netkas.org forum
August 17, 2019, 02:51:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sapphire HD5770 Vanilla.  (Read 11362 times)
Richard79
Not Newbie

« on: November 18, 2010, 06:07:29 AM »

Ok, I'll keep this snappy 'cos I know you've all got better things to do.

I'm running a retail osx 10.6.4 with DSDT created by some guy over at insanely mac. Hardware is as follows:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Core i7 920
Sapphire HD5770 (Vanilla)
6GB Corsair tri-chanel memory...will look numbers later
Corsair 64GB SSD

I want to flash my graphics card with an EFI ROM and I'm only vaguely understanding what is discussed here.

I have backed up my current ROM using ATIFLASH and I've opened it in a hex editor.

The 5770_saphire_vanilla.rom I found on this site is exactly the same bit length as the original rom (backed up from the card) I should add, the MD5 sigs are not the same, I did check

Now I'm not sure what I do next,  I have the m5770_efi_hoolock_p.rom but this is considerably shorted (bit length) than the original rom.  I'm assuming that I combine them somehow, but I don't want to kill an expensive brand new card as a result of that assumption.

Please, any advice at all would be gratefully recieved, just try not to be too rude or dismissive.  I learn quick and didn't post here as an alternative to researching ... everything I've typed above is new information/skill to me.  I learnt most if not all from this site.

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:09:07 AM by Richard79 » Logged
Bolle

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:48:06 AM »

why do you want to flash a card for use in a hackintosh?
Richard79
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:32:29 PM »

Reasonable question.

I understand that the EFI part of the ROM will allow the card to work more to it's maximum capability? Although I could be entirely wrong, there's alot of contradictory information being banded about.  I'm on a very steep learning curve.

For example, I'm still struggling to understand why if my card is fully recognized/supported (as some have suggested) why the transitions are so poor and why I can't edit photo or watch video in full screen.  Lots of little problems like that.  I'm kinda in the dark here so please help if you have the time, if you don't, at least point me in the right direction to learn myself.

Thanks 
Rominator

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »

If your computer isn't using actual EFI to boot, adding EFI  to the ROM will do absolutely NOTHING whatsoever.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Richard79
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »

Thank you Rominator, that's good to know. So it's all about the Kext's and other thingies (technical, I know) then?
Rominator

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:03:16 PM »

insanelymac or OSX86 is where you need to look for info

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Bolle

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »

he means yes by that Tongue

you dont need an EFI compatible part in your graphics cards ROM if you dont got an EFI on your mainboard it can talk to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: