netkas.org forum
May 28, 2022, 11:53:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: 7xxx rom creating test.  (Read 1284150 times)
lee young

« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »

I am a MacPro(4.1) user.

I have changed the graphic card into a gigabyte7950

so there occur errors when I change the Rom files into the Rom files for Mac.

so I can't make Rom files for Mac.

I upload the original Rom file.

If you change it into a file for Mac, I'll really appreciate.

I need your help, able men!

Please help me.

* Gigabyte HD7950.rom (128 KB - downloaded 750 times.)
cocteaustwin
Not Newbie

« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2013, 08:30:31 AM »

OK, I am trying to get my sea legs on this. I will try to give some assistance.

May I ask if you are starting with a copy of your own bios when you run netkas' script? If not, then use GPU-Z to save your bios, and then change the appropriate name of the input bios when running netkas' script.

So it would be ...
./makerom.sh --efifile=7950mac.efi --romfile=efiromheader.rom --originalrom=yoursavedbios.rom --devid=679a
(notice this is the device-id of your card which is 679a, NOT 697a as used in the example in the original post of this thread)

I will check in again in the morning to see if I can help further. I will have the time to try to find your bios and see what might help you in your quest.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:51:22 PM by cocteaustwin » Logged
jimj
Not Newbie

« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »

Okay, I have done this and it works great; however I encountered a few issues along the way.

1) Dumping your original VBIOS - I used DarwinDumer to do this under OS X

2) Netkas script - this worked flawlessly and was the easiest part.

And now the problems...

At this point I had a ROM image; how to burn it? I am running on a MacPro...
I tried booting off a MSDOS CD - I was never able to make this work holding C during the boot - always ended up in OS X.

My solution (heavy handed, but useful for other purposes):
I installed bootcamp and Windows7. Of course this led to the following problem:

Shortly after booting windows, the system would crash with a BSOD indicating a CACHE problem. A google search indicated that this is the fault of the Apple driver to read HFS partitions. To fix, you must remove /windows/system32/drivers/AppleHFS.sys - the only problem - the system would crash before I could do this! Further experiments indicated that my software RAID volume was the cause, so I pulled those disks, rebooted, and was able to rename the offending driver. I could then replace the disks and boot normally. Once booting into windows, it is trivial to use ATI winFlash to burn the ROM image.

All is working perfectly now, although I cannot browse my HFS volumes from windows due to the bug in the HFS driver.

I am using the Sapphire 7950 with boost (model 21196). I removed R17 (not marked on these boards, match the pictures in the howto PCIe 2.0 thread) and have the best of all worlds now:

Clocked at 925Mhz, 5GT transfers, and boot screens!

The card is great, although under load the fan is a bit noisy and blows a lot of hot air...

To remove the resistor, I used a jeweler's screwdriver to gently pry it off. It does not take much force at all.

Good luck to all!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:57:49 PM by jimj » Logged
cocteaustwin
Not Newbie

« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »

Okay, I have done this and it works great; however I encountered a few issues along the way.

1) Dumping your original VBIOS - I used DarwinDumer to do this under OS X

2) Netkas script - this worked flawlessly and was the easiest part. ...

Sounds like many of the problems that I had. I just could never use atiwinflash in the Windows 7 or Windows 8 environments. (I would still like to understand why since what should have been a simple procedure ended up taking days of reinstalling operating systems, reformatting and restoring hard drives and the like.

I am tempted to try removing my R17 on my XFX 7970, but I am a little hesitant to try yet. But I am sure a few beers might make it less daunting  Wink
blacksheep

« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »

Few beers could also make your hands and eyes less precise and you could remove more than one resistor with one move Cheesy
wispy007
Not Newbie

« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »

Ok, I'm a simple guy who needs some help.....

Where and how do I run the Netkas script? I'm assuming this is done on mac os side judging by JimJ's post?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
jimj
Not Newbie

« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »

Ok, I'm a simple guy who needs some help.....

Where and how do I run the Netkas script? I'm assuming this is done on mac os side judging by JimJ's post?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, this script is run from the command line (e.g. the terminal application under utilities) on your Mac OS X system. The instructions are in the very first post of this thread.

If you use the "DarwinDumper" tool to get your original vBIOS like I did, DarwinDumper will embed the PCIe DeviceID in the file name. This is the chip identifier for the particular chip used in your video card - different cards may use different variants of the chip family and this indicates which one. In my case this was 679a, but your card may use a different chip.

Assuming you put the netkas scripts and your vBIOS file in the same directory and you "cd" to that directory via the command line of the terminal app, you would just type the following command:

./makerom.sh --efifile=7950mac.efi --romfile=efiromheader.rom --originalrom=<the name of your vBIOS file goes here> --devid=<the DeviceID of your card goes here>

So, for my system I renamed my vBIOS file to "679a.rom", so this is the exact command I typed:

./makerom.sh --efifile=7950mac.efi --romfile=efiromheader.rom --originalrom=679a.rom --devid=679a

Good luck,
-JimJ

wispy007
Not Newbie

« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

Ok,

Managed to create the rom and downloaded atiwinflash. Followed the methods detailed on other boards to flash the rom...It's a no go!

I get a message saying that "no valid adaptor could be found" :-(

Checked the the video card properties and it see's it ok in device 0.

Tried forcing flash...no go. Checked the bios switch was in position 1...It was :-(

Tried searching the internet for hours for a solution but can't find anything to get past this annoying message!

Someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what I need to do to complete the process.

Thanks.

jimj
Not Newbie

« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »

Ok,

Managed to create the rom and downloaded atiwinflash. Followed the methods detailed on other boards to flash the rom...It's a no go!

I get a message saying that "no valid adaptor could be found" :-(

Checked the the video card properties and it see's it ok in device 0.

Tried forcing flash...no go. Checked the bios switch was in position 1...It was :-(

Tried searching the internet for hours for a solution but can't find anything to get past this annoying message!

Someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what I need to do to complete the process.

Thanks.

What is the EXACT card you are using? (a link to the manufacturer's web page would be great...)

What kind of machine are you running on (real mac or hackintosh, model number)?

How are you running windows?

-JimJ
wispy007
Not Newbie

« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »

Thanks for your help JimJ :-)

I have the sapphire radeon 7950 with boost (SKU: 21196-00-20G), this is the one:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1878&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

I believe this is the same as yours? Running bootcamp windows 7 (32bit) on a 4.1 mac pro 3.33ghz.

Confirming the bios switch is in position one when trying to flash, what position was yours in when you flashed your card?

Are there any other flashing programs i could use?

Thanks for your help.

jimj
Not Newbie

« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »

Thanks for your help JimJ :-)

I have the sapphire radeon 7950 with boost (SKU: 21196-00-20G), this is the one:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1878&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

I believe this is the same as yours? Running bootcamp windows 7 (32bit) on a 4.1 mac pro 3.33ghz.

Confirming the bios switch is in position one when trying to flash, what position was yours in when you flashed your card?

Are there any other flashing programs i could use?

Thanks for your help.

Okay, your setup is incredibly similar to mine. Exact same video card. I have a 4.1 mac pro flashed to 5.1 firmware and run 2x3.33ghz.

Differences: My bootcamp setup is Windows7 professional 64 bit.

Are you using the latest version of ATI WinFlash? I used version 2.3.0 from techpowerup: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2232/ati-winflash-2-3-0/

As to the bios switch setting, I never touched it and never looked at it. It was in whatever position the factory left it in.

My suspicion is that you may be using an older version of ATI WinFlash. I don't think 32 bit windows vs 64 bit windows matters.

There are other tools for bios flashing (DOS command line), but WinFlash is easiest. Did winflash display your card at all?

-JimJ
wispy007
Not Newbie

« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »

JimJ,

It turns out I was using the wrong version of ATI Winflash, downloaded the latest version and it reported it flashed my rom successfully. I restarted the computer as instructed by win flash, then I booted back into os x from windows but still no boot screen & the system profiler still shows Radeon 7XXX.

So it looks like my rom was not created correctly....

If your card is the same as mine do you think your modified rom would work with my card?

Regards
wispy007
Not Newbie

« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »

Further to my above post I tried to re-create the rom again, it looks like something is not right.

There are a couple of "No such File Or Directory statements about a quarter of the way down, could this be the problem?

I have Python installed but I'm not sure what part this plays in creating the rom, is there something special I have to do with it? So far I have entered the script into the terminal but the rom it is creating seems to be no different from the original.

Can someone walk me through the exact steps required to create the modified rom in os x?

Thanks.

* Rom Creation.png (28.72 KB, 536x462 - viewed 2031 times.)
jimj
Not Newbie

« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »

Further to my above post I tried to re-create the rom again, it looks like something is not right.

There are a couple of "No such File Or Directory statements about a quarter of the way down, could this be the problem?

I have Python installed but I'm not sure what part this plays in creating the rom, is there something special I have to do with it? So far I have entered the script into the terminal but the rom it is creating seems to be no different from the original.

Can someone walk me through the exact steps required to create the modified rom in os x?

Thanks.

That is definitely the problem - a successful ROM creation will not have any "No such File Or Directory" errors in it.

One of three things is going on here...

1) You did not put your ROM image in the same directory as the tool scripts
OR
2) You did not run the scripts from the current working directory (e.g. you did not 'cd' to the right directory)
OR
3) You have a space in the volume or path names to the directory and the script cannot handle them.

My bet is on #3, this is a common mistake in scripting to not be able to handle paths with embedded spaces. Try renaming your disk (temporarily) to something simple like "MacHD" and move the script and all the associated files to "/tmp", then "cd /tmp" and see if it works.

If you cannot get the ROM creation to work without error, I can post my ROM image tonight, but it is safer to make your own.

-JimJ
wispy007
Not Newbie

« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »

Success!

I think there was a space at the beginning of the script, all good now though. Removed the R17 resistor and now have 5GT/s!

Thanks again JimJ
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: