netkas.org forum
August 17, 2019, 02:48:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: where do I find a guide to adding EFI to a ROM? Teach a man to fish!!!!  (Read 8591 times)
aledesma
Not Newbie

« on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »

I made a rom in RBE with correct fan speeds and need to add EFI to it can anyone please send me a link to a guide on how to add the EFI myself!!!! Thanks

-A
Rominator

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »

here or at MR

the method has been detailed at least 5 times

you keep saying that the problem is fixed in WIndows via RBE but fan at 50% is OSX.

that doesn't make sense

RBE implies that you have modded the BIOS and reflashed. Have you? If so, WHat are you asking?

If RBE can mod the BIOS with EFI in it, isn't problem solved

Do you have original BIOS for your card?

Fact that you have had 2 different cards with same problem leads one to believe that problem isn't the cards or BIOS.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
aledesma
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »

Rominator, thanks for your response. I have searched in this forum but never found a guide or tutorial maybe they should be stickied it would definitely help them be found more easily. Indeed I was able to correct the problem in RBE but only in windows please excuse my ignorance but it seems that the changes dont come over when booting OS X. That is the part that I did not understand. If I successfully edited the BIOS it the changes should carry over no matter what OS I boot. When it did not I assumed I had to make the changes manually in a hex editor or something. Later I reflashed the second card and it was a lot quieter I had used the wrong ROM in my batch file. but I had to return it because I cant afford to keep both of them. I actually tried to return the ZNFR but got caught!!! LOL!!! What I have learned is that the ZNFR and ZNFC are a different hardware revision and that is why perhaps they behave differently. With the m5770.02 The ZNFR runs idle at about 60 degrees while the ZNFR runs at 40 Degrees. IT could be a defective card. The other possibility is that perhaps it is the driver causing it to behave differently in OSX than in windows is that possible? I do not know for sure. I am going to try and do a warranty exchange on the card to see if they give me a different one may that would solve all my problems.

Like the great newbie that I am I screwed up the initial backup of my original card's BIOS and contacted XFX and they gave me the attached rom as BIOS for my card. I havent done anything with it as I lack the expertise on how to actually add the EFI to it, hence this post.

Believe you me I do not wish to waste anyones time on the contrary I wish to contribute what I have learned so in the future I can assists other newbies like myself allowing Netkas and you to do the heavy lifting for the community that helps us all.

* s3c01002.102 (128 KB - downloaded 422 times.)
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:46:02 AM »

After you "fixed" rom in RBE, did you reflash with it?

We don't REALLY know how the EFI part works. In past, it always just introduced the PC BIOS, which actually ran card.

So changes to PC BIOS held into OSX.

So, did you reflash with your RBE edited BIOS?

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
aledesma
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 05:46:11 AM »

Yes, I have flashed and verified that I am running the new BIOS. I have gotten inconsistent results for instance I created a rom to test my theory where I set the fan speed at 80% no matter what for temperatures of 0º through 90º on the look up table. Since I know in windows my card idles between 55º & 67º it should crank up the fans. In windows upon my reboot the fans are screaming at 80 percent in os x the card is normal so that is where all the confusion lies. I dont believe the settings just carry over. I think that in os x the driver carries a more dominant role. Interesting right?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: