netkas.org forum
December 02, 2020, 06:59:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: 7xxx rom creating test.  (Read 1076308 times)
GP-SE

« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »

I think they need to work with the OSX drivers, in windows my res. is perfect (max 1080p), osx it thinks max res is 2560-by-1440. I thought it was a firmware bug at first, but it's clearly a driver issue since windows detects my max supported res, whereas OSX doesn't and sets it to 2560-by-1440.

Hopefully they release new drivers to fix that issue, and fix the 32-bit drivers for OSX.
vidkidd
Not Newbie

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2013, 07:10:45 PM »

Haven't had the time to flash yet.   HDMI works, just not on BOOT.  Needs a hot-plug-in to initialize the port.  Took all about 30 seconds a week ago to troubleshoot when the display did't show up on reboot.  Once initialized, it stays active.  After reboot, it's hot-plug-detect to get it to show up again.

I'm also seeing wrong resolutions getting set on a DVI-DL active mdp adapter.   The system "thinks" it' sending 1080P to a display, but it's a lower resolution that has black borders around the edge.  Using QuickRes eliminates the issue. 

Hi, had some guys from a local post house drop off some 7970s for EFI flash and 5.0 enable.

I have discovered that the non-reference 7950/70 cards have similar output ports, but the HDMI port isn't functional both pre & post flash.

Can everyone running a 7xxx card check their HDMI and report back?

The end result is that these cards currently only run 3 displays whereas the reference cards run 4.

It may be possible to find another personality or rom mod to enable 4 but would be good to gather info here first.
DanielCoffey
Not Newbie

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

I don't ge HDMI working on mine even if I hot-plug it I am afraid. Just tried it now and still get No Signal reported by the TV.
dnbblah
Not Newbie

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2013, 11:00:23 PM »

I don't ge HDMI working on mine even if I hot-plug it I am afraid. Just tried it now and still get No Signal reported by the TV.

Same for me here.. but even mine is a reference card, gonna test more tmr but looks like its not workin.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:27:22 PM by dnbblah » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »

Haven't had the time to flash yet.   HDMI works, just not on BOOT.  Needs a hot-plug-in to initialize the port.  Took all about 30 seconds a week ago to troubleshoot when the display did't show up on reboot.  Once initialized, it stays active.  After reboot, it's hot-plug-detect to get it to show up again.

I'm also seeing wrong resolutions getting set on a DVI-DL active mdp adapter.   The system "thinks" it' sending 1080P to a display, but it's a lower resolution that has black borders around the edge.  Using QuickRes eliminates the issue. 

Hi, had some guys from a local post house drop off some 7970s for EFI flash and 5.0 enable.

I have discovered that the non-reference 7950/70 cards have similar output ports, but the HDMI port isn't functional both pre & post flash.

The end result is that these cards currently only run 3 displays whereas the reference cards run 4.

It may be possible to find another personality or rom mod to enable 4 but would be good to gather info here first.

I have tried a variety of these cards now.

Some have working HDMI, some do not.

By reference I mean the standard factory fan with fan at one end and output of heat near DVI ports. These seem to have better likelihood of having all 4 ports working.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
vidkidd
Not Newbie

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2013, 02:00:10 AM »

Scrounging through the video cards at NewEgg, I documented there are two different PCB's in use:  One with the chips pm the back near the top of the card aligned to horizontal and vertical orientation - same as the sapphire mac card.  And one with chips on a 45 degree angle.  

IMO, they look like 2 revisions of a reference design as too many oems use both layouts.  

I am running a gigabyte card with the chips not-horizontally aligned.  HDMI works on that one with hot-plug-in after boot up.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:01:56 AM by vidkidd » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2013, 04:33:51 AM »

I don't think you understand what "refrence design"means.

GPU manufacturer comes up with a design for new GPU. They create ONE (1) design for it and hand it to manufacturing partners.

That is the card that gets made and most companies will be selling the very same card with different stickers for some time.

But since we all know that prices must drop over a products life, each company starts finding ways to save a few pennies. Leave a phase out of the power circuit, fewer TMDS units, etc. They try to retain the basic functionality of the card while lowering costs.

Apple cards are almost always reference designs with some mods for Apple's needs. The 7xxx cards have been out for some time now. The bulk of the ones at Newegg are no longer refrence but 2nd or 3rd gen ones. And apparently one of the variations leads to no HDMI. The cards I have found with 4 working ports have standard coolers. The ones that have cheaper coolers with fan in middle or multiple fans don't have HDMI.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
vidkidd
Not Newbie

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »

Ummm. I would hope so considering the platforms I've designed and developed against. Shocked   Asus has always been known to through reference designs to the wind and come up with some great products.   My note on the two different board layouts was that it was not limited to one manufacturer, as with Asus designs, but that it was across all of the OEM's who are leveraging the designs from AMD.   There may have been a revision along the way, perhaps for better support for BOOST or??

Yes... Apple cards dating back to ATI were base on reference design cards, and most if not all of them were built by Sapphire for AMD.  The 2600xt was custom as it had a larger rom to accommodate.. blag blah blah...     Thanks for clarifying, you are referring to cost-cut reference designs  - the ever race to the bottom.

I don't think you understand what "refrence design"means.

GPU manufacturer comes up with a design for new GPU. They create ONE (1) design for it and hand it to manufacturing partners.

That is the card that gets made and most companies will be selling the very same card with different stickers for some time.

But since we all know that prices must drop over a products life, each company starts finding ways to save a few pennies. Leave a phase out of the power circuit, fewer TMDS units, etc. They try to retain the basic functionality of the card while lowering costs.

Apple cards are almost always reference designs with some mods for Apple's needs. The 7xxx cards have been out for some time now. The bulk of the ones at Newegg are no longer refrence but 2nd or 3rd gen ones. And apparently one of the variations leads to no HDMI. The cards I have found with 4 working ports have standard coolers. The ones that have cheaper coolers with fan in middle or multiple fans don't have HDMI.
Pete248
Not Newbie

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »

So you've managed to enable 5.0 on 7970s.

Have you managed to do it as well on 7950?
dnbblah
Not Newbie

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »

I have tried a variety of these cards now.

Some have working HDMI, some do not.

By reference I mean the standard factory fan with fan at one end and output of heat near DVI ports. These seem to have better likelihood of having all 4 ports working.

Good to clarify this, with reference i meant the reference PCB which my card definitely has:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

its a blue PCB with AMD reference design, the only difference is the custom made cooler, which is why i picked that card, as mentioned its harder to get this card these days because it seems to be kinda an A-Revision with a reference 7950 PCB, whilst manufacturers switch over to 7970 PCBs for 7950 cards or custom designs to save some pennys..

Rominator

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2013, 10:56:04 PM »

Ummm. I would hope so considering the platforms I've designed and developed against. Shocked   Asus has always been known to through reference designs to the wind and come up with some great products.   My note on the two different board layouts was that it was not limited to one manufacturer, as with Asus designs, but that it was across all of the OEM's who are leveraging the designs from AMD.   There may have been a revision along the way, perhaps for better support for BOOST or??

Yes... Apple cards dating back to ATI were base on reference design cards, and most if not all of them were built by Sapphire for AMD.  The 2600xt was custom as it had a larger rom to accommodate.. blag blah blah...     Thanks for clarifying, you are referring to cost-cut reference designs  - the ever race to the bottom.

OK, one more time. You seem to have the unique gift of typing alot of words without saying anything.

AMD introduced 7950/70 with a SINGLE REFERENCE BOARD

Various manufacturers first sold that design, all the same, then as time went on they revised them.

So there IS ONE SINGLE REFERENCE DESIGN FOR ANY GIVEN GPU.

Everything after that is a revision, usually to reduce parts count or costs.

We are trying to figure out which cards have the HDMI issue so we need to be accurate and not keep typing a bunch of gobbledy gook. A card is either a reference design or it isn't.

The usual sign is that a reference board will have "AMD" printed on front of PCB, just above the gold connectors.

It is my assertion that refrence boards have working HDMI and the revision boards do not.

dnbblah
Not Newbie

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2013, 11:22:19 PM »

We are trying to figure out which cards have the HDMI issue so we need to be accurate and not keep typing a bunch of gobbledy gook. A card is either a reference design or it isn't.

The usual sign is that a reference board will have "AMD" printed on front of PCB, just above the gold connectors.

It is my assertion that refrence boards have working HDMI and the revision boards do not.

I'm gonna test the hot plug again on my card just to make sure.. AMD imprint i have, indeed. I gonna test the OC-Bios without EFI flash as well just in case..(bios-switch).
I gonna report soon.

Edit:

@Romi,
i tested my card, and interestingly my HDMI works on the unflashed OC-Bios, i havn't tried to flash the OC-Bios for EFI nor to reflash my old bios without EFI, but an interesting find i guess..
Edit2:
I did some flashing back and forth and i figured out that using netkas script leads to a non-working HDMI. BUT. i figured out something interesting the HDMI actually works if you boot in FREE-DOS (at least for me..),
so i guess maybe it is connected to the resolution errors some ppl might have after the flash?
My HDTV can't show a resolution of 2500x.. so maybe thats why it stays black.. (it says it gets an input but presents a black screen..)

Maybe someone can test HDMI on a monitor which has HDMI  and can handle a high resolution like the ACDs, eg. the dell 27 inch.?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:17:05 AM by dnbblah » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »

When flashed with EFI the card uses Hamachi framebuffer personality. It might be possible that another FB will give working HDMI.

When not flashed the card liely shows up as "Radeon 7xxx" and might be using generic FB.

I just tested on a card with BIOS switch.

When using no EFI and running as "Radeon 7xxx" the HDMI works.

When switching to the EFI side the card loses HDMI.

Hopefully there is another FB that will enable HDMI.

Might be time to see what the Hack crowd is using.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:52:30 AM by Rominator » Logged

Pete248
Not Newbie

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

So you've managed to enable 5.0 on 7970s.

Have you managed to do it as well on 7950?

David,

is it so hard to answer this easy question?

Ok, I answer for you.  Wink

On Ebay macvidcards, aka Rominator, sells a HIS 7950 with 5.0 GT/s.

So obviously you know how to unlock 5.0 GT/s on the 7950 as well.

Really don't get it why there is so much mystery mongering about this 'find the right resistor to resolder game' here as well as on MacRumors. I mean Netkas contributed the Efi rom to the community, so everybody using it should honor this and contribute his work/findings as well. I.e. that is the soul of all GPL flavors and the core of any community.

And of cause everybody who uses either should donate!

netkas
Administrator

« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »

Well, you can stop pry out 5.0 fix out of Rominator, as it's obvious he won't answer, because he doesn't want.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: