netkas.org forum
February 22, 2020, 01:45:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help to decide  (Read 4631 times)
sashka

« on: March 03, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »

Hi,
 I'm new to flashing thing. I want to upgrade video card in my MacPro 3,1 (2008).
 My first idea was to grab GT120 from Apple's store but then I've found that it is possible to flash. I don't need much of performance, just want to upgrade graphic card to support OpenCL.
 It seems best card to flash would be 5770, but it will not have bootscreen when booted with DVI as far as I understand.
 What about 5670? I know it is entry level card, but also know that it was sold in iMacs (2010). Did anyone tried flashing it? Any results? I couldn't find any information for that.

Thanks.
Librarian580

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:52 PM »

I don't think anyone's flashed the 5670. The 5770 or the 4870 may be your best bets for flashing, if you're not too concerned about performance. Price on those two is dropping fast too. The 5770 doesn't have the boot screen, but most models have been uncannily obedient to flashing with just about any Mac rom as long as they follow the 2X DVI + 1X HDMI + 1X Displayport Monitor output model (or the DVI + DVI + Mini Displayport scheme on another model). If they follow one of those schemes, they are likely a reference model, and should work with little or no trouble at all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: