netkas.org forum
May 26, 2022, 02:45:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: [Tut]How to get 6950/70 WORKING in 10.8.2 (With Acceleration)  (Read 77599 times)
XxgberinxX
Not Newbie

« on: January 23, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »

Hello everyone, After 3 days of non-stop trying to get my ATI Radeon 6950HD 2GB to work, I have finally succeeded!
All Acceleration is WORKING!

Final Result:

Here are some basic steps to make your Hackintosh ready to install your 6950/70:

1. Make sure you install your hackintosh on your built-in gpu (Which has to work OOB with hackintosh) Simply pull out your 6950/70 so that it's not connects to your MOBO.

2. Install Mac OS X 10.8.2 (iAtkos ML2 or Clean install), on every boot, use GraphicsEnabler=no , Only after we get the 6950/70 to display the desktop, You may change it back.

3. Make sure that everything work properly BESIDES Your 6950/70 (Problems with other parts can cause problems later)

4. Download Oleg_Tr 6950 Kexts for 6950/70.

OK, Basic steps are done!
Now here comes the really hard part (  Wink  )

1. Use kext wizard or any kext installation program, and install all Oleg_Tr's kexts.

2. Shut down and insert your 6950/70 back to it's place in the MOBO.

3. Boot up still with the built-in card.

4. Check in 'System Report' That your 6950/70 is recognised, It should write the specific type of card you have, If you get this part working, Your good to go to next part.

5. Restart (DO NOT Shut down and boot up, It will not work), also making sure that your boot device is the build-in card.

6. MAKE SURE you have all your boot settings correct ( in org.chameleon.Boot )

7. Take your DVI/HDMI/ETC... out from it's current place (in the built-in card) and put it back to your 6950/70 slot, Of course after already booted into the desktop.

8. If resulted with a blue screen, don't move anything, Just restart!

9. Cold boot bug is still present, So be aware!

That's it, If you got the card to display the desktop, Restart and your good to go, You will NOT see anything before the login screen (black screen).

Have fun with your Card now working in 10.8.2  Smiley

useful Links:

Oleg_Tr Kexts: http://www.applelife.ru/threads/%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B4-amd-radeon-hd6970-hd6950.30669/page-10#post-302526

If you don't understand something i'll be happy to help you out, Just leave a comment Smiley

Please leave a comment if you succeeded :-)

BYYEE Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:42:09 PM by XxgberinxX » Logged
bigfede
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »

You have tu use a second Card?
XxgberinxX
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »

You have tu use a second Card?

Sadly, 6950/70 does not work OOB (You simply can't initialise the desktop), So yes you have to use a card who works OOB to initialise the desktop
bigfede
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »

my mainboard ASUS P8P67 EVO doesn't support intel GPU, so i cant get it works
XxgberinxX
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »

my mainboard ASUS P8P67 EVO doesn't support intel GPU, so i cant get it works
Do you have a Built-in card? It doesn't have to be a Intel GPU, It just has to be a card which is supported without any additional kexts.
bigfede
Not Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »

i dont have any other card! Is there any way to make it works without a second card?
XxgberinxX
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »

i dont have any other card! Is there any way to make it works without a second card?
Sadly, No...
Baaja
Not Newbie

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »

I will have to give this tutorial a try. It will be the answer to my prayers. Sadly, I can't try this method until I get home on monday. So everything works except that the cold boot bug is still present? You do not have to switch the cable between the built-in card and the 6950 every time you start the computer. Only the initial first boot?

Furthermore, does this method fix the sleep problem, can you wake from sleep?

Thanks in beforehand!
XxgberinxX
Not Newbie

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »

I will have to give this tutorial a try. It will be the answer to my prayers. Sadly, I can't try this method until I get home on monday. So everything works except that the cold boot bug is still present? You do not have to switch the cable between the built-in card and the 6950 every time you start the computer. Only the initial first boot?

Furthermore, does this method fix the sleep problem, can you wake from sleep?

Thanks in beforehand!

The acceleration on the card works, on test I've done it does it, it made the performance go x3 faster!
For the cable switch, no! The point is that when you boot it thinks your booting with a built-in card, which works OOB, but then when it boots is looking for the place the cable is and it finds it in the 6950/70, so it uses it.
Sleep is a bug known with the kexts used in this tutorial, I also have a problematic mother board which doesn't support it very well.. You can try out sleep enablers and see if it works, if it does ill add it to the tutorial!
Cold still present but that's a bug with ATI drivers and no solution was found yet!

Your welcome! Smiley
MAC_PCUSER

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »

Thanks for the tut. But it doesn't let me download the link for Oleg_Tr's kexts. How can i download this? Am i understanding this correctly? That this method will work only with GPU onboard in mobo such as Sandy and Ivy? Huh
mariush
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »

But like thats its not possible to dualboot with Windows 7 right? At least you dont know when to hit they key to select windows to boot.
I hope with 10.8.3 the drivers will be fixed and also possible to use with hackintosh.
XxgberinxX
Not Newbie

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »

Thanks for the tut. But it doesn't let me download the link for Oleg_Tr's kexts. How can i download this? Am i understanding this correctly? That this method will work only with GPU onboard in mobo such as Sandy and Ivy? Huh
To download it register to their site, and to make this work you have to have a built-in card such as the intel HD graphics 3000/4000, or any other which work OOB with Mac.
XxgberinxX
Not Newbie

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »

But like thats its not possible to dualboot with Windows 7 right? At least you dont know when to hit they key to select windows to boot.
I hope with 10.8.3 the drivers will be fixed and also possible to use with hackintosh.
I really have no idea about dual booting with windows, I it should work the same? Sorry I don't have an answer  Undecided
Baaja
Not Newbie

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »

4. Check in 'System Report' That your 6950/70 is recognised, It should write the specific type of card you have, If you get this part working, Your good to go to next part.

BYYEE Cheesy

Here is where my problem arises! :/ Unfortunately, I boot up with the built in after I've installed Oleg's kext and put in the 6950. However, I get kernel panic at the Apple wheel. I thought, "oh, I maybe need to do a warm boot at this point, as I don't have a restart button on my chassi, I continue into Windows and restart from there (this is the same as pushing the restart button, did this on 10.7.2 with the 6950). However, it still didn't work. I get to the same point. Afterwards, I try to boot with a "-x" safeboot, and now I get into my desktop, I check the preferences...However, it doesn't recognize my videocard as specifically "6950" but only as "AMD Radeon HD 6xxx". I am stuck at this point, I will still try and continue from this stage and see where it will take me.

On another note, did you do anything with the DSDT edit that was in Oleg's upload? I have just installen the kext, as your tutorial states I should've done.

Thanks

EDIT: Okey, I have no idea how I solved it, I'm in the 10.8.2 desktop via HDMI on my 6950. However, I can see that both my video cards are working together, but the built-in (HD 3000) is acting as a small external display (but not hooked up to any display).

I'll have to say thank you! Tongue 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:32:43 PM by Baaja » Logged
XxgberinxX
Not Newbie

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

BYYEE Cheesy

Here is where my problem arises! :/ Unfortunately, I boot up with the built in after I've installed Oleg's kext and put in the 6950. However, I get kernel panic at the Apple wheel. I thought, "oh, I maybe need to do a warm boot at this point, as I don't have a restart button on my chassi, I continue into Windows and restart from there (this is the same as pushing the restart button, did this on 10.7.2 with the 6950). However, it still didn't work. I get to the same point. Afterwards, I try to boot with a "-x" safeboot, and now I get into my desktop, I check the preferences...However, it doesn't recognize my videocard as specifically "6950" but only as "AMD Radeon HD 6xxx". I am stuck at this point, I will still try and continue from this stage and see where it will take me.

On another note, did you do anything with the DSDT edit that was in Oleg's upload? I have just installen the kext, as your tutorial states I should've done.

Thanks

EDIT: Okey, I have no idea how I solved it, I'm in the 10.8.2 desktop via HDMI on my 6950. However, I can see that both my video cards are working together, but the built-in (HD 3000) is acting as a small external display (but not hooked up to any display).

I'll have to say thank you! Tongue 
I'm so glad you made it!
I had some problems regarding my CPU(I5 2500K), my fix was reinstalling, about the DSDT, I didn't say anything about adding it because I don't have a DSDT and I didn't need it!
You can see the built in card because it is using it to boot up the system, but The main thing working is the 6950/70, Have fun with your new hackintosh running 6950 :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: