netkas.org forum
November 20, 2017, 08:16:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making an EFI string for dual Nvidia cards (PCIe and PCI)?  (Read 25857 times)
kasakka

« on: September 03, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »

I've got two Nvidia cards in my machine at the moment. A GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (PCIe) and now also a GeForce 6200 128 MB (PCI). I got the 6200 so that I could use three monitors (1920x1200 + 1920x1080 HDTV on the 8800 and 1600x1200 on 6200). Now, the problem is that I can't seem to get them to work at the same time.

I can get either card (at least resolutionwise, didn't check if QE/CI works on 6200, 8800 works 100%) to work when it's the only card in the machine, but how do I get them both to work at the same time?

I've tried using EFIStudio to make the hex and also tried gfxutil to get the device path because I thought that was the problem since EFIStudio seems to try to have the same path for both graphics cards. gfxutil -f display shows only one string.

So to sum it up:
- How do I get the device path (PciRoot) for both cards?
- How do I create an EFI string so both cards work at the same time?

Thanks in advance
kasakka

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:49:07 AM »

Answering myself. You need to take one graphics card out, use gfxutil to get the device path, then swap graphics cards to get the second device path. Following http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?board=hack1&action=display&thread=569 helped me a lot, now both of my graphics cards are working (QE/CI enabled). Getting my HDTV to show picture required a lot of fiddling with the TV settings for some reason but now it also works nicely.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:18:01 AM by kasakka » Logged
indraganzo

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:42:08 PM »

I am trying to run two cards( Nvidia 7600 GS and Nvidia 7300 GS ) on my hackintosh (check signature for specs) too .. I applied the strings for each pci-e with correct addresses, when I plug just one card on any slot it works with no problems ( either primary slot or secondary)... But when I plug both cards at the same time only the card in the primary slot works until the apple logo crashes ..... The card on the second Pci-e slot does not work from the beginning of the startup from the bios level...
   What am I doing wrong??
  is it smthng to do with the mobo?

I know from the posts that a lot of people run two graphic cards on their hackintoshes I just have to solve this too for my third monitor.
   Please help

Mobo: MSI 975x Platinum PU edition CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad 6600 @ 2.89 Ghz GFX Card: Sparkle NVidia 7600 GS 256mb Memory: 4 x 1gb DDR2 667mhz HD: Seagate Baracuda 7200 80GB Os: Leopard 10.5.5 vanilla Kexts ,Sleep and Shutdown ok
gu3d3s

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 01:29:58 AM »

Hi,

I have same problem , try w 8800GT and 7300GS in Intel XBX2 board, if boot only w one card all works fine, but is try boot w 2 VGa system freze in Apple logo.

In XBX2 bios no have any option for config 2 VGA cards, only 1# boot device PCI ou PEG.

Any one have luck e Intel XBX2 board?
kocoman

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:00:11 AM »

Can't get 6600GT and 7300LE (both pci-e) to work ...

running single each will work fine with qe/ci, but when together will just give black screen when loginmanager loads.

Sujains4445

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »

I have two NVidia 8400GS 250MB cards. I used OSx86 Instruments to create a plist for one graphics card and copied it a second time for my different graphics card.

With GFXUtil and the primary card installed I appeared up the DevicePath wich is PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0). Then I took out the primary card and insert the second card within the second slot and dit the same thing, PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x6,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0).

I've copied the above values into the plist created with OSx86 Tools. Then I created a hex file out of the plist with GFXUtil and put the output into com.apple.boot.plist.

After putting both card in the machine and boot up Mac OS X I get a kernel panic. When utilizing the verbose possibility I get a black screen. Please advise.

I managed to get it working with the plist below.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
   <dict>
      <key>@0,compatible</key>
      <string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
      <key>@0,device_type</key>
      <string>display</string>
      <key>@0,name</key>
      <string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
      <key>@1,compatible</key>
      <string>NVDA,NVMac</string>