netkas.org forum
October 15, 2019, 01:07:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with creating Apple HD5770 Hybrid ROM  (Read 41641 times)
rotten_apple
Not Newbie

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »

I'm looking for the original Apple 5770 ROM so I can compare it to a PC ATI 5770 ROM (from techpowerup database) that has display port configuration of: (2xDVI 1xDP and 1xHDMI)

In case something goes wrong and you end up misflashing your stock Mac Pro card, here is a list of the ROM's with downloads that i'm putting together for people to use. I'm going to complete it over time as I bring the ROM's together.

These are stock Intel roms ONLY, not custom ones. Any help for getting the stock roms that I don't have here yet is greatly appreciated! Also, do let me know if anything seems to be wrong with any of these roms, like if I get the wrong one.

Some of these I have personally dumped from Mac cards, some I have found around the internet.
As far as I personally care, you can do whatever you want with these ROM's. They're Nvidia's, not mine.

-Apple HD 5770
(ROM Needed, searching...)
Can flash: NONE. Use one of the custom roms instead for PC 5770s. Please go to one of the applicable threads for info on flashing these.

-Apple HD 5870
(ROM Needed, searching...)
Can flash: NONE. Use one of the custom roms instead for PC 5870s. Please go to one of the applicable threads for flashing these.

In this post on the forums the original Apple 5770 & 5870 ROMS are not present. Please give me a link to work with. I want to fiddle with some of the connector ID table values on the PC ROM and see if I can do anything to fix the problems your ROM has in Windows.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:38:46 PM by rotten_apple » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 06:00:55 AM »

they are in the threads, you just have to look

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
rotten_apple
Not Newbie

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »

Grin Found it! (Only took me a minute with the search bar.)

OEM Apple 5770 ROM file!

and just for reference...

Source: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,812.0.html

For any one else too lazy to actually look Tongue

* Apple.bin (128 KB - downloaded 397 times.)
rotten_apple
Not Newbie

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 06:01:37 AM »

Okay so I flashed my Apple 5770's with the edited port routing. I still have the 2 unneeded routings in the BIOS however. With the edited routings, all my displays and ports work in OS X no problem, in Windows it is a different story. I only have VGA over DVI on both cards.

Any ideas? Did I miss something?

Thanks guys!

Very exciting progress !!!

Idealy you would find the ENTIRE STRUCTURE that defines display outputs.

This would be considered a table, and likely has a string that delineates it's beginning and end. In a perfect world you would figure out these boundaries and replace the whole thing. This may be possible by opening it in Ida Hexrays (The Netkas route) or by seeing patterns (how I frequently do stuff)

I start looking at a ROM and see regular recurring things like "82 70 45 E8" (I just made that up, don't look for it) breaking up sections of rom, and frequently in Nvidia roms, a section ends with "72". But IDA might be a better way to go.

Another though would be to turn that BIOS decode on the Mac and PC 4870 ROMs and see if you can notice the table's beginning and end by comparing to 5870 or even 5770. There are many ways to figure things out, sometimes it is just luck. Sometimes you need to spend hours trying minute changes, but you can solve this.

This thread perfectly proves a point I was trying to make in another thread and I will be linking to this.

Thank you so much for doing this work, most people tack some roms on here and expect someone else to do the legwork. Nice to see that people can do their own work with some coaching.

Please post your rom at it's current state, may help someone working on Digital boot screens with flashed cards.

Thanks again and good luck !!!

I'm actually trying to get flashed cards to boot with DVI, but no matter what combinations of values I try in the Connector ID table I cannot get the cards to work. I don't think the connector ID table is doing much in getting DVI boot on non-apple cards. Are there similar tables in the EFI portion?? Correct me if I'm wrong but I did work on this for a while and couldn't come up with anything.  I have no idea what to do to get DVI boot working. I need some help in the right direction.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:07:34 AM by rotten_apple » Logged
rotten_apple
Not Newbie

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »

Hi guys, been a while since I posted an update; I've been on vacation!

Anyway, I just wanted to throw an update. I got a work around in the end. After a lot of modifying of the ConnectionID table, I managed to get video out of MDP2 and DVI-D. The problem is, no matter what I did, I couldn't get each port to work independently. So the workaround is the following:

Connect to MDP2 with one display, and connect to DVI-D with another display (or the same one if you have a multiport monitor). The trick here is that BOTH ports have to have a monitor load on them. Boot to Windows and you will get a video output on both screens, however you will quickly notice that your monitors are misconfigured. I/e the system is detecting display 1 as display 2 and vice versa.

What you're doing is activating MDP2 by jacking into the DVI-D socket and you're also activating DVI-D by jacking into MDP2. Both ports support the other port respectively simply because the port mapping is incorrectly configured. This isn't an ideal solution but it is one that works. In the Catalyst software, you can force the correct resolutions of your display if they are not being displayed properly and align your display so, a little configuring in CCC is well worth it!

NOTE: You do not need two monitors, you can use one monitor with a multiport configuration, this way your output will be correct as both ports are detecting the same monitor.

I did a lot of fiddling to get this to work and this was the only result that I could achieve, it does however work and it does support Crossfire which Apple had removed from their HD5770 cards.

As far as the Mac side is concerned, there is no problem, that all works as expected, no need for multiple monitors as I have a 3up setup all 3 monitors work in OS X (will support up to 4 monitors with 2 cards, 2 work in Windows (maximum of 4 in Windows with Crossfire disabled). I have tested the Crossfire with the latest drivers and I can report that it works flawlessly. Anyway when I am back home, I will post the final rom for people to use, the current posted rom does work but is a bit flaky at times.

Hi Xenova,

I think I found something interesting for you while I was trying to get 5770 to display DVI boot. I think you have to fiddle around with the HotPlug IDs to fix your problem.

Read here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252061

Hope it helps.
newdamage1

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »

Xenova, did you post your latest rom from this project (noted in the bottom of this post)? I see the one in Reply 21, but would love to get your latest if you can post it. TIA!

Kelly

Hi guys, been a while since I posted an update; I've been on vacation!

Anyway, I just wanted to throw an update. I got a work around in the end. After a lot of modifying of the ConnectionID table, I managed to get video out of MDP2 and DVI-D. The problem is, no matter what I did, I couldn't get each port to work independently. So the workaround is the following:

Connect to MDP2 with one display, and connect to DVI-D with another display (or the same one if you have a multiport monitor). The trick here is that BOTH ports have to have a monitor load on them. Boot to Windows and you will get a video output on both screens, however you will quickly notice that your monitors are misconfigured. I/e the system is detecting display 1 as display 2 and vice versa.

What you're doing is activating MDP2 by jacking into the DVI-D socket and you're also activating DVI-D by jacking into MDP2. Both ports support the other port respectively simply because the port mapping is incorrectly configured. This isn't an ideal solution but it is one that works. In the Catalyst software, you can force the correct resolutions of your display if they are not being displayed properly and align your display so, a little configuring in CCC is well worth it!

NOTE: You do not need two monitors, you can use one monitor with a multiport configuration, this way your output will be correct as both ports are detecting the same monitor.

I did a lot of fiddling to get this to work and this was the only result that I could achieve, it does however work and it does support Crossfire which Apple had removed from their HD5770 cards.

As far as the Mac side is concerned, there is no problem, that all works as expected, no need for multiple monitors as I have a 3up setup all 3 monitors work in OS X (will support up to 4 monitors with 2 cards, 2 work in Windows (maximum of 4 in Windows with Crossfire disabled). I have tested the Crossfire with the latest drivers and I can report that it works flawlessly. Anyway when I am back home, I will post the final rom for people to use, the current posted rom does work but is a bit flaky at times.
xenova
Not Newbie

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »

Hi all, sorry for not getting back to you all sooner; I've been in and out of hospital with a rather life-threatening condition so I'm sorry that I've only just been able to settle down and reply to everyone's messages

Rotten_apple, that ink over on insanelymac is very helpful I did actually stumble across it while I was working on on modding the 5770 rom. I will look at it and see if there is any modifications I can make. I did fiddle around with the hotplug_IDs but i only ended up getting black screens out of all of my ports, not even a sync. So it's something deeper, modifying the connection_IDs alone is pretty useless in the rom as nothing good happens. I'm sure they're crossed referenced to another stack somewhere in the rom that actually contains the connection layout of the monitor outputs, at first i thought it was related to Hotplug_IDs but it did nothing. I am also certain there is something in the EFI layer too. If I just loaded a stock rom onto the card and modded the outputs, i did get DVI and VGA out of the DVI portbut nothing on the two MDPs.

The work around I posted at the bottom of page 2, is the only way I could get video output with the mods to the rom with the EFI layer, which is needed. I did look for a long time on how to go about correcting the connection sense and the output port IDs so that the correct port detected its own connection. I even had my friend who's every experienced in code to break it down and look at it, and even he after countless tries couldn't manage to get it to work. He couldn't find what was missing. Although he suspected that although the bios is moddable, it could be on-chip firmware thats restricting us here ie, chip FW and BIOS are designed to go hand in hand. I don't know we speculated about it but came up empty.

I recently had 2 of my mosfets pop on CPU0 rendering my machine dead, not sure what caused it, but am in the process of getting a new Mac Pro so I can't look into the BIOS's and test until then sadly.

Newdamage, I'll dig out the archived ROM I was running and I'll upload it, give me a few days as I need to find it first; i think its on my xserve raid array but cant be sure. It's been a while since I played around with the roms. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: