netkas.org forum
February 22, 2020, 02:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTX 460 with nvidias new roms  (Read 9580 times)
pedrosann
Not Newbie

« on: November 22, 2010, 12:19:41 AM »

Hi guys,

I know there isn't any significant movement on this front yet, but have seen quite alot of activity over at the hackintosh forums and a little bit here.
Main point, I have a new GTX 460 palit overclocking version which I just brought for windows cuda rendering and CAD as well as a bit of gaming, and as long as it doesnt brick my card I am willing and wanting to get started on testing of some roms.

Im scribing into the Nvidia graphics driver post, but just letting you guys have a heads up. Ill upload the original rom in a bit but if anyone has any pointers on where to start the research for this. I will probably be going over some and researching myself but any help appreciated.

Ps some coding abilities and hardware knowledge so not afraid to get started if I have the right info!
Rominator

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:42:39 AM »

Nvidia hasn't released any new ROMs, just drivers. So, more than likely you can use ATY_Init to run 460 now.

ROMs are only helpful to real Macs. Hacks are good to go with drivers.

I have been begging for EFI Nvidia sewing help for more than a year. When Quadro 4000 ROM with EFI gets out, it won't do us any good because we don't know how to separate EFI portion and use with other G100 family cards. We are about to pay the price for our lack of of foresight.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
pedrosann
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »

ah but I have a 3.1 2008 octo on the desk. Lovely spanking new 460 sitting in side, not a murmer from it, spinning away.

PROBLEM : it isn't recognised in bootcamp? at all, not even in device manager etc cant see it anywhere. I still have my ATI 2600 in it but can't even download drivers and install. Is there a massive conflict with having ati and nvidia at once? Ati is running fine and dandy, but even with just 460 in nothing displays on boot, I know its running and booting, just no output.

Im running windows 7 enterprise through bootcamp for mac osx 10.5.8, is there a known problem with bootcamp and that os? I have ordered 10.6 so will try that tm, and then attempt aty_int to get it going. See what happens I guess.

Any suggestions on the no visibility in windows would be helpful.
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:24:41 AM »

Is the 460 adequately powered? I am using an external 650W to run Fermi, but was using a special cable for the 6-8 pin deal.

When I used an adapter the card wouldn't start.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
pedrosann
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 12:36:41 AM »

hmmmm that could be it, I have one 6 to 6 pin plug from the mobo to the card, which I gained off ebay, and am now thinking its probably a power issue as even though its running, it only shows as a other device under windows bootcamp and isnt accessible etc.

Won't the psu on a macpro cover it? I thought it was a 980w one? I have 3 7200rpm HD, 10GB ram, and 2 dvd drives. No other pci cards etc other than my ati as I try and sort this.

Considering the cable was from this guy   
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCIe-PCI-E-6-pin-Power-Cable-Mac-Pro-Dual-Quad-Core-G5-/250732492070?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item3a60d23526#ht_926wt_905
Will it help having 2 power cables or will that just fry itself and the mobo? Hmmm annoyed if I need an extra power for a mid level card.
I wish they would just let us upgrade workstation machines easily. Being driven more and more off of mac by the lack of support at this level.
pedrosann
Not Newbie

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »

ignore muppet ramblings. Needs 2 power cables, just went straight past that and shoved it in with the one I have! oh Well, be back with update and aty_int the second arrives. Thanks for help rom, ps any nvidia rom help required post and ill get on it ( not looking likely though)
pedrosann
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »

Working under bootcamp.

OSX 10.6.5 - can confirm no output
Following - Grey Bootscreen visible followed by light blue osx window occuring / however does not progress to osx sign in.

What would the recommended next steps be for attempting to get it running in osx.

Also Downloaded the 260.....series drives from nvidia for mac. Nothing going, not even as a slowed version ala Rom's 480 thread ( know that some wizardry was used to get it breathing ). Will read up on roms 480 post, however recommended actions grateful!
Rominator

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:25:15 AM »

insanelymac good place to read up on 460

they were having problems due to it being gf110 vs gf100 for 480

ugacdawg

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »

insanelymac good place to read up on 460

they were having problems due to it being gf110 vs gf100 for 480

Hey Rominator... are you still doing those GTX 285 ROM swaps for Mac Pro users? I'd be willing to have a card shipped to you and pay you for the service and the return shipping. Let me know @ don_t_spam_me_bro@yahoo.com.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: