netkas.org forum
July 21, 2019, 10:22:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vervet, Uakari, Motmot, Alopias et al. What are they?  (Read 5891 times)
jeanlain

« on: September 10, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »

Hi, there are some fancy animals living in radeon drivers and ROMs. As I understand, they are code names from frame buffers. But what are frame buffers actually? To me a frame buffer is some portion of VRAM where images are stored before display. Why are there so many frame buffers for radeonHD 5000 series (all named after monkeys)? Do they correspond to different cards? I guess not since a card can use different frame buffers. What's the differences between them?

So many questions...  Grin

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:18:37 AM by jeanlain » Logged
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »

sjobs@apple.com
Cindori

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »

are they not named by birds? or perhaps that was only 4000.

http://groths.org
Tools and news about Mac graphics and Hackintosh
lastExile
Global Moderator
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:32:23 AM »

Hi, there are some fancy animals living in radeon drivers and ROMs. As I understand, they are code names from frame buffers. But what are frame buffers actually? To me a frame buffer is some portion of VRAM where images are stored before display. Why are there so many frame buffers for radeonHD 5000 series (all named after monkeys)? Do they correspond to different cards? I guess not since a card can use different frame buffers. What's the differences between them?

So many questions...  Grin

if you know what boons are than you know what these are Smiley

Report all spam and i will take care of it
jeanlain

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »

I didn't ask about the choice of a particular code name (they used sharks, birds, and now monkeys), but about the presence of several "frame buffers" for a given GPU.
I doubt Steve Jobs will reply, if he even knows anything about this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: