netkas.org forum
August 23, 2019, 03:23:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing the startup chime on a 2010 Mac Pro  (Read 3925 times)
CMPXCHG8B

« on: December 04, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »

Greetings to all!

I will keep this short and simple. I'd like to replace the standard "bong" startup chime on my Mac Pro with something a little more cheerful- I've got a WAV file that was extracted and converted from my old SGI Octane 2 workstation's firmware, and I'd like to use that startup sound on my 2010 Mac Pro.

I know this is a firmware related task, which is why I'm asking here- this seems to be the origin of several Mac Pro flashing tools and many EFI gurus seem to hang around on occasion, so I was hoping one of you could offer some pointers or tips for me. I realize this probably isn't going to be a simple nor straightforward task, but I don't really care. I'm willing to get my hands dirty if that's what it takes (though, preferably, I'd rather not try anything that could result in a 100% chance to brick my logic board).

I've been scouring the internet on details that might shed some light on performing such a task. The most helpful thing I could find was a decompressed dump of the EFI modules from a 2006 Mac Pro firmware update (I'm aware it's vastly useless to me- but it was handy to have to grep around in and check out the structure of Apple's EFI). I couldn't find the tool that created this dump nor could I find any indication that the dump was even recompressable and reflashable into the EFI EPROM. It did however seem to suggest that it's not as simple as simply swapping out a raw WAV file (that would be easy, wouldn't it?)- while I couldn't locate the bong noise itself, I'm guessing that it was compiled into one of the EFI modules as a C array of the sound file data in a rudimentary codec or format that could be played at startup.

So I was wondering if someone here could potentially point me in the right direction (assuming one of you haven't already done this). I know it's a weird request, but I wanted to make my Macintosh unique and since I'm sick to death of the standard startup noise- I figured that would be a fun mod to pull off if it could be done.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
-CMPX
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: