netkas.org forum
March 19, 2019, 06:44:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GeForce GTX 275 and OSX 10.6.4  (Read 7043 times)
Bozster

« on: October 25, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »

Hi guys.. I have a huge issue.. one of my 8800GT cards (flashed PC cards) died in my Mac Pro (3.1 2008 model). I still have 1 working but I needed to enable my computer for 3 monitors (I have 1x 30" Dell and 2x20").

I have a spare GeForce 275GTX card lying around and I followed Netkas instructions from June 2009.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers from Apple (19.5.8f03) and I installed the injector (I believe it's the latest one made)

This is what I get:

Now it's a 768mb RAM card.. so it seems to be a bit screw up there..but I don't mind that so much..

The problem I have is that OSX won't recognize any monitors connected to this card.

So I tried to connect 2 20" monitors to 8800GT (works fine).. and a dual-link DVI for 30" one on GTX 275.. The OSX won't pick up 30"..

I tried other combinations but this card just doesn't pick up monitors.. now this card works for sure becuase I took it out of an i7 PC where I had 2 Nvidia GTX 275s with 3 monitors as well..

Can someone help me out?  I am out of ideas as to what do to.. Can this work at all?

I'm willing to flash the GTX 275 with some EFI if I need to to make it work in OSX as a native card.. Keep in mind, the GTX275 I'm using is EVGA PC 275 version.. nothing has been flashed or whatever.

Many thanks and I would really appreciate some responses as I have huge projects and I need to get this resolved like today.

Thanks again.
Bozster

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »

Okay.. so success..

it wouldn't work if GTX 275 was in SLOT 1.. native 8800GT card needs to be in SLOT1 and Geforce GTX 275 needs to be in the other x16 slot.

Now..it's all working peachy..

Now, can someone tell me if this 512mb vs 768mb ram has been fixed?

Is there any other injector that works and uses full 768 memory on the GTX275?

Many thanks.
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »

GTX275 has 896 Megs RAM.

You can alter the VRAM plist in ATY_Init but this is just window dressing.

If you run OpenGLView, it will see correct amount of RAM, as will other apps.

Congrats on the GTX275...how is powering working out?

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Bozster

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 03:39:59 AM »

Oh awesome.. so the apps will still see full ram it's just system profiler that's reporting wrong?

I am actually surprised how well this works.. no flashing needed.. pretty damn cool..

I had no problems with power too..

I took the power from the DVD drive, put a splitter, then added the 12v to 6-pin converter and hooked that up into 8800GT as it has less of a power requirement.

I used my existing 2 mac pro cables (I bought those back in the ATI days for X1900 Mac from their site for like $10 or so each) and those are coming directly from the motherboard into the 275.

I'm very happy..

Now.. is this going to work with newer ATI cards as well? Let's say I bought a 5770 from Apple (the difference between PC 5770 and Apple one is like $40) and then I bought a PC 5870 card and used the injector with 10.6.4 ATI drivers.. would this work like it does with Nvidia ones?

Rominator

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »

The ATI 5xxx series cards require a hard flash. Last time we tried using injectors, we had a mess. Possible that it works now, but nobody has been trying since all of the cards have sufficient space in EEPROM for flash. Flash is permanent, injectors sometimes need updates.

Sadly, GTX275 will only have a 64K or 128K EEPROM. It needs a 256K one to be flashed for Mac.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: