netkas.org forum
August 11, 2020, 04:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATI Firepro v7900; any experience or advice re: most similar chipset  (Read 3033 times)
dkmn

« on: August 15, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »

Hello All,

For a number of reasons, I'm going to try an ATI FirePro v7900 in my current Hackintosh.  
(currently running 10.7 and 3 x Nvidia 9800GT cards for 5-6 monitors)

I have very limited prior experience with the ATI cards on OSX86 (a couple years ago). It looks like there's been a lot of progress since then, with reports of some modern ATI cards running easily with 10.8 and the netkas EFI!  

Does anyone have direct experience with this card, or have any thoughts on the best "similar" advice to follow.  I have found that this card uses the "Cayman" GPU chip, but I don't have a great sense of how similar this would make it to some of the other high-end consumer cards.  From what I've gathered, I'll have to make sure that the cards hardware signature is in (or is edited into) the appropriate .kext.  

A few questions from what I've gleaned from Dr. Google:  
-Is ATI6000controller.kext the appropriate driver/header to try with this card?  
-Will things work better if I upgrade to Mountain Lion *before* attempting to use this card (on Lion now)?  
-Is there anything I should bear in mind if I'm coming from the approach of custom DSDT (had to edit for multiple cards in the past) and Chameleon/Chimera bootloader?  I am thinking that starting with a stock DSDT is probably a necessary first step.  

Thanks,
David

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:13:35 PM by dkmn » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: