netkas.org forum
June 25, 2022, 11:11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: 7xxx rom creating test.  (Read 1293716 times)
TableSyrup
Not Newbie

« Reply #480 on: November 05, 2015, 09:32:55 PM »

I also read that the command prompt version will not work with 128k roms.... I dunno.

I am not having any luck though. at all. booooooo. all I've been able to do so far is get my original rom backed up.
TableSyrup
Not Newbie

« Reply #481 on: November 06, 2015, 02:33:05 AM »

No matter what I try I cannot get ATIflash to work. been on this ALL DAY

Could use some help. pretty please
TableSyrup
Not Newbie

« Reply #482 on: November 06, 2015, 05:34:22 AM »

Also booted straight to DOS with USB stick... same thing
TableSyrup
Not Newbie

« Reply #483 on: November 06, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »

So... I was thinking it had to do with my Windows install on the Mac being XP, and not via Bootcamp.
Not sure why the PC I setup wouldn't do it via DOS Bootable USB.... maybe too old a machine.

At any rate, I called a local computer shop, they said come on by and use one of their machines.

Less than 5 minutes, and a total of a $10 tip later, bam. done.

Same exact procedure, and DOS USB I was using at my place.... worked flawlessly on the first attempt.

So.... there ya have it. BIG THANK YOU to those that make this stuff possible (ATIflash, Netkas, Rominator, all other contributing members)

Believe me when I tell you I did my reading and research, and plenty of trial, prior to my posting.
So, I do apologize for any chaos. lol.
I did understand 'how to do it' .... and was at a total loss as to why it didn't work, at least on the PC that I used.... but... it was something to do with the card not being seen in that PC... seriously crappy machine.... so who knows... lol

I do have a follow up question for the future.

Those of you that do this on your Mac Pro. How are you booting into DOS? If so, How?

On a Mac Pro... are you using ATIWinFlash via Windows 7 or newer?
I imagine ATIWinFlash wasn't working for me for one of two reasons.... 1, because I was on XP? 2, because my install was not via BootCamp, and was also missing BootCamp drivers in the Windows install.

At any rate.... working flawlessly, PCI System report displays the card (twice though... I'll research why).
I flashed with the 7950 Mac Edition ROM. DVI, and both mDP working.
I had already removed R17, and the card is working at 5 GT/s

Happy camper here. Thanks!
studiosamurai

« Reply #484 on: November 07, 2015, 11:24:43 PM »

Grin Grin Grin  WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!!  Grin Grin Grin

Reference MSI 7970 OC edition (1050mhz clock) 2PMD3GD5 boots with full bootscreens, reporting correctly (having used hexfiend to change 7950 to 7970 as per SamPotts suggestion), the works.

I am indescribably happy with this, thank you so much to Netkas and Rominator for this fix, and also to SamPotts and smjones for your feedback and assistance that made sure I didn't screw it up!

I followed the instructions very carefully and it went perfectly. The only thing I NEARLY screwed up which I didn't see anywhere in this thread, that the veterans know but a relative newbie such as myself might have missed is that the 7970 has a dual BIOS dip switch, which MUST BE IN POSITION 1 for this to work. My card arrived with it in position 2 (locked factory rom) and at first I dumped that ROM, so had to re-dump the rom after switching to BIOS 1 before patching/flashing.

I am a very happy samurai.

Pic related

Guys, I've had some bad luck and I'm looking for a little advice  Sad Sad Sad

As of about 5 days ago, my 7970 which has been sitting happily in my 2,1 since January seems to be borked.

My mac just decided to reboot one day and when the card tries to boot on the 2,1 I get lots of staggered horizontal lines in vertical columns and it doesn't boot.

I took the thing apart and re-applied some arctic silver to the GPU and the colour of the lines changed but they're in the same pattern.  Sad Huh Sad
I can still see the apple logo from the EFI while it's booting, and here's the interesting thing:

I threw it in a friends old 4,1 that I'm borrowing (8 core 2.26, 16GB Ram) along with an old drive I had with an install of 10.7.5 and I get EXACTLY the same symptoms, but interestingly
I can boot through to the OS fine and the thing still posts as a 7970 fine in 'About This Mac'. It seems to work fine, except for the fact that it's almost completely useless!

I thought about oven re-flowing it but from doing a little reading it looks like it might be the VRAM, and the fact that it boots into ML makes me wonder if sticking it in the oven is a bad idea.

I'm currently trying to boot into bootcamp to see if I can underclock the thing, but for some reason my bootcamp drive doesn't seem to be bootable in the new machine :/

And lets say in dreamland I manage to get into MSI afterburner and turn things down and that does away with my evil lines, will I need to re-flash for the new clock speeds to stick when I'm in OSX?

Do any of you guys have any idea if I can save my beloved 7970? I was so happy with it !

Halp plox X
studiosamurai

« Reply #485 on: November 11, 2015, 04:09:37 AM »

Well guys I never would have believed it if I hadn't have just done it myself.

My borked 7970 that I told you about (if anyone even saw).

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I did the r17 mod and chucked it in the 4,1.

Nothing.

Then I thought screw it and baked the bastard at Gas Mark 5 for precisely 10 minutes and 20 seconds, let it cool for half and hour, chucked some Arctic silver on the chip, reseated the thermal pads and put the cooler back on.

It's only gone and BLOODY WELL REVIVED THE CARD COMPLETELY!!  Grin Grin Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin

I realise that this may well be a temporary fix, but I am very happy to be up and running again! And at 5.0 Gt/s to boot!!

My jaw hit the floor when the rig booted. First thing I did was run Heaven and got 680 (not a bad improvement over the GTX 650 2GB I was using as a stop-gap that clocked in at 280)

Is 680 good? I think I'm still in shock.

Anyways, Yay!!!

Pic related.

* Unigine_Heaven_Benchmark_4.0_20151111_0258.html (2.74 KB - downloaded 716 times.)
LAGRUNAUER
Not Newbie

« Reply #486 on: November 15, 2015, 09:20:34 AM »

Surprise !!!

Don't say we never did anything for you guys.

BTW, here's the 7950 rom

It works on MOST 7950 and 7970 cards, but make 100% certain that you have backed up your original before flashing.

When flashed to a 7970 you lose some speed.

I picked up a flashed Sapphire 7970R on Craigslist. It shows the Apple boot screen, and works perfectly but the link speed is only 2.5 although it has the R17 removed. Do you know why would this be happening?

Thanks so much in advanced!

LG
Rominator

« Reply #487 on: November 16, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »

Either you have a 1,1 Mac or resistor not removed correctly

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
LAGRUNAUER
Not Newbie

« Reply #488 on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »

Thanks so much Rominator...

It is hooked up to a Mac Pro 5,1 running the latest version of Yosemite. Looked up the location of the R17 on the back of the PCB with a 10X magnifying lens, and the board has it removed... The Mac OS system profiler still shows it with link speed of 2.5... I have no clue of why this still happening... Other than this, it works with no issues...

Thanks again...
LAGRUNAUER
Not Newbie

« Reply #489 on: November 17, 2015, 08:16:26 AM »

Either you have a 1,1 Mac or resistor not removed correctly

Thanks so much Rominator...

It is hooked up to a Mac Pro 5,1 running the latest version of Yosemite. Looked up the location of the R17 on the back of the PCB with a 10X magnifying lens, and the board has it completely removed... The Mac OS system profiler still shows it with link speed of 2.5... I ran the lspci -vv and confirmed 2.5 link speed, but the board shows up as "unknown". I have no clue of why this still happening...

Other than this, it works with no issues...

Thanks again...
Rominator

« Reply #490 on: November 18, 2015, 01:17:10 AM »

Please post a pic of resistor area.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
LAGRUNAUER
Not Newbie

« Reply #491 on: November 22, 2015, 02:27:48 AM »

Please post a pic of resistor area.
Please see attached photo showing the R-17 resistor removed...

Thanks again!

* R17.jpg (230.14 KB, 1252x931 - viewed 1925 times.)
ohio2012

« Reply #492 on: November 24, 2015, 01:33:48 AM »

I have done 2 @ 280X with a single DP.

One would not be stable in OS X pre or post flash. It occasionally made it to desktop but would always crash soon after. Even with flashed EFI it would never be a good mac card.

The 2nd one I got as a flash job and expected failure. Oddly, it worked fine. I don'y recall model or brand but I no longer take single DP ones as flash jobs and just tell people to avoid.

Same with XFX 280Xs, even with Dual DP. I had one batch work fine, next were junk. Reference PCB cards always best, even with wacky fans.

After furiously trying to flash a Asus R9 280x (single DP) to no avail (including bricking it once and having the short the DI-GND terminals), I've found this post...

First attempt I ended up getting the boot screen, but crashed before OS X loaded.  Second try I got no video at all, but through screen sharing saw that my computer detected the card perfectly, but had no video..  Wont talk about the 3rd attempt....womp womp.

Oh well...  
brockbackups
Not Newbie

« Reply #493 on: November 30, 2015, 09:00:40 AM »

Just wanted everyone to know that got my Gigabyte 3Gb 7970 working perfectly in my new MacPro5,1 with 5.0GTs

Thanks to everyone on this forum.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:08:31 PM by brockbackups » Logged
donjames
Not Newbie

« Reply #494 on: December 15, 2015, 12:46:49 AM »

Hi folks,

Is there a 7950 rom image that works with the macpro 1,1 and macpro 2,1?

I have been searching this forum topic and the only rom I can find is one that works with the later model Macpros.

Thanks,

donjames
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:25:03 AM by donjames » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: