

-JimJ
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:03:00 PM by jimj » Logged
BambooMonster

« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »

3. If you COMBINE your PC BIOS with the EFI from Mac 7950 and flash your card (hint...look at title of the thread) you will have a card that runs at the PC BIOS speeds in Windows & OSX but still runs at PCIE 2.5 GT/s in both.

Hi, I've been researching this thread for a while and am very thankful for all the work you do. I have a question though.

Yesterday, I installed a Gigabyte 7950 WF3 in my 2010 Mac Pro with no issues. Removed R17 for the PCIE 5 GT/s. However, I can't seem to figure out how to add EFI to my original PC BIOS. I have my original PC BIOS saved, but when I go into Zeus to add EFI, the highest model video card it allows me to add EFI is ATI 6870. Should I be using 6870 EFI on my original PC BIOS or is there something I'm missing in my Zeus tool? Or do I must use this script to put EFI on? I'm a dumby and do not understand how to do the "cat readme" stuff in the original post

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:39:50 PM by BambooMonster » Logged
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »

You wouldn't want to do that as it could cause OSX 10.9 to panic on boot
BambooMonster

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2013, 01:51:37 PM »

I'm a complete noob. I didn't even know how to run a script and was having difficulty interpreting the instructions on how to use the script, but with some Google look-ups I managed to figure it out myself.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3712/9945130044_c7fc8a3142_b.jpg

Even if you are not tech savvy and are considered the last person to be a DIYer (like afraid to do anything yourself and just pay premium for piece of mind), like myself, I would recommend this procedure to get your PC 7950 GPU working with full features in a Mac to save some good money. Also for those who are on the fence when it comes to removing the R17 resistor for 5GT/s link speed using a tiny screwdriver, it's not as scary as it seems - and it's surprisingly easy. As previously mentioned by other posters, only a small nudge is required to get it off, the method I used was pick away at the R17 consecutively very lightly (rather than applying more pressure in a single nudge). After a few picks, the thing popped off. I would recommend this way because if you concentrate on a single nudge with more force, you could lose your position, by accident, and scrape off some other thing on the board (I almost did this when I first attempted to remove R17, thank God I missed everything else on the board).

All in all, everything is running smoothly even the HDMI which was a surprise, as in previous posts, some users reported that HDMI does not work unless plugged in after boot. One thing, as mentioned by other users, that the GPU gives priority to MDP as main display during boot regardless of Display settings. Previously, with my 5870, I had my main display set to my DVI even though I had a TV plugged into the MDP, it kept my preferences while booting. With ths PC 7950, only way around it that I've found was to not use the MDP if you have the DVI as your main display. So now, I have my TV plugged into the HDMI instead of MDP and DVI for my main monitor. No big deal, as now I don't have to use the damned Moshi HDMI to MDP adaptor... Yippee.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:02:16 PM by BambooMonster » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: