netkas.org forum
November 16, 2018, 03:44:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Screens on a Mac Pro  (Read 23075 times)
jkheit
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 04:39:32 AM »

What happens when you use an apple ati card in one slot and and the eyefinity 5 in the other slot?

Just tried this.  I plugged in one 30" display into the apple/ati card.  It came up fine.  And another into the eyefinity card, and it doesnt come up.  At least the apple display shows it's power light when its plugged in, but the screen is blank, and the system pref's display doesn't show there are multiple monitors.

System Information.app shows only the one apple card as being plugged in.  Sad
jkheit
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 04:41:46 AM »

I mean what happens when you try a monitor that receives:
1. displayport input (so you go mini dp from the card to mini dp or dp on the display
2. hdmi input (like an hdtv for example) using a mini dp to hdmi adapter, which is a passive adapter
3. single link dvi input using a mini dp to dvi adapter, the passive variety
4. single link dvi input using a mini dp to dvi adapter, active adapter

we already know that your mini dp to dual link dvi (yes, these are active adapters) don't work with your current setup. Try any of the above combinations you have access to.

I see. Hmm, ok will try to see if I can get that kind of cable/screen/monitor and give it a go.  Does it really matter if the System Information doesn't even show the card as being plugged into the system.  Meaning, wouldnt it show up in the app even if there were no screens attached?
calvintml

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:07 AM »

I see. Hmm, ok will try to see if I can get that kind of cable/screen/monitor and give it a go.  Does it really matter if the System Information doesn't even show the card as being plugged into the system.  Meaning, wouldnt it show up in the app even if there were no screens attached?

No, you're right. The main issue now is that System information should still show the card. Hold off on trying these other monitor/adapter combinations.
calvintml

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 04:49:48 AM »

I think you may need to do some flashing of the card so it is recognized. I really have no exprience with Mac Pros, but I will do a bit of research for you. Anyone else, Rominator, please chime in if you have the time and some insight to share!
jkheit
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 04:54:03 AM »

I think you may need to do some flashing of the card so it is recognized. I really have no exprience with Mac Pros, but I will do a bit of research for you. Anyone else, Rominator, please chime in if you have the time and some insight to share!

Thanks for any pointers.  So I tried re-arranging the cards.  Put my Apple/ATI card in slot one, and the eyefinity 6 in slot 2.  Good news is that SystemInfo now sees it and reports the following:

Display:

Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  Slot:   Slot-2
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  Vendor:   ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:   0x68ba
  Revision ID:   0x0000
  ROM Revision:   113-C0160A-436
  Kernel Extension Info:   No Kext Loaded
  EFI Driver Version:   01.00.436

Bad news is it still isn't showing anything (I'm out of my depth, but likely because no Kext?)
calvintml

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »

Yeah, based on some initial reading, it looks like it's going to need some flashing. If you're starting to look into this too, three key things to remember

1. back up your original bios
2. you'll need to make a modification based on this original bios
3. you'll need to inject either no framebuffer or RadeonFramebuffer (not Vervet or Uakari that are injected for 5770 and 5870 respectively)
jkheit
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 05:03:23 AM »

Yeah, based on some initial reading, it looks like it's going to need some flashing. If you're starting to look into this too, three key things to remember

3. you'll need to inject either no framebuffer or RadeonFramebuffer (not Vervet or Uakari that are injected for 5770 and 5870 respectively)

I AM AN IDIOT.  Jeez.  So I bought the XFX single slot card 5770.  They sent me the Single slot 6770 (a small bit of self defense in that it came in a plain brow OEM box, but yeash, I'm dumb and blind).  My guess is this is that is going to be a weeee problem.

ARG.  Unless you guys thing the 6770 should be drop-in ready, I'm going to have to yo-yo this.  Sorry for the chain yanking. 

Thanks for the flash pointers, I suspect it still may be needed.  Will keep you updated--if only for the comedic value.

Thanks so much calvintml
calvintml

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 05:03:57 AM »

Thanks for any pointers.  So I tried re-arranging the cards.  Put my Apple/ATI card in slot one, and the eyefinity 6 in slot 2.  Good news is that SystemInfo now sees it and reports the following:

Display:

Device ID:   0x68ba
  Kernel Extension Info:   No Kext Loaded

Bad news is it still isn't showing anything (I'm out of my depth, but likely because no Kext?)

scratch everything I said about flashing the card. that is NOT why this isn't working. The reason is that this is actually a 6770 card (device id 1002 68ba). A 5770 card is 1002 68b8
calvintml

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 05:04:53 AM »

I AM AN IDIOT.  Jeez.  So I bought the XFX single slot card 5770.  They sent me the Single slot 6770 (a small bit of self defense in that it came in a plain brow OEM box, but yeash, I'm dumb and blind).  My guess is this is that is going to be a weeee problem.

ARG.  Unless you guys thing the 6770 should be drop-in ready, I'm going to have to yo-yo this.  Sorry for the chain yanking. 

Thanks for the flash pointers, I suspect it still may be needed.  Will keep you updated--if only for the comedic value.

Thanks so much calvintml

haha, i realized this from your system information post at the same time you realized by examining the card Smiley
calvintml

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 05:06:59 AM »

you can try to

A) add 68ba to all the ATI* and AMD* kexts in /S/L/E/
B) change the card's rom to have the device id 68b8

I would favor B if you have a choice. But google around maybe there are solutions for getting 6770s to work in OSX

If I remember correctly, the 6770 is practicallyl identical to the 5770
jkheit
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 05:17:46 AM »

you can try to

A) add 68ba to all the ATI* and AMD* kexts in /S/L/E/
B) change the card's rom to have the device id 68b8

I would favor B if you have a choice. But google around maybe there are solutions for getting 6770s to work in OSX

If I remember correctly, the 6770 is practicallyl identical to the 5770

Thanks, all things being equal, if the 5770's work plug-n-play, I think it's better to have those to have less issues with future updates.  Unless you think it makes more sense to do so?  Otherwise, I'm going to shake my fist (at myself first) and then at the online shop that sent the wrong item.
jkheit
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 04:36:15 AM »

haha, i realized this from your system information post at the same time you realized by examining the card Smiley

Ok, got one of the 5770's.  Still not working, but the report from systemInfo looks like this:

ATY,Hoolock:

VRAM (Total):   1024 MB
  Device ID:   0x68b8
  Displays:
Cinema HD:
  Display Type:   LCD
  Resolution:   2560 x 1600
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Display Serial Number:   CY74114QXMP
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Rotation:   Supported
VGA Display:
  Resolution:   800 x 600 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Rotation:   Supported

What is interesting is I kept my original apple/ati 5770 in slot one and just one DualLink DVI cable into the DVI port so I could boot the machine.  Although System Info shows the other card and that its running 2 displays, I actually plugged in 4 apple 30" displays via the active/mini-display port settings.

So despite having 4 displays, it only shows one as a 30", the other oddly as a vga 800x400 display?  And ignores the other 2.  I"m going to try and boot the machine with just that card and see if there are any other results.

UPDATE: And confirmed that even when the card is in slot one, by itself, with 4 screens plugged in, the screens will not light up.

Arg, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, but looks like it won't boot up and "just work" at least not on a 2010 mac pro.  Sad
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:42:46 AM by jkheit » Logged
jkheit
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 05:07:38 AM »

UPDATE: And confirmed that even when the card is in slot one, by itself, with 4 screens plugged in, the screens will not light up.

Arg, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, but looks like it won't boot up and "just work" at least not on a 2010 mac pro.  Sad

The other thing I wonder is with 10.8.3 seemingly on track to launch and apparently support AMD 7xxx screens, perhaps it makes sense to install/use that with 2 of these cards or something like it?

http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=415

calvintml

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 05:13:28 AM »

Is hoolock listed for both cards (apple and non apple)?

Try only using the eyefinity card by itself. You won't see a grey booting screen but it may work once it gets to the desktop. If it doesn't, try to use screensharing to post what shows in system info.
jkheit
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:43 AM »

Is hoolock listed for both cards (apple and non apple)?

Try only using the eyefinity card by itself. You won't see a grey booting screen but it may work once it gets to the desktop. If it doesn't, try to use screensharing to post what shows in system info.

Thanks calvintml.  It didn't work with the card plugged in by itself. 
Hoolock was listed only for the new eyefinity, ATI Radeon HD 5770 was listed for the apple/ati card.

Will try to see if I can screen share in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: