netkas.org forum
August 24, 2019, 06:29:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATI GPU Fan monitoring in OS X  (Read 11022 times)
aledesma
Not Newbie

« on: November 13, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »

Does anyone know of a way to monitor the GPU fan speed in OS X. In windows it works with a number of tools like GPUz etc... but in OS X I have a have a loud 5770 idling at 50% In windows I was able to drop it down to 20 use RBE but when I boot in mac its still loud any suggestions? Thanks to spacedust who has been helping me with this issue.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:17:58 AM by aledesma » Logged
aledesma
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »

Bump....Am I the only person out there with a noisy flashed card?HuhHuh
Bolle

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:50:16 PM »

are you using the proper ROM for your card? i mean one made from your original ROM + EFI part? or just some ROM that you think might fit for your card?

if your ROM doesnt play along with your card you can tweak the shit out of it in RBE and it will never be silent. Fan controlling doesnt work correctly if your ROM doesnt fit your card.
aledesma
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »

Greetings,

First thanks for the reply!!! I appreciate it very much. I was using rominator's m57702 rom for another XFX-577A-ZNFC so I guess it was not made specifically for my card. There is where the problem lies. to make things worse I thought I backed up my original rom and it turns out I did not. Now need to contact support for the manufacturer and see if they will give me the original rom for the card it is an XFX-577A-ZNFR . Question if I am able to get the original rom back how can I just add EFI? Again thanks for posting a reply.

-A
aledesma
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »

Greetings,

First thanks for the reply!!! I appreciate it very much. I was using rominator's m57702 rom for another XFX-577A-ZNFC so I guess it was not made specifically for my card. There is where the problem lies. to make things worse I thought I backed up my original rom and it turns out I did not. Now need to contact support for the manufacturer and see if they will give me the original rom for the card it is an XFX-577A-ZNFR . Question if I am able to get the original rom back how can I just add EFI? Again thanks for posting a reply.

-A

So I contacted XFX and he wave me the original BIOS he told me that all the "ZNFx" cards used the same bios so technically if this guys is accurate it should not matter he also told me that this is a ATI spec reference card hope that helps.
eschulist

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 02:54:35 AM »

I have a similar issue.  I flashed a 5870 and have it in my MacPro and it seems to have the fans at very high speed all the time.  Compared to videos of "5870 Sounds Tests" it seems to be around 50% speed.  The fans just seem way louder than they should when there is nothing graphically taxing on the computer (webpages, email, word docs) and when using 3D software or games the speed doesn't change.

Is there anyway to have control over this. GUI wise or making a new ROM?
aledesma
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 04:31:20 AM »

Greetings,

There is no GUI that I know of in OS X to control the card. From my test it seems that the BIOS settings one edits in windows dont come over in OS X. Rominator would know better than I but it seems that all of us are stumped for the moment.

-A
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: