netkas.org forum
July 30, 2014, 10:04:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How far can you upgrade the CPU in a Mac Pro 1,1?  (Read 9543 times)
Golf25Radioman

« on: October 01, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »

I've read a lot in these (and others) forums on both getting Mountain Lion to run on the Mac Pro 1,1, and upgrading the CPUs.  I'm no novice, but before making a jump into putting hardware into my old trusty MP 1,1 what is the recommended CPU swap and what is the max you can do?  Do you just replace the processor or are these daughter card replacement operations?

I had a PPC Dual 1.8 GHz which was working fine but first software developers dropped PPC support then Apple did.  So the writing was on the wall.  I found a good price on a used Mac Pro 1,1 with decent RAM and plenty of HD.  Then when Mountain Lion came out I was disappointed that it left out my MP.  I've been researching both the ways around installing ML and in that search found people who had swapped out the 1,1 CPUs (currently mine has two 3.0 GHz duals).  I found a lot of Xeon CPU numbers mentioned, but am not sure what direction to take.

Right now I have a very reliable Mac Pro running Lion 10.7.5 (which happens to be my home network server - of sorts; all my net disks are connected to it).  Should I go messing around with it.  I already bought the Apple 5770 graphics card with the intent of going to ML.  Even if I don't go to ML the card is still a good investment since Photoshop would be happier (and a few other apps).

I'm a life long car guy, could never leave my cars be, and computers are my outlet so I like to tinker and am good at it with that car background (was a professional GM Technician).  So what do you all think I should do - go for it or be happy with it as is?

Tom
Golf25Radioman

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »

Interesting note here...  As I said, I had the 5770 graphics card, but I also had bought eight more GB of RAM off eBay a while back - just had not installed either.  I just now went and installed the 5770 and the RAM and booted up.  I was surprised at the performance increase.  The RAM I replaced was 512 MB (probably the originally installed from Apple - two were in the top card, two in the bottom) and the RAM I bought was Crucial.  Maybe it's not all the amount of RAM but that now all slots are populated with 2 GB sticks.  I'm not sure what, if any, performance improvement the 5770 had but I like it.  Now if I do go ahead and upgrade the CPU, etc., I'm ready (already have two 3 GHz Xeon duals).  I found a great YouTube video on replacing the CPUs.  After watching it I was pretty confident that it's something I could do.  But, with the EFI stuck in 32 bit land not much besides a trick will allow Mountain Lion to install.  But, I may leave things alone for the sake of stability.

Tom
argyu2

www.birthmarkmusic.com

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »

Hi! Regarding the upgrade of the processors, i'd say that it depends on what things you're doing with your mac. If you're working with apps that can make use of extra cores, like final cut, premiere, 3d rendering programs e.t.c., the X5355 or E5345 processors, which are compatible with the mac pro 1.1, are going to make a difference in rendering times. If you are a casual user, i wouldn't suggest upgrading your processors. Take a look at this article:
http://ibc.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=83846.
Your gpu is just fine if you don't care for the latest games. Having an SSD as system drive and adding ram will make your mac feel snappier.
I followed this guide:
http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47
to install mountain lion on my mac pro 1.1 and it works as a charm. 100% stable and able to update normally via App Store.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:24:58 PM by argyu2 » Logged
Golf25Radioman

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »

Hi! Regarding the upgrade of the processors, i'd say that it depends on what things you're doing with your mac. If you're working with apps that can make use of extra cores, like final cut, premiere, 3d rendering programs e.t.c., the X5355 or E5345 processors, which are compatible with the mac pro 1.1, are going to make a difference in rendering times. If you are a casual user, i wouldn't suggest upgrading your processors. Take a look at this article:
http://ibc.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=83846.
Your gpu is just fine if you don't care for the latest games. Having an SSD as system drive and adding ram will make your mac feel snappier.
I followed this guide:
http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47
to install mountain lion on my mac pro 1.1 and it works as a charm. 100% stable and able to update normally via App Store.

Thank you for the advice.  It is a balancing act when trying to decide these things - not just because you want to but for valid reasons (as you describe).  Thanks also for the links.  I've been reading the jabbawok.net stories/guides on the ML install, but will hold off for a bit.  An old web authoring program (GoLive) became incapable to run on ML 10.8.2 (it did run on ML when it first came out though).  I only use it for an old menu program that the author has not rewritten for Dreamweaver.  I'm still in a search for a non Flash based menu program, but nothing has compared to the old one (MenuMachine) for ease of use.  The issues with Flash and Apple mobile devices is why I'm still looking.  So, for now, the Mac Pro will stay at Lion 10.7.5 because it still runs GoLive. 

I wish the SSDs were not so dang expensive.  I've got a kit for my MacBook Pro to take the space of the optical drive for an SSD and it comes with an enclosure to make the optical drive external.  Just have not installed it.  I do have an open sled in the Mac Pro so maybe an SSD big enough for the OS is in the future.

Thanks again for the reply and advice.

Tom
Golf25Radioman

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

The 5355 & 5345 are 2.XX GHz, do you happen to know what the 3.XX GHz numbers are, and if they are worth the extra GHz?  I would presume that a quad core with less GHz would be faster just because of the cores.  But I think I've seen 3.XX GHz numbers mentioned somewhere.  Just for my own curiosity - think I'm staying where I'm at for a bit. 

Tom
Elandrion

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »

The 3GHz model is called x5365, also see http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20X5365%20-%20HH80563KJ0808MP%20(BX80563X5365A%20-%20BX80563X5365P).html for more info on that cpu family. Compared to the x5355 they are quite expensive though, you'll have to make up your mind whether you have enough single thread workload to benefit from the increased cpu frequency.
Golf25Radioman

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 05:45:51 AM »

The 3GHz model is called x5365, also see http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20X5365%20-%20HH80563KJ0808MP%20(BX80563X5365A%20-%20BX80563X5365P).html for more info on that cpu family. Compared to the x5355 they are quite expensive though, you'll have to make up your mind whether you have enough single thread workload to benefit from the increased cpu frequency.

All this CPU, Firmware, etc., is there a chance that the 1,1 RAM could become incompatible if one went as far as possible with the 1,1?  I know it's the slower 667, and the newer (not sure what year it started) are 1033(?).  I should probably make a decision as to when is enough soon.

I found the Firmware Tool created by a user here, to go from the 2006 to 2007 (1,1 to 2,1 Mac Pro) - by the way, a big thanks to the genius who wrote them - the 2006 - 2007 worked perfectly as described.  I was going to look to see if I could go 2007 - 2008, 2008 - 2009, or am I looking for trouble here. 

As to the CPU swap, a 3 GHz 5365, could also throw some monkey wrenches in there - maybe?  And would the 2.66 (quads) be dangerous too?  I'm at a stable point here, want to take small steps.  I've read many tout the old Mac Pro 1,1 as a very capable machine, and could even do 64 bit if Apple had let it; the Xeon 3.0 GHz duals are 64 bit capable.

Tom
wind06

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »

Hi,

I upgraded few weeks ago my MacPro 1,1 2006 with 2 Intel Xeon X5365 - 3 GHz Quad-Core (HH80563KJ0808MP) Processor SLAED
that I bought through eBay 400US$ for 2. The installation is quite easy.

The Machine is now more powerful for video conversion, calculation and applications.

my machine can run 10.8.2, but 10.7.5 seems to be more stable at least under 10.8 I got application crash not seen with 10.7...

MacPro 1,1 - 2 x 2,99 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Rom Revision: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version: 1.7f10
9 Go 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 Mo
OS X 10.8.5 (12F37)
perpacity

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »

I installed 14gb of ram, two x5355s, and an Apple 5770. It did boost the speed enormously. It is not able to run ML, though. My comp seems to be the exception... I hope your comp isn't an exception as well!
Grunken

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »

I installed 14gb of ram, two x5355s, and an Apple 5770. It did boost the speed enormously. It is not able to run ML, though. My comp seems to be the exception... I hope your comp isn't an exception as well!

Is it a requirement to update the Mac Pro firmware to 2,1 for the x5355s to work/be recognized ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: